As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anybody tried this?

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anybody tried this?

I nipped across the road to my local auto shop to buy some spray paint to paint wheel trims on caravan. I noticed they were selling spray bumper paint and aked if that would be any good for spraying the faded black trim around he wheel arch on the Romini. He the said "hairdryer" I asked what he meant and he said using a hairdryer in the plastic wheel arch would bring the colour back.

Anybody heard of this idea? Pam

Originally posted by Pam Park View Post
    I nipped across the road to my local auto shop to buy some spray paint to paint wheel trims on caravan. I noticed they were selling spray bumper paint and aked if that would be any good for spraying the faded black trim around he wheel arch on the Romini. He the said "hairdryer" I asked what he meant and he said using a hairdryer in the plastic wheel arch would bring the colour back.

News to me,the colour is part of the plastic I thought and I dont see how applying heat can help!,
    Ant told me once he spray paints Romahome quarter bumpers with black gloss when they get marked,but I suggest you Ask Ant he is the expert!
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I should think you would need to use a plastic primer before the main spray paint, otherewise it will just peel off the plastic?

Comment

Trim Restorer

Originally posted by Pam Park View Post

Pam this is what Body Repair Shops do they use a heat gun BUT be aware a hairdryer is better in unexperianced hands, if you have plenty to do go get a bit of old trim from a scrap yard to try first.

Alf

Comment

Has anybody

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
          Pam this is what Body Repair Shops do they use a heat gun BUT be aware a hairdryer is better in unexperianced hands, if you have plenty to do go get a bit of old trim from a scrap yard to try first.

Alf
          Thanks Alf. The bloke in the car shop did sy to use a hairdryer and not a heat gun as it might be too hot. Pam

Comment

When I asked the forum members if anyone knew how to bring plastic bumpers back to life I received several suggestions, most intriguing of which was JayJays suggestion of polishing them up using smooth peanut butter! I have to admit I didn't try any of them, frightened of making things worse I guess!
            derek b and Babs

Comment

A hairdryer might work depending on how milky the trim has gone. Worth a shot I suppose.

I use a product called armourall on my classic car for the tyres and on the vinyl. There are 2 sorts, a cleaner and a protector and they work very well at restoring the sheen to plastic, rubber and vinyl. They are no longer available new in the UK but you see lots on ebay so its not hard to get hold of.

It does require regular treatments to keep it looking nice though so it is a bit of thankless task.
              Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X