As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you clean the outside of a Romini with?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you clean the outside of a Romini with?

Would like to spend sometime this weekend cleaning the outside if the Romini and wondered whether I needed a proper fibreglass cleaner or could I use something else. Someone suggested TCUT and I wondered whether the cleaner I use on my PVC window frames would work well..
    Also where would I get some more orange and brown stripes from please
    MS.RoMiNi

Romini

Originally posted by Sobby 2711 View Post
    Would like to spend sometime this weekend cleaning the outside if the Romini and wondered whether I needed a proper fibreglass cleaner or could I use something else. Someone suggested TCUT and I wondered whether the cleaner I use on my PVC window frames would work well..
    Also where would I get some more orange and brown stripes from please
    Hi Sobby. I usially cl
    ean my van with the usual caravan cleaner,then I useTcut pvc cleaner, which gets any streaky marks off. As for the stripes, I replaced my brown stripe. Go onto ebay and type in stripeworld.They do various widths of stripe.I think I bought a 40mm one and cut it down to 30mm since they didn't do the brown in 30mm

Pam

Comment

Beware of Tcut on fibreglass as it contains ammonia which can react with fibreglass. There will be something in the Farecela range that will suit. I have used their G3 product in the past with some success

Peter

Comment

Thanks Pam that's been a great help I shall look on eBay now
        MS.RoMiNi

Comment

Thanks for the warning Peter, I shall try in a hidden place if I need too
          MS.RoMiNi

Comment

Last Spring I tried Cif in a bucket of water.
            It cleared the dark streaks perfectly and I cannot detect any after effects. I will probably do the same next year.
            If it dissolves my Romini I will let you know!
            Jim.
            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Thanks Jim I shall try cif I still prefer the old name of jif.
              MS.RoMiNi

Comment

I use Oxalic Acid to remove stubborn stains on GRP. This is my GRP Gelcoat restoration kit:

I also found that CIF/JIF does remove black streaks and rust stains equally as well. To get the shine back, 3M Fibreglass restorer & Wax.I remove vinyl stripes, graphics and labels using a hair dryer. Invariably most of the glue gets left behind and not much will shift it, hence the HG Sticker Remover. I got all these items on eBay!

I can endorse Pam's suggestion of "Stripeworld". They'll also do the "Island Plastics" logo. I've not attacked my Romini yet but have recently finished restoring my 1984 Leisure 17-SL Sailing Cruiser:

The boat was a mess when I got it. When I re-launched her, the guys at the yard thought they were launching a brand new boat! I hope my little Romini comes up as well.

Steve
                Steve Carey

Comment

Romini cleaner

I didn't know stripeworld did the island plastics logo. I'll check that out

Pam

Comment

That restoration boat is beautiful.
                    You must feel very proud.

Do you have any before pictures?

Comment

I didn't know stripeworld did the island plastics logo. I'll check that out

Pam
                      Hi Pam . . . they probably haven't but they can do almost anything given the artwork. They did a near perfect match my "Leisure 17-SL" in the original font for my boat. Before:

After:

I'll do some artwork in the next day or so.

Steve
                      Steve Carey

Comment

What do you clean

That boat logo looks excellent. I'm also going try the 3m fibreglass and wax restorer next year. Would it be better to use a buffer to buff it up?

Pam

Comment

. . . . I did it all by hand using soft cloths (old tee shirts, I now have few clothes to wear!) A powered buffer would make much lighter work of it.

I sold Emma in June but now have a Tiki 26ft Polynesian Catamaran. It's a re-spray job. However, my Romini is first on the list. She's now under a tarpaulin an I should be able to do work through the winter . . . .

. . . . A little tip though. Never work on graphics in the winter. The vinyl needs to be warm as does the surface to going to be applied to. It's also a beast removing old stripes in cold weather too.

Steve
                          Steve Carey

Comment

Originally posted by G4MJW View Post
                            Hi Pam . . . they probably haven't but they can do almost anything given the artwork. They did a near perfect match my "Leisure 17-SL" in the original font for my boat.

Wow that boat is fantastic you have done a fab job of cleaning it up Steve, thanks for all the help and photos of items you use to clean your boat with
                            MS.RoMiNi

Comment

Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
                              That boat logo looks excellent. I'm also going try the 3m fibreglass and wax restorer next year. Would it be better to use a buffer to buff it up?

Pam
                              Just bought some online, th cheapest seemed to be 3m select.co.uk , £12.62 for 1 litre bottles and free postage if you spend £20. I bought two to get free postage so if anyone wants to buy my other bottle let me know, I can bring it to a meet up.
                              MS.RoMiNi

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X