No announcement yet.

First timer going solo this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's interesting, I nearly always have my dog with me and I don't recall them ever asking if I had one when I've called the RAC out. It's never been a problem, although the last time they "recovered" me he had to travel in the van, he was not allowed in the recovery truck anymore.

You should come along to one of the forum meets, Marilyn, then you wouldn't need to be lonely in the evenings unless you wanted to.

I see you aren't far from me, at Chester - I was there yesterday actually!

Maybe we should organise a meet for "solo ladies of a certain age", with or without dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by mazzer1 View Post
      Last week I spent a night on a campsite in Edmonton. I was probably as nervous about an inner city site as I was about braving the North Circular but it all went very well. Although I did get a bit of a quiz about whether my car (Partner/Amdro) was actually a camper, once I was on site I had a very convenient pitch close to the reception area and facilities and the site turned out to be peaceful enough to hear birdsong :-)

One minor alarm, given the earlier skepticism about the suitability of my unit, was when a uniformed security guard stopped his van next to me as I was cooking my tea. However he got out with a big smile on his face and asked all sorts of questions about the Packashack - looks as if I should be on commission for those!

mazzer
      Ho Ho Ho It happens all the time with small motorhomes or campers other than VWs.
      The first question is usually, can you sleep in that?
      You will have to get used to it, and carry a few SMHC buisness cards (contact Graham for some).

Ian
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
        Ho Ho Ho It happens all the time with small motorhomes or campers other than VWs.
        The first question is usually, can you sleep in that?
        You will have to get used to it, and carry a few SMHC buisness cards (contact Graham for some).

Ian
        Hi Ian
        Will do - I have a letter from C&CC saying my unit is ok but this particular site isn't one of theirs. Their 2nd question was do you have window blinds - I'm always tempted to suggest that no, I was coming to their site to offer free entertainment! (Or scare away the other punters ;-)

mazzer

Comment

Originally posted by marilyn View Post
          Hi,
          I am a solo over 60 lady with a caravan and 3 little dogs. I love the freedom this type of holiday offers. It can be lonely in the evenings but during the day I find it easy to find things to do. I haven't yet found any safety issues and have stayed in mostly country sites. I would be more wary of staying on sites close to town centres but generally sites are too inconvenient for ne'er do wells to bother with. I feel that caravanners and campers in general are nice people and I don't feel threatened at all.
          I have a good roadside assistance plan which covers both the car and caravan. I did have to call them once when I got a puncture about 400 yds from the rally field where I was staying but the caravan was not hooked up to the car at the time. However, they wouldn't attend if the dogs were in the car. Luckily I was close enough to walk them back to the caravan while I waited for the repair man. Since then I have bought a crate for the dogs so hopefully they would be able to attend if the dogs were secured.
          I hope all solo camper/caravanner/motorhomers have a super time on their holidays and maybe we'll meet sometime, somewhere!
          Hi Marilyn and welcome to this friendly forum. You may have difficulty on some sites with 3 dogs, as a lot of them allow a maximum of two. Hope you manage to find alternatives and enjoy your new hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by marilyn View Post
            Hi,
            I am a solo over 60 lady with a caravan and 3 little dogs. I love the freedom this type of holiday offers. It can be lonely in the evenings but during the day I find it easy to find things to do. I haven't yet found any safety issues and have stayed in mostly country sites. I would be more wary of staying on sites close to town centres but generally sites are too inconvenient for ne'er do wells to bother with. I feel that caravanners and campers in general are nice people and I don't feel threatened at all.
            I have a good roadside assistance plan which covers both the car and caravan. I did have to call them once when I got a puncture about 400 yds from the rally field where I was staying but the caravan was not hooked up to the car at the time. However, they wouldn't attend if the dogs were in the car. Luckily I was close enough to walk them back to the caravan while I waited for the repair man. Since then I have bought a crate for the dogs so hopefully they would be able to attend if the dogs were secured.
            I hope all solo camper/caravanner/motorhomers have a super time on their holidays and maybe we'll meet sometime, somewhere!
            well done marilyn and more power to you,r elbow I do more solo/OH wilding than sites but I also attend wild camp meets (just come back from one) and you can enjoy the company of others in the evening if you wish too its up to you as others have said attend one of the meets and you will not have the problem of being lonely, the people attending are the friends you have yet to meet

Comment

Originally posted by BCWench View Post
              I will be going solo this year and as a woman over 60 I was wondering if its safe to do and would love any advice you can give me I have a Bambi and two little dogs who are far from guard dogs I would like to travel up to Scotland in stages and do it as cheap as possible
              Are there other women who have perhaps joined up in a sort of convoy or met up at sites along the way
              what precautions should I take and where should I avoid going to or staying at.
              I await any replies from you.
              annie the BCWench
              Hi there, of course you will be alright, many of us travel alone. Common sense rules apply otherwise fine, Britain is one of the most benign countries in the world!

The fact is that statistics prove the lone male, particularly the younger males, is much much more vulnerable than the female. Mugging of men is much more common. I think we are brought up with this ridiculous idea that we are terribly vulnerable! I know with my two children although they were given the same freedoms I worried much more about my son being mugged than my daughter!

The main problem is your confidence so just go where you feel comfortable for a while, it is a holiday so don't do things that stress you. Okay if you park in a lay-by overnight you may get the 'idiot' boy racers being stupid but doing conventional camping in a campsite..... absolutely no problem whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Grannybabs View Post
                Hello Annie
                I see you posted a while ago and am wondering how you got on with your first solo trip. I am also a sixty something female with a small Roma home and although I have a partner, he is not mad about camping whilst I love it! So I have been thinking about doing a solo trip but have never got round to it. Having read some of the posts on this thread I think I am missing something! It seems the key to successful soloing is to keep options open - meet up with other lone campers now and then as you travel - maybe through forums like these- but also maintain a sense of independence and freedom by going it alone when you want to. I have done a lot of solo long-distance walking trips and have never felt nervous about being on my own, so I think I'm going to take the plunge! Would love to hear from you by the way. Grannybabs
                Hiya Granny
                Well you asked so i will tell. I HAD A FAB TIME. I started out last March 12th and headed for Shell island. The place was almost empty and so i found a spot hidden away and set up. For the first three days all i did was walk eat and sleep. In bed for 7.30 when it was dark. wake at around midnight to let dogs out and then back to sleep till 7.00 next morning.
                On the fourth day i felt as if my inner strength was returning so I moved the van onto the last carpark overlooking the beach. and that is where i stayed during the daytime and then returned to the hidwaway at night. I had not done much walking for several years due to back pain caused by lifting hubby and large heavy ramps for his wheel chair I did have my wheelchair with me but it was no use on the beach, hence i had to walk. the first few days i did several short walks with the dogs but makingmyself go further every day. That way i built up my muscles and began to enjoy myself.
                April easter arrived and i was at the Chester food festival. Fun time with great food on offer. from there i went home to have clutch cable renewed as it had stretched. Back on the road three days later and a trip to Borth to visit a friend. Southport. stourport, bewdley, Stratford and Malvern for the western show. Llandovery and borth again and then up to Shell island.
                Folk often stopped to look at my tiny motor home and comment on it and often as not were offered a cup of tea or coffee. One woman who stopped came from my home town and we have met up a few times since.Then came the winter months... long dark days and long dark nights and Christmas loomimg ever closer.
                I did not want to spend this Christmas alone as i was feeling the loss of my late husband even more so had a look in gte CC%C book and noticed a meet was being held over Christmas just nine miles away so for just £55.00 No hookup but all food provided along with evening entertainment i phoned up and joined them. I had the best Christmas ever. So good was it that i also joined them at another meet just 11 miles away for the new year. Total stangers who knew why i was alone turned into caring friends. I have allready booked with them for this Christmas tide.
                Ok this year has arrived and so at the beginning of March i joined those wonderfull folk for the first run away to just outside Bewdley till the Sunday when i fired up and hit the road and back to Shell island again for the eclipse. sun shine during the day and freezing at night.
                So what do i intend to do next month???? i am striving to take myself and two small dogs along with Hubbies ashes up to Loch Lommond where i will scatter his ashes in his ancestorial land and then head up to the Isle of Skye for a few weeks and then back down the west coast and shell island to again meet up with friends. Well you did ask.
                I met some weird folk during the times away including this year a man on the beach in the freezing cold wearing a huge top coat and hat and carrying a back pack. No TROUSERS but "almost" a pair of minnie speedo pants, his legs were bright orange from a spray tan gone wrong. he stopped to speak and informed me he was heading up to the nudist beach. It took all my strength not to laugh as he looked just like one of those Teacher birds you see along the Nile.
                So Gran get off your butt and have fun life is for enjoying and not for enduring. Join in the fun and make some memories for those dark winter days. Just one last thing. I am trying to learn to play a ukelele so listen out for the strumming and follow the sound. Annie the BCWench.

Comment

I think it is only tents, I would be interested to hear if any allow campervans.
                  Last edited by DM1; 11-04-2015, 09:43.

Comment

Originally posted by DM1 View Post
                    I think it is only tents, I would be interested to hear if any allow campervans.
                    if what you are inquiring about is do they allow motor homes on Shell island then the answer is yes.. They do not allow caravans. See their face book or website. Over 50's its £5.50 per person per night no hookups and they charge per dog. 4.5 square miles of camp ground but keep clear during school hoidays as it can get totaly packed out. they onkly allow 400 units on site. so at peak times check availability and book ahead. grocery shop gift shop camping gear shop and its own pub. resturant and snackbar. laundry facilities showers and toilets.
                    Bear in mind that the causway is ruled by the tide so check for passing times on the website tide times.
                    what they eye does not see they heart will not miss.

Comment