As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romini spare wheel

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romini spare wheel

Had a chance at a spare wheel for the Romini.It would have been free but when a friend came to check it for fit the four holes were smaller than the original wheel and just a gnats whisker out. Didn't know wether or not it was feasible to drill the holes slighty bigger but I thought it was chancy. So I'm still looking.

Pam
    Last edited by pamsicle; 26-04-2012, 15:18. Reason: spelling

HI Pam, never be tempted to try to adapt wheels to fit on ANY road vehicle.
    If you look closely you will see that the nuts (or bolts) have a taper which corresponds with a receiving taper in the wheel. Those tapers effectively keep the wheel nuts (or bolts again) from coming undone. They MUST align perfectly to do their job. Altering the wheel holes in any way is DANGEROUS! And I do hope to meet up with you one day, fit and well!
    While on this subject. Tightening wheels up tighter than can be managed with the tool provided by the vehicle manufacturer is also dangerous. And so many people (including tyre fitters) often do so. The studs or bolts may snap on the road and the entire centre of the wheel has been known to breakaway! Not infrequently on Morris Minors!
    Keep Safe Pam.
    Jim.
    Last edited by Twolitre; 26-04-2012, 16:53. Reason: Missed "i" out. No not "I" - A letter "i"
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
      Had a chance at a spare wheel for the Romini.It would have been free but when a friend came to check it for fit the four holes were smaller than the original wheel and just a gnats whisker out. Didn't know wether or not it was feasible to drill the holes slighty bigger but I thought it was chancy. So I'm still looking.

Pam

Hi Pam. Do you think WE can get the holes drilled out. As long as the centres are the same it should take a little bit larger hole. But how much larger?

Goro

Comment

Goro,
        Pam said the holes did not quite line up, as well as being slightly out of line. Which indicates that the pitch circle diameter is different and that the tapers will not therefore align either.
        My (professional) advice is "leave well alone". Safety comes first!
        Also, as there are many older wheels still around with Imperial pitch circle diameters along with very NEARLY the same, but Metric dimensions care is always needed in selecting correct sizes.
        A chap with a car like mine fitted Fiat wheels to his car, which was built tp Imperial measurements. He insisted they were "close enough" and would never accept that the tiny difference accounted for his wheels frequently workeing loose and needed checking almost weekly.
        Jim.

Comment

I bow to your superior knowledge. I missed the bit about the centres being out. Thought it was just a slightly larger hole.
          Goro.

Comment

Romini spare wheel

A chap who is doing dome work or me and knew I was looking for a spare has turned up with a new rim which fits the vn perfectly. I just need to have a tyre put on it when I have time. Just cost me a tenner

Pam

Comment

Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
              A chap who is doing dome work or me and knew I was looking for a spare has turned up with a new rim which fits the vn perfectly. I just need to have a tyre put on it when I have time. Just cost me a tenner

Pam
              Wonderful Pam!
              That is the safe way to go.
              All you have to do now is plan a safe and convenient way to store it on the van.

Jim.

Comment

Romini spare wheel

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                Wonderful Pam!
                That is the safe way to go.
                All you have to do now is plan a safe and convenient way to store it on the van.

Jim.
                Went this morning sith the wheel hub, o tje local tyre place and hey fitted a tyre on £25. I have a plastic coated chain which I fed through the centre hole and padlocked the chain. When on site it can be chained to a leg steady nd put under the van. Now nearly sorted. My first outing this year is to the Lakes. I've booked 4 days at The Cove site at. Watermillick in May. Looking forward to it. Haven't been for years. It only takes me 2 hours to get over there So pretty close.

Pam

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X