First timer going solo this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First timer going solo this year

I will be going solo this year and as a woman over 60 I was wondering if its safe to do and would love any advice you can give me I have a Bambi and two little dogs who are far from guard dogs I would like to travel up to Scotland in stages and do it as cheap as possible
    Are there other women who have perhaps joined up in a sort of convoy or met up at sites along the way
    what precautions should I take and where should I avoid going to or staying at.
    I await any replies from you.
    annie the BCWench

Hi,
    I'm fairly new to solo camping in my Romahome R20 and travel with a very wimpy whippet who's definitely not a guard dog. I don't wild camp but have found it possible to camp quite cheaply using Camping and Caravan Club sites as their rates are per person and they offer an older person discount.
    I haven't had any issues re safety and really enjoyed a big trip last summer, travelling up to Scotland and the Outer Hebrides and staying away nearly seven weeks. I took a couple of short trips before to iron out any teething troubles and to find out what worked and what didn't. I've written about it all on my blog which you might find helpful.
    If you check on the forum Empyrean has talked about the possibility of loosely joint trips (loosely as in not joined at the hip)
    I hope you enjoy your solo camping as much as I do!

Whippety

http://www.whippetywanderings.co.uk

Comment

Hi Annie, welcome to the forum.

I camp on my own with an elderly collie/lab cross. I have a Romahome C15 at present but am about to get a bigger m/home to give us more comfort.

I've just retired and am planning an excursion to Scotland in July/August to fit in with a couple of geocaching events in the Lake District and Ayrshire. I'll be doing it as cheaply as poss so will include some wild camping where appropriate to keep site costs down. You would be welcome to join me for some of it.

Comment

Hi there and welcome to this very friendly and valuable little community. There are a quite a few solo women campers on here. I solo in my R20 with my little terrier and have done so for a very long time. I've wild camped and used Aires all over the Europe and Scotland but prefer to use small club sites in the UK. Depending on where you are, you might want to think about joining one of our meets - a small one coming up in Norfolk at the end of this month and a big one in Spring (see the 'fancy meeting up' section on the forum - of course there is a solo campers section but I think most of us just use the main sections). There is also a camping club called 'Phoenix' - for solo campers that want to join up once in a while. I don't belong but a few members on here do.
        Have fun with your Bambi and maybe we'll meet you soon -
        Jacsprat
        Last edited by jacsprat; 12-01-2014, 12:16.

Comment

I'm a solo female wildcamper and have never had, nor would I expect, any problems. Just choose your overnight parking spot carefully, park so you drive forwards to leave if you need to (highly unlikely), lock your doors at night at night and you'll be fine.

There are some convoys planned for this year, including a trip around Scotland but I prefer to be independent to enjoy the flexibility and freedom at my own pace.

Enjoy your camping!

Comment

Hello Annie

I am neither female nor solo so I hope you don't mind me putting my oar in.

If you are a first time camper and aren't used to wild camping I think it might be better for your own peace of mind to find campsites along the way where you will be perfectly safe. As others have said Camping and Caravanning Club can work out quite cheap for a solo camper because you pay per person. The people who camp on the sites are mostly very friendly and if you have any problems regarding the van etc., someone is always around to help, the site managers are available too as they live on the premises.

If you are on a budget you can also camp in small 5 van sites which are called CS's and sometimes on farms etc and will be safe and cheaper than a larger site.

If and when you do fancy trying wild camping have a look at our guide to wildcamping which was compiled with the help of Karenw who is a very experienced wild camper.

You can read the guide by clicking this link http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/Guid...d-camping.html
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              Hello Annie

I am neither female nor solo so I hope you don't mind me putting my oar in.

If you are a first time camper and aren't used to wild camping I think it might be better for your own peace of mind to find campsites along the way where you will be perfectly safe. As others have said Camping and Caravanning Club can work out quite cheap for a solo camper because you pay per person. The people who camp on the sites are mostly very friendly and if you have any problems regarding the van etc., someone is always around to help, the site managers are available too as they live on the premises.

If you are on a budget you can also camp in small 5 van sites which are called CS's and sometimes on farms etc and will be safe and cheaper than a larger site.

If and when you do fancy trying wild camping have a look at our guide to wildcamping which was compiled with the help of Karenw who is a very experienced wild camper.

You can read the guide by clicking this link http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/Guid...d-camping.html
              Sound advice.
              derek b and Babs

Comment

Solo motorhoming

Hi Annie
                Good to hear that you are planning to do some travelling on your own. I also travel on my own and have been full time since October 2012. My aim was to do the coast of th UK which I have very nearly achieved. My overnight stops have been on a mixture of places....camping and caravan club sites, CLs(which work out more expensive for one person) and wild camping,especially in the winter when there are few sites open. I have had a fantastic time, met some terrific people many of whom I stay in contact with and seen some wonderful places. Every day is a new adventure! As you say, it is good to hook up with other travellers sometimes. Ms wanderer and I travelled around north Scotland together for four weeks in the spring and plan to go to Europe next month. You will love the experience just use your common sense to stay safe . I am happy to talk to you if you want to PM me.
                Sally

Comment

solo camping

I travel on my own and love the freedom of the experience. Also enjoy meeting up with Phoenix club. I'm still working but if any members are thinking of travelling around Scotland during later July/August I'd be interested in meeting up on site. I have a very small van so prefer the luxury of a shower block. I think Scottish schools will be back in August.

Comment

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

Some good advice has already been offered in this thread.

As another 60ish female traveller, I would agree that personal safety must be your top priority. For this reason, I would advise staying at official campsites, obviously locking your doors and windows at night, possibly also having a loud personal alarm.

There are some lovely ladies on this forum who also travel solo (and gentlemen, of course!) Come to a few meets to break the ice. Also look out for people posting their intention to eg travel to specific sites / areas of the country so you could possibly link up with them. Or, indeed, put out feelers yourself to see if other solo lady travellers would like to meet up at particular sites.

There is a group called New Companions, specifically aimed at solo travellers, offering the hand of friendship and company.

'Many would have seen in the latest Caravan Club Magazine, there is a club mentioned for single people who like to caravan/motorhome on their own.

The New Companions Club organise and run rallies throught the year for their members to enjoy. Many rallies are held on Caravan Club sites.

For more information, please go to http://www.newcompanions.org.uk for membership details and costs contact [email protected]'

There are also some lively ladies on the Wildcamping forum, whose company has made me cry with laughter! (Safety in numbers when wilding with company.) http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/
                    Last edited by NomadSue; 15-01-2014, 13:26. Reason: spelling error
                    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Hi and welcome

I am a solo camper approaching the upper years

I go all over the place and absolutely love being in my van, (R20). I use CL's, CC and C&CC as well as wild. One thing I found on my month away over Christmas and New Year is that arriving at a C&CC site after 12 without booking was the cheapest stay. I had phoned to book at Moffat in Scotland as I had no internet and the central booking system lady told me to do that. The reason for this is the C&CC often don't allow booking for one night only, I guess it's ok to turn up in winter as there are pitches free.

CL's are often lovely but I find them very expensive, I think someone has mentioned that it's because it's just one person.

One thing I would add is that I had several technical issues with my van and during the first six months I panicked a lot as I felt so out of my depth. This forum has been brilliant and get me over many a hurdle, thanks to All!
                      Also Ant is an extremely helpful and knowledgable help, there is a section where he answers questions if you're stuck with a 'van' issue!

Enjoy your travels, it would be great to know how you get on!

Bunchy

Comment

One of the cheapest and nicest ways of going camping is to come along to a forum meet

Have a look at the "Fancy meeting up?" section

Happy camping
                        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

I would also recommend the New Companions Camping Club. There is company if you want it but if you want to be alone then thats OK too.
                          No pressure to join in with anything. One of the members does a long tour of Scotland every spring.
                          Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Another solo female campervanner here, there seem to be quite a few of us on this site.

I stay on Caravan club sites and have tended to visit places with plenty of interest such as historic towns and cities, although I did venture to Shell Island and loved it.

I've never felt unsafe on sites although CC sites have wardens onsite and have really enjoyed my travels, and I'm sure you will too.

Jules

Comment

I would feel safer on larger sites rather than ones with only 1-5 vehicles. Often the 'landlord' is not close to the camp site or unavailable - Mum and Dad used small sites and often didn't see the owner from one day to the next! Go along to some of the larger sites and see how the land lies. Don't tell anyone you are travelling alone. Take the security precautions as you would take at home. Make a note of those campers around you and if you feel un-easy have a word with the Warden to see if you can move to another pitch. Mostly the ladies I have noted travelling alone have left early (long before DH and I are out of our 'bags' :roll eyes: ). Take a torch to the facilities before dusk because it may be dark when you leave the building . Maybe a personal 'shriek' alarm in your hand which can also be in your 'bag during the night. I try to keep an eye on the toilet block to make sure that there are lots of people around, it makes me slightly nervous if men approach the block when I am thinking that I need a comfort break!

Enjoy! We have such a lovely country in dry weather with lots of history, walks, places to visit ………. tell us about your dogs?

Comment