As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Romini Condensation

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romini Condensation

Went camping in Romini in parents field this weekend and boy was it cold Saturday night!! In the morning my toothbrush had started to freeze in the mug, there was an amazing hoare frost and 'steam' was rolling above the weir. My main concern is we woke to find ice on the inside of the windows and the van dripping with condensation while the blanket I had put on top of the duvet had beads of water all over it.

I had left the skylight partly open but wondered if this amount of condensation was normal and if so how we might prevent it next time as there is no electrics in the field. Has anyone tried large containers of desiccate?

It was still a fantastic weekend - hopefully I have managed to attach a couple of photos - including one of my partner getting my morning 'bath' water ready!!!!!! Only joking, it was so cold I didn't wash for 3 days
    Attached Files
    When I say I have itchy feet I don't mean I have Athletes Foot.

Lovely photo's!

I got a lot of condensation in my caravan with the cold nights last time I went out. It is just the time of the year. I made some silver screens for the inside of my romahome demountable, from insulating car screens and a couple of extra suckers on each one, so they stuck to the windows behind the curtains and that helped a lot.

I had carpet on my roof inside the roma, professionally fitted corded stuff. Can't say it ever dripped on me. Do you have carpet on the ceiling?

Comment

Hello Cider Gypsy

Some great pictures there but made me feel cold just thinking about it.

I noticed you have put this in members only section, did you mean to do this or can I move it to the Romini Section of the forum?
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

They're great photos CG...... Hoare frosts are just beautiful aren't they? Even better if you're warm. I've no new suggestions re condensation, insulation, ventilation and 'dry' heat, but looks like you're onto that already. Will be interested in other's experience of this.
        I think it's a great time of year for camping.
        All the best
        Andyvan

Comment

Can we all come camping in the parents field and test to see if we get a lot of condensation? Looks lovely...

Re the condensation... car silver screens put on the window will help ..
          I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
          http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

As always, the answer lies in eliminating the cause.
            JUST STOP BREATHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Jim
            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Two Litre has it bang on ... I used to take blokes training at this time of year and they all moaned endlessly that the modern tents we were using leaked. Two or three guys in a hike tent will exhale about 2 litres of water, once it has condensed on the cold tent and run down to pool on the groundsheet it can be a darned nuisance. Try this little experiment: Get some accurate electronic bathroom scales and, just before you turn in for the night, pee mightily before weighing. Sleep. With knees locked together weigh yourself next morning before seeking relief. I bet you'll notice a difference of almost a litre/kilo; any difference will be entirely due to the weight of water lost through respiration. Why do you think you are gasping for a 'cuppa' first thing? .... Because you are dehydrated! Slimmers: Always weigh yourself first thing in the morning after urinating and before taking on tea / breakfast ... it's the lightest you'll be all day!

Cooking / drying clothes will also add to the humidity inside the van and to consequent condensation.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                As always, the answer lies in eliminating the cause.
                JUST STOP BREATHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Jim
                Or you could sleep with a long snorkel on poking outside.
                Insulation is the best answer. Cold surfaces will obviously condense water vapour from breathing, cooking, washing , drying clothes, using gas appliances they release alot of water vapour
                If you can get a electric suppy oil heaters,fan heaters and our favourite a thermo tube keep you warm and help stop condensation.
                We are lucky as our Duo has an eberspacher diesel heater which blows warm dry air and helps to keep you comfortable in a well insulated vehicle.
                There is another solution if you sleep with the windows open and skylight , you won't have much condensation but well may freeze.
                Last edited by peterfowden; 17-10-2012, 17:51.

Comment

condensation in R20

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                  Lovely photo's!

I got a lot of condensation in my caravan with the cold nights last time I went out. It is just the time of the year. I made some silver screens for the inside of my romahome demountable, from insulating car screens and a couple of extra suckers on each one, so they stuck to the windows behind the curtains and that helped a lot.

I had carpet on my roof inside the roma, professionally fitted corded stuff. Can't say it ever dripped on me. Do you have carpet on the ceiling?
                  Hi all, I get condensation in the storage area over the cab, I'm thinking of hanging a curtain over. I'm told its not good to line the area with carpet. Still thinking it though. Halp. I love to use my R20 all year.

Comment

Various responses to all the brilliant replies!

Graham - please feel free to move this as you see fit.

Jay Jay - it does have carpet on the walls and ceiling - it is quite thin but definitely carpet.

Mini Mouse - I'm sorry but the family all use field to camp in as and when and the parents are very conscious of the 28 day rule. It is a shame as with the river and weirs it is fabulous - especially in the summer and I'd love to be able to share it.

I think the condensation was purely us breathing. It was so cold I actually slept with my clothes on so there was no 'extra heavy breathing' if you get my drift!!

The rest of our planned winter trips - Bridgwater Carnival in November and Slimbridge in January - will be on 'proper' campsites with electrics and I have an oil filled radiator. Just googled Thermo Tube and they look useful too thanks.

If you haven't been to Bridgwater Carnival I can highly recommend both it and the post carnival squibbing!! http://www.bridgwatercarnival.org.uk/
                    When I say I have itchy feet I don't mean I have Athletes Foot.

Comment

lovely photos, gosh what a big glass you keep your toothbrush in........

Comment

Originally posted by camper man View Post
                        Hi all, I get condensation in the storage area over the cab, I'm thinking of hanging a curtain over. I'm told its not good to line the area with carpet. Still thinking it though. Halp. I love to use my R20 all year.

Not sure about the R20s, but the older romahomes nearly all have lined cab storage areas. Mine certainly did, in fact it was carpeted practically everywhere - I only got condensation on the windows.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                          Not sure about the R20s, but the older romahomes nearly all have lined cab storage areas. Mine certainly did, in fact it was carpeted practically everywhere - I only got condensation on the windows.
                          Thanks jay jay, will think this though. y didnt they line this area in the R20 any one know?

Comment

For moisture in the air to condense it needs to contact a cold surface.
                            Obviously, lining cold bare surfaces with anything will reduce condensation, but will also increase the humidity of the air trapped in the vehicle.
                            Ventilation will obviously reduce the humidity at the expense of losing heat. Absorbent lining may also get unacceptably moist over time.
                            There is no totally effective cure except (as I said before), STOP BREATHING.
                            Even the use of electric heaters etc. will do nothing to stop the water vapour produced by human (or animal) respiration. Though they will reduce the humidity.
                            Jim.
                            Last edited by Twolitre; 19-10-2012, 13:15.
                            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Condensation

As a very new Romini owner up-grading from sleeping under canvas/nylon and wanting to make use of the Romini during the winter, I'm wondering if anyone has tried using an electric dehumidifier on hook up? We have a Meaco DD8L dehumidifier to dry off our wet tents and those of our scout troop to prevent our house/scout hut getting damp and mouldy and are currently using it to keep the Romini damp free on our drive. Have a look at this for further details: http://www.meaco.com/products.asp?cat=9
                              Any other ukulele playing Romini owners on the forum?
                              Maggie
                              Maggie :)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X