As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leisure Battery Woes

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leisure Battery Woes

Well, we managed to take our little Romini out on its first jaunt since we purchased it a couple of weeks ago. We had two cosy nights in the van despite howling wind and lashing rain on first night and a very cold second night. :so happy:
    All looking good so far except... 'The Leisure Battery'....

The van is in extremely good order except that the previous owner had been using a car battery for lighting, water pump and fridge. We want to replace this with a leisure battery but can't find one small enough to fit into the gas and battery locker. Has anyone encountered the same problem and found a solution?
    Many thanks,
    Maggie
    Maggie :)

Hi Maggie, I have the longer LS version of the Romini and mine is located in one of the under-bed storage spaces. I have a hefty 110 amp-hour leisure battery which has proven to be more than adequate for continuous off-EHU living, although it has to be said that my style of travel is to keep moving, I never spend more than one night in one place so the battery is regularly boosted by the alternator. I haven't as yet changed the lighting for a modern LED alternative because I want to keep the van as original as possible, but that is an option for extending battery life. Remember that you should have some means of securing the battery so that in the event of hitting a major pothole or (perish the thought) having an accident, a large, heavy, acid-filled lump crashing about uncontrolled would be very bad news. Mine sits in a shallow plastic tray in case of acid leaks and is tethered down with a nylon ratchet-strap. I have located it as close to the line of the axle as is possible to try to keep the balance of the van neutral. Have fun with your van!

Comment

Hi - I had the same problem finding one the right size for my caravan locker... I found this site: http://www.advancedbatterysupplies.c...ieschoose.html which gives the height, width and depth of the batteries, so it was easier to find one that fit the space. I measured the battery I had, and the space therein - and I bought a Numax 85amp for £65.00 including delivery, so a good price too. This one was exactly the same size as the other one (a Yuasa 75amp) but a bit higher, same width and depth, which fit perfectly.

One thing to note with any battery - it won't last long if you are using it to power the fridge via the 12v socket! You are only supposed to use that when on the move, not when parked up and no engine on - you should be using the gas when not on EHU. I'm surprised the battery lasted two nights if you had the fridge running off it!

Another thing I used to do to save battery power in my previous campervan, which had a 12v water pump, was to fill a big 3 ltr plastic bottle with water whilst the pump was on (filling both that and the kettle at the same time), so that I didn't have to use the pump so much. I would also fill the bottle from the water tap on site. The 12v pump is another big drain on the battery.
      Last edited by jayjay; 30-12-2012, 10:03.

Comment

Do I have to have a leisure battery for our romimi - it would only power the lights as it has no fridge. As long as ehu is available couldn't we just use that and not bother with a battery?

Comment

Mains Only

Originally posted by maddy View Post
          Do I have to have a leisure battery for our romimi - it would only power the lights as it has no fridge. As long as ehu is available couldn't we just use that and not bother with a battery?
          Hi Maddy No you don't need a battery if you can manage with just going on hook up each time you are off, ... it would pay to have a decent LED lantern though just in case power failed anytime you could leave in in the van for looking in at home or in the dark anytime keep it charged up if you get a rechargeable on though. You could get a battery etc if you get a fridge later though in the summer or wamer weather they can be very usefull

Alf

Comment

leisure battery

Originally posted by tigger2 View Post
            Well, we managed to take our little Romini out on its first jaunt since we purchased it a couple of weeks ago. We had two cosy nights in the van despite howling wind and lashing rain on first night and a very cold second night. :so happy:
            All looking good so far except... 'The Leisure Battery'....

The van is in extremely good order except that the previous owner had been using a car battery for lighting, water pump and fridge. We want to replace this with a leisure battery but can't find one small enough to fit into the gas and battery locker. Has anyone encountered the same problem and found a solution?
            Many thanks,
            Maggie
            My battery was initially situated in the small cupboard under the front window. I was told it was in the wrong place and it should have a vent. It is now situated inleft hand seating area as you step into the van.

Pam

Comment

You can't run 12v lighting directly from the mains unless there is a transformer in the van. Does the Romini have one?

Also, the 12v side of the fridge would only work whilst towing - you can't run a fridge from a battery, so even if you had a battery and got a fridge it would have to run on mains or gas whilst sited.
              Last edited by Caz; 15-03-2013, 12:22.

Comment

I run my fridge from the battery. i left my fridge on plus a tv plus eberspacher heater and all lights for a week and it barely touched the battery's power. to be fair though its a battery i got from my work of a bus and it takes 2 people to lift it. i'll never need to use hook up but it has put alot of weight on my romini.

romini battery.jpg
                Last edited by barnsleyflyer; 15-03-2013, 13:59.

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
                  Hi Maddy No you don't need a battery if you can manage with just going on hook up each time you are off, ... it would pay to have a decent LED lantern though just in case power failed anytime you could leave in in the van for looking in at home or in the dark anytime keep it charged up if you get a rechargeable on though. You could get a battery etc if you get a fridge later though in the summer or wamer weather they can be very usefull

Alf
                  My battery only powers the lights. I have a lever gravity pump for water. If you have a water pump, it should surely be 12v and you will need a battery.

Handy to have lights to switch on though! Especially the 12v outside door light into the awning. I rarely use the lights in the caravan when on EHU - I use a small table lamp which was about £8 from Wilkinsons.

The rolson lights are great - I have one of these to read by at night as the spotlights in my van are pants! These are great, they also do a rechargeable one, worth considering....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-61770...xp_grid_pt_0_0

Comment

Romini Overloaded

Originally posted by barnsleyflyer View Post
                    I run my fridge from the battery. i left my fridge on plus a tv plus eberspacher heater and all lights for a week and it barely touched the battery's power. to be fair though its a battery i got from my work of a bus and it takes 2 people to lift it. i'll never need to use hook up but it has put alot of weight on my romini.
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]3919[/ATTACH]
                    Hi I would hate to think how much overwiegt you must be if the battery is in the Romini the carrying wieght is 375kg or thereabouts fully loaded with your gear plus a battery that takes two to carry must be over the limit,

please check overwieght = cancelled insurance

Alf

Comment

The battery will go in my car boot. then is left where the caravan is mostly used on a caravan site in my friends awning i don't drag the battery u and down lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                        You can't run 12v lighting directly from the mains unless there is a transformer in the van. Does the Romini have one?

Also, the 12v side of the fridge would only work whilst towing - you can't run a fridge from a battery, so even if you had a battery and got a fridge it would have to run on mains or gas whilst sited.

Thanks Caz, gosh I don't know if it had a transformer, or even what one looks like?
                        It apparently does have one 240v light, and no fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                          My battery only powers the lights. I have a lever gravity pump for water. If you have a water pump, it should surely be 12v and you will need a battery.

Handy to have lights to switch on though! Especially the 12v outside door light into the awning. I rarely use the lights in the caravan when on EHU - I use a small table lamp which was about £8 from Wilkinsons.

The rolson lights are great - I have one of these to read by at night as the spotlights in my van are pants! These are great, they also do a rechargeable one, worth considering....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-61770...xp_grid_pt_0_0

Thanks jayjay, that's definitely worth a look. Doesn't have an awning light I don't think, but does have an original awning, which hopefully is complete.

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post

Alf
                            Thanks alf, good idea, prob will get a leisure battery of some description though.

Comment

Originally posted by maddy View Post

Thanks alf, good idea, prob will get a leisure battery of some description though.
                              Check prices online before buying from a caravan dealers or halfords. i bought from http://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/pr...%7cA+Layer%7c/

And http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/leisure-batteries/ have also been recommended on here.
                              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X