I'm new to camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to camping

Hi all, I'm new to camping and this year will be my first time out. I bought my Bongo after my husband passed away, so there will only be me and my two small dogs. To be honest I'm a bit nervous as I don't know any one and as it will be my first time, will I be safe? Will I know what I'm doing? I so want to do this and as I'm disabled I hope I can do it. I was thinking somewhere closer to home for my first adventure, then I should know if I have everything I need. It would be even nicer if someone lived in or near the Bedworth area so I won't be on my own for the first time. So if there is anyone out there who feel a bit like me, then please get in touch with me, then we can meet up and get to know each other better. I am new to doing this also, and haven't got a clue if I'm doing this right or not. So if I do anything wrong please let me know

Hello and welcome Jools

You would be very welcome at one of our meets, have a look in this section http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ncy-meeting-up
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi jules, just by visiting this forum, you've taken the first step to making lots of new camping buddies, and it won't be long before you are confidently camping in your van. There are many solo campers, of both sexes, who seem to enjoy the hobby a great deal

Comment

Hi Jools. Welcome to the forum.

As Maddy says, you have made the first step. It would be lovely if you could make it to one of the forum's meets / rallies. They are a friendly bunch and I think you will find them welcoming and helpful. If you join in with the various threads on this forum, by the time you meet some of us in the flesh, as it were, you will already feel as if you know us. There are people of all ages, all types of backgrounds & camping units, but we all have a love of travel / camping / meeting new people, in common.

You might also find it helpful to check out the New Companions Club http://www.newcompanions.org.uk/
        Last edited by NomadSue; 14-04-2014, 13:38. Reason: Wrong name! Sorry, Maddy & Caz. Both lovely people. :D
        Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Hi Jools and welcome to the the forum (one fo the best!) Everyone is nervous about their first night's camp - but you are nearly there. You have your van! Maybe try just one or two nights away near to home as a starter. That should give you the confidence then to go on to longer and better. Have you joined the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club? They have a huge list of sites to choose from. Kingsbury Waterpark is not that far from you and is a very friendly site. A very pleasant place to stay with a little on site shop, and a cafe and pub within walking distance. Lots of nice fairly flat walks for the dogs and the site wardens are friendly and helpful. Kingsbury Water Park Link
          Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Jools View Post
            Hi all, I'm new to camping and this year will be my first time out. I bought my Bongo after my husband passed away, so there will only be me and my two small dogs. To be honest I'm a bit nervous as I don't know any one and as it will be my first time, will I be safe? Will I know what I'm doing? I so want to do this and as I'm disabled I hope I can do it. I was thinking somewhere closer to home for my first adventure, then I should know if I have everything I need. It would be even nicer if someone lived in or near the Bedworth area so I won't be on my own for the first time. So if there is anyone out there who feel a bit like me, then please get in touch with me, then we can meet up and get to know each other better. I am new to doing this also, and haven't got a clue if I'm doing this right or not. So if I do anything wrong please let me know
            jools come camping with us. you won't regret it. everyone starts at the beginning, all nervous of making a ricket. but thats part of the fun. you don't need to be an expert(look no further than me!) great times to be had, with great people! have a word with ian at fancy meeting up, and trundle over to banham. if you need any help at all, lots of friendly folk willing and possibly able!!

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
              Hi Jools. Welcome to the forum.

As Caz says, you have made the first step. It would be lovely if you could make it to one of the forum's meets / rallies. They are a friendly bunch and I think you will find them welcoming and helpful. If you join in with the various threads on this forum, by the time you meet some of us in the flesh, as it were, you will already feel as if you know us. There are people of all ages, all types of backgrounds & camping units, but we all have a love of travel / camping / meeting new people, in common.

You might also find it helpful to check out the New Companions Club http://www.newcompanions.org.uk/

did you mean as Maddy says Sue
              sorry Jools, I spelled your name wrongly

Comment

Thank you all

Hi to you all and thank you for making me feel so welcome. I was feeling so down and worried about all of this. I think as you say I should be ok once I get the first night out of the way. I just have to buy one more item and that is an awning, but I must be able to put it up by myself. I get worried because I'm disabled and some days the pain can be so bad, so I need things to be easy for me. I am looking forward to doing this so much and hopefully meeting up with you all. Thank you all again.

Comment

Jools if you have got dogs, you will already know that other dog owners will come and speak to you, well you will find the same, mostly anyway, with people camping. Usually everyone is friendly and helpful. We just went away with a newly acquired caravan, and were having problems figuring out how to erect the awning (everyone seems to have probs the first time!!) but someone from the pitch opposite came across and helped us, we'd never met, he was just helping a fellow camper! I think I have seen Bongo's with a kind of awning that hangs down from the back door when its open, I would have thought they would be fairly easy to attach but don't know what they are called, sorry. But please don't worry, I'm sure no one would stand by and watch you struggle. Do try and get to one of our meets if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Jools View Post
                    Hi to you all and thank you for making me feel so welcome. I was feeling so down and worried about all of this. I think as you say I should be ok once I get the first night out of the way. I just have to buy one more item and that is an awning, but I must be able to put it up by myself. I get worried because I'm disabled and some days the pain can be so bad, so I need things to be easy for me. I am looking forward to doing this so much and hopefully meeting up with you all. Thank you all again.
                    never mind the awning Jools just bring a bottle!

Comment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rear-Utili...item43c857fce7

Something like this Jools

Comment

Did someone mention me?

Welcome to the forum Jools. I camp on my own with my dog and so do quite a few others on the forum, you will definitely be in good company if you come along to one of the meets. The Banham Zoo meet would be a good start for you if you could get to it.

If I'm going away on my own I like to use Camping & Caravanning Club sites, they are reasonably priced for solo campers, plenty of space between pitches, good standard facilities and wardens always on site who can help with any difficulties. Kingsbury Water Park is one of my (and my dog's) favourites.

I found I couldn't put up a driveaway awning on my own because I couldn't hold the tunnel bit over the top and peg it down at the same time, but one of the tailgate ones would be possible - although it does mean that the tailgate would have to be left open which would worry me security wise.

When I had a smaller van I used a Quecha pop-up to store chairs etc outside whilst on site. It also marks your pitch if you drive off site - not a problem on a Club site where your pitch is noted but on some sites where campers choose their own pitch I have sometimes come back to find someone else parked where I was and I have to find somewhere else. Happened this weekend.

Comment

I didn't even notice you spelt my name differently Maddy. I wasn't too sure how to spell it myself. But most people call me Jools (Jules) and I'm not sure if one is the male version or what lol So either way will do I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by maddy View Post
                            did you mean as Maddy says Sue
                            sorry Jools, I spelled your name wrongly
                            Yep, sorrry!

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                              Did someone mention me? (QUOTE] Oops, yes. Must have been thinking of you when I wrote my comment.

When I had a smaller van I used a Quecha pop-up to store chairs etc outside whilst on site. It also marks your pitch if you drive off site - not a problem on a Club site where your pitch is noted but on some sites where campers choose their own pitch I have sometimes come back to find someone else parked where I was and I have to find somewhere else. Happened this weekend.
                              Oops, yes. Must have been thinking of you when I wrote my comment.

I sometimes leave the grey plastic stool on the pitch, with a 'pitch occupied' sign tied to it. So far, this has done the trick!

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/shop-an...ome-pitch-sign

Comment