As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romini door seal

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Romini door seal

    Due to the severe wind a few days ago. I found the door seal lying on the ground. It does not want to go back in but I'll try agin later.

    What id strike me was that the door seal on my door oes not go under the door. But looking at the ones on ebay the shape of the door means the seal goes all the way around. Just wondred if this was a style difference or is my little van just different. Pam

    #2
    Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
    Due to the severe wind a few days ago. I found the door seal lying on the ground. It does not want to go back in but I'll try agin later.

    What id strike me was that the door seal on my door oes not go under the door. But looking at the ones on ebay the shape of the door means the seal goes all the way around. Just wondred if this was a style difference or is my little van just different. Pam
    Hi Pam,
    I just had a look at mine.
    The door seal is actually on the van and the door buts up to it. It is continuous, though obviously there is a point where both ends meet up.
    I cannot see how wind could displace it with the door shut. And I think it very unlikely even with the door open.
    Or do you mean the black plastic filler strip on the outer side of the door set into an aluminium strip? If so that is purely to hide the screws. It does not seal anything.
    Perhaps you need to treat us to a photo?
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

    Comment


      #3
      Romini door seal

      Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
      Hi Pam,
      I just had a look at mine.
      The door seal is actually on the van and the door buts up to it. It is continuous, though obviously there is a point where both ends meet up.
      I cannot see how wind could displace it with the door shut. And I think it very unlikely even with the door open.
      Or do you mean the black plastic filler strip on the outer side of the door set into an aluminium strip? If so that is purely to hide the screws. It does not seal anything.
      Perhaps you need to treat us to a photo?
      Jim.
      You're right Jim I should have said trim not seal. See pics. The trim should be to the left of the hinges. But it does not go under the bottom of the door. If I still have bother getting the trim back in the track(you need three hands). I thought i might put a bead of sealant all around. Is that a good or bad idea
      Pam
      Last edited by pamsicle; 05-04-2012, 19:15. Reason: add to

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Pam, If the trim strip is what I think, it is "U" shaped in section and it needs the open sides of the "U" pinching in as you proceed. The plastic age hardens and perhaps more significantly it shrinks over the years. So that it becomes loose and also becomes too short.
        It would probably be easiest to fit new insert. Seals Direct are very good for such things. I always seem to be recommending them to somebody! Heres the link.
        http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/
        Hope it helps. Jim.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
          You're right Jim I should have said trim not seal. See pics. The trim should be to the left of the hinges. But it does not go under the bottom of the door. If I still have bother getting the trim back in the track(you need three hands). I thought i might put a bead of sealant all around. Is that a good or bad idea
          Pam
          Hi Pam
          I replaced the ones on my Romini and Junes demountable last weekend. Jim's right, they go brittle and shrink over the years. I bought enough to do the door, all around the centre trim and above the windows. With the new trim I put it in hot water and prised it in with my thumb nail (no doubt specialist tools are available). Make sure you keep pressing it in against itself to avoid stretching it otherwise it will shrink quicker than usual.

          All the Rominis I've noticed have a radius on all 4 corners of the door and I notice yours is square at the bottom.

          Peter
          Last edited by Mayfair Pete; 05-04-2012, 21:13.

          Comment


            #6
            Romini seals

            Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
            Hi Pam, If the trim strip is what I think, it is "U" shaped in section and it needs the open sides of the "U" pinching in as you proceed. The plastic age hardens and perhaps more significantly it shrinks over the years. So that it becomes loose and also becomes too short.
            It would probably be easiest to fit new insert. Seals Direct are very good for such things. I always seem to be recommending them to somebody! Heres the link.
            http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/
            Hope it helps. Jim.
            Jim that is new trim. The original had shrunk by about 6 inches on either side. So last year it was replaced.I did pinch it together and worked my way up the door. But when i came to the curve of the door at the top, it got tricky trying to control going around the corner pinching it in and holding the trim. So I gave in. I'll get a friend to give me a hand.

            Pam

            Comment


              #7
              There seems to be a lot of variations in the doors of the Rominis I have come across, though all seem to have top and bottom radiuses (or should that be radii?).
              Other differences with yours, disregarding the lack of bottom window which may or may not be fitted, is the "pebble" finish where others seem to be smooth and the ventilator which does not appear on all, though mine has one, set much lower than yours.
              Taking into account that I remember you have an offset upper window and the "pebble" finish with square bottom corners. I wonder if the whole door has at some time been replaced?
              If fashioned from a larger door it could explain the differences.
              Please don't think I am criticising! In my book as long as it is sound, having something different is appealing. Which accounts for my strange taste in cars and my tendency to modify my motorbikes to individualise them. NOT pimping!
              Jim.

              IF you can Pam, try to squeeze in the longest length you can manage. Fitting it tends to stretch it sometimes and it apparently shrinks as it settles and makes matters worse over time.
              By the way, looking at mine just now I see one top corner has come out and will not stretch back into place.
              Ignorance WAS bliss
              Last edited by Twolitre; 05-04-2012, 22:00. Reason: Missed Pam's reply posted while I was typing.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

              Comment


                #8
                Romini door seal

                Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                There seems to be a lot of variations in the doors of the Rominis I have come across, though all seem to have top and bottom radiuses (or should that be radii?).
                Other differences with yours, disregarding the lack of bottom window which may or may not be fitted, is the "pebble" finish where others seem to be smooth and the ventilator which does not appear on all, though mine has one, set much lower than yours.
                Taking into account that I remember you have an offset upper window and the "pebble" finish with square bottom corners. I wonder if the whole door has at some time been replaced?
                If fashioned from a larger door it could explain the differences.
                Please don't think I am criticising! In my book as long as it is sound, having something different is appealing. Which accounts for my strange taste in cars and my tendency to modify my motorbikes to individualise them. NOT pimping!
                Jim.

                IF you can Pam, try to squeeze in the longest length you can manage. Fitting it tends to stretch it sometimes and it apparently shrinks as it settles and makes matters worse over time.
                By the way, looking at mine just now I see one top corner has come out and will not stretch back into place.
                Ignorance WAS bliss
                Isn't the serial number on the door frame(I can't remember) my serial number matches the one on the tow hitch and etched on the windws.


                Pam

                Comment


                  #9
                  Mine is on the top hinge. Your hinges do look the same as mine.
                  If your door has been changed the same hinges would possibly have been used?
                  Jim.
                  Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

                  Comment

                  320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                  Collapse

                  728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X