This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romini shower enclosure for Wild Camping

We don't use organised campsites much, if at all actually ... preferring to wild camp in remote places, arriving late and leaving early. Neither do we use an awning. Stand-up body washing in the confines of a Romini is hardly satisfactory beyond a couple of days, so we have been trying to come up with an idea for a shower that suits the way we operate. I didn't want to create anything that required any drilling or cutting of the GRP, it had to leave the bodywork unblemished. Here is my first effort cobbled together from junk in the garage: A carefully shaped plywood bracket hooks onto the door top, a bent-PVC pipe frame locates on the ledge above the door and is supported by the bracket. The curtain runs on the pipe, the bottom end is tensioned out. It's a bit 'snug' and I've yet to try it out, but first signs are encouraging.

FOLDER OF PHOTOS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2715522...7629981902770/

I've ordered up a Hozelock 5 Litre pressure shower thingy and will be testing the system out shortly.
    Note to self: DON'T use the outside light if showering at night, nobody deserves to witness such a sight, even in silhouette!

Mike, that is ingenious.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Looks good - but move the van after showering or you'll be stepping out into a mudbath!
      Sue

Comment

You need something to stand in or on as well.

I've got the hozelock shower, it works very well - but I use mine inside an awning out of the breeze, or inside my little loo tent!

Comment

A shower on the Wild Side

I'd reckoned to shower last thing before bed, standing on the step-up we use to get into the 'van to avoid muddiness and let the water take its chances ... it'll only be 2 or 3 litres. We'll be gone the next morning and it will surely soak away to ground? It's not like 'proper' campsite camping after all. I could of course shower in 'wellies' ... but perhaps that's a little kinky!

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroch View Post
            I'd reckoned to shower last thing before bed, standing on the step-up we use to get into the 'van to avoid muddiness and let the water take its chances ... it'll only be 2 or 3 litres. We'll be gone the next morning and it will surely soak away to ground? It's not like 'proper' campsite camping after all. I could of course shower in 'wellies' ... but perhaps that's a little kinky!
            " When the officers apprehended the accused M`lud, he was standing starkers on a plastic stool wearing a pair of wellies filled with warm soapy water!"
            "He responded - I wanted to know if it felt Kinky -M`lud"
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
              " When the officers apprehended the accused M`lud, he was standing starkers on a plastic stool wearing a pair of wellies filled with warm soapy water!"
              Will never be able to look at wellies in the same way again!
              Carpe diem! :)

Comment

I can picture it!

Very ingenious, but I wouldn't trust the shower curtain not to blow the wrong way at the wrong time.

Comment

All joking aside I think this is brilliant for anyone who likes wild camping and longs for a shower. As the Romini door frames are more or less the same as the C15 it could be used for them as well.

I have asked Mike if he would let me put it on the website and he has kindly agreed, so it will be there for posterity. I will post when it is there.

A big thank you to Mike for sharing this idea.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

------------------------------------------------

This is a brilliant, 'think outside of the box' solution...literally! Well done.
                    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                      Sue

Comment

make up small duck board that fit in the well of the van and use mat on top then you have duck board for everday use on site and mat to wipe off any grass on shoes then you have best of both worlds somewhere to stand on when in shower and mat to save puddles on rear floor and absorbs the moisture

Comment

Ingenious is certainly the word!

I reckon the weighting adaptation for the bottom of the curtain could be useful in quite a few campsite showers too!
                          I've frequently found the curtain creeping inwards to wrap its clammy self around me. I guess it's air flowing in to replace the warmed up air that's risen as the shower heats it. But I'm no physicist or engineer, so what do I know?

Geoff
                          Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
                            Ingenious is certainly the word!

I reckon the weighting adaptation for the bottom of the curtain could be useful in quite a few campsite showers too!
                            I've frequently found the curtain creeping inwards to wrap its clammy self around me. I guess it's air flowing in to replace the warmed up air that's risen as the shower heats it. But I'm no physicist or engineer, so what do I know?

Geoff
                            You could always use tent pegs instead of weights, and a few bits of velcro to keep the sides closed against the van.

Comment

Have I misled folks with my bits of wood?

When I made the No.1 prototype and fitted it to the van it was standing on my drive ... which is much too hard to take pegs. I couldn't find any suitable rocks so, being a bit idle, I just grabbed a few bits of scrap wood to weight it in place for the photos.

The plan has always been to use tent pegs if the ground is suitable,

Sorry if I've caused confusion.

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X