X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newby Roma Owner Hiya can I Join the Club

Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
    Hi Brian,
    I have successfully joined the new companions club, they have loads of meets for single campers, I am going to try for the Bladon Chains at end of August, and tomorrow I will consult my diary and book as many as I can fit in.
    They really do look /sound brilliant for lone campers like us.
    Ian
    Life is looking good since I impulsively bought my New to Me Berlingo Duo+, no research nothing just a spur of the moment YES I'm going to buy it day - just prior to my birthday. following morning I found SMH forum And blow me I was 'spotted' driving van home, how wonderful was that. Welcome to the Universe, (the van yet to be named) had delivered me to the gates of a whole new undiscovered world, where dreams can come true if you follow your heartfelt instinct.
    Very scared I was/AM but there no going back now ... I shall have to do TOAD in WindnWillows ... Hit the open road with 3 little dogs, possibly the cat and me. did 1 mile on first 1 night only trip to Widdicombe Farm campsite in Marldon, Paignton. I sorted out list of must haves and couldn't get the cooker going without matches. £3.50 for cod goujons chips peas all home cooked fab in on site mini restaurant, then off on Todd to pub which surprisingly has nightly entertainment, fit for the Queen it was - I'm no comedian fan but this chap on every Friday had me laughing and the place was roaring, there was barbecue, vocalist perfection, story telling, packed dance floor and standing ovations. I'm Hookd. Everyone was talking with me, the staff wonderful, toilets and showers spotlessly clean, I'm so impressed with that little site even though it's on my doorstep I shall go again. Slept comfortably within my memory foam nest and 2 duvets.
    Today via SMH member I discovered New Companions and lifestyle is growing in abundance, how does one find out about joining, planned meet ups etc.
    For me well I've been a loner in excess of 13 years, happily so and not looking to change my status, I like meeting people and can't wait until it's time for TOAD to hit the road for my second adventure. Even though I hooked up I think I may have drained my car battery with Zig in motorhome position. Maybe I should have left it in neutral centre position but the lights wouldn't work in that mode. Anyhow soon remedied I left car going to fully charge again. I will learn by default. Good thinking getting full cover with Greenflag I hope I never need them though.
    Thanks New Companion chirpy crew for your informative banter. X Tara

Originally posted by Tara View Post
    Life is looking good since I impulsively bought my New to Me Berlingo Duo+, no research nothing just a spur of the moment YES I'm going to buy it day - just prior to my birthday. following morning I found SMH forum And blow me I was 'spotted' driving van home, how wonderful was that. Welcome to the Universe, (the van yet to be named) had delivered me to the gates of a whole new undiscovered world, where dreams can come true if you follow your heartfelt instinct.
    Very scared I was/AM but there no going back now ... I shall have to do TOAD in WindnWillows ... Hit the open road with 3 little dogs, possibly the cat and me. did 1 mile on first 1 night only trip to Widdicombe Farm campsite in Marldon, Paignton. I sorted out list of must haves and couldn't get the cooker going without matches. £3.50 for cod goujons chips peas all home cooked fab in on site mini restaurant, then off on Todd to pub which surprisingly has nightly entertainment, fit for the Queen it was - I'm no comedian fan but this chap on every Friday had me laughing and the place was roaring, there was barbecue, vocalist perfection, story telling, packed dance floor and standing ovations. I'm Hookd. Everyone was talking with me, the staff wonderful, toilets and showers spotlessly clean, I'm so impressed with that little site even though it's on my doorstep I shall go again. Slept comfortably within my memory foam nest and 2 duvets.
    Today via SMH member I discovered New Companions and lifestyle is growing in abundance, how does one find out about joining, planned meet ups etc.
    For me well I've been a loner in excess of 13 years, happily so and not looking to change my status, I like meeting people and can't wait until it's time for TOAD to hit the road for my second adventure. Even though I hooked up I think I may have drained my car battery with Zig in motorhome position. Maybe I should have left it in neutral centre position but the lights wouldn't work in that mode. Anyhow soon remedied I left car going to fully charge again. I will learn by default. Good thinking getting full cover with Greenflag I hope I never need them though.
    Hello Tara

The title of your thread says "can I join the club", if you mean Small Motorhome we are not a club but we are a friendly community which is free to join and you have joined us by registering on our forum.

If you mean New Companies we aren't affiliated to them, this is the Small Motorhome Forum, we are entirely indepdendent, I'm sure if you google new companions club you will find their website and details of how to join. Quite a few of our members are also members of New Companions and other clubs which get mentioned on here.

If you want to join one of OUR meets then have a look in the "Fancy Meeting Up" section where you will find details of any meets or rally's organised. You will get a very warm welcome from our friendly crowd.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

You will find the New Companions Club info here:

http://newcompanions.org.uk.gridhosted.co.uk/about-us/

I believe quite a few forum members belong / have belonged to that club too. It is a friendly club.

Personally, I find that this forum meets my needs - a friendly, helpful bunch, always willing to chat about any topic under the sun, and sociable at meets. Having chatted on the forum, made me far less nervous about attending meets as I felt I already 'knew' other members attending, and merely needed to put faces to the personalities already known.

Although I have belonged to several camping clubs, I found joining in with SMHF meets / rallies is sufficient for me, as I also want time to do other things, make independent trips, etc rather than find that a lot of / most weekends are tied up with meets.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Tara View Post

The switch should be in the down position when on hook up and the Meter display should show your charge....strange about your battery maybe it needs a good run to charge it fully ?? It would be nice to join you at the widdicombe farm one weekend.

Comment

Hi from another solo traveller, i also think that buying my motorhome was the best thing that i ever did, i started in a romahome hylo and now have an autosleeper which i bought from another member of this forum... I have also booked into a local site near my home in Hunstanton, Norfolk and often use local sites, i am going to snettisham beach this weekend a massive 5 miles from home but is has a club with entertainment and a chippy, there is no need to travel miles.. there are a number of single ladies on here mostly with doggies.. enjoy.. maybe see you at one of the meets..

Comment

Hi Tara

From another single (yet not solo - 2 teenagers + 2 dogs! at the moment) Romahome owner (duo outlook 2003) I'm new to this too - had the van just after Easter. I've been away for 2 nights a couple of weeks ago as a try out and getting ready to leave for a week in Cornwall next week (first proper hols in "Hermione").

This is a great forum, loads of like-minded people, most a lot more experienced and full of advice when needed.

Isn't it great being a motorhome owner! I wish I'd done it years ago, have thought about it for years (since childhood when all holidays were touring Europe with family in a selection of various homemade campervans - wonderful times!) Ex.husband seriously not interested in all that. After divorce the first thing on list was to get a caravan, which I did but I didn't like towing it, so changed to large family sized tunnel tent and now Romahome, which is best of all for me! Never go back now.

Anyway, nice to meet you. Hope to chat with you some other time. Maybe see you on the road sometime!

Regards and happy travelling, Kate

Comment

brad

hi. i am sure you will love your roma home. i have just bought the hylo. i have a german shepard and a king charles. i do wild camping.i have had two vw motor homes. so this is my first roma home. and i have just had a day out near whitby today very windy. i cant wait for my first night out in this one. i wish you all the best an happy camping

Comment

Just saying Hello to everyone!

I've been looking at this site for a while, plucking up courage to get my own camper and thanks to you guys I now have one!
                I'm a newly single lady (quite happy about that!) but miss the caravan I used to be attached to. Not feeling too sure about whether to take the plunge I have read many other posts here and realised most single ladies all have the same worries, but you have all inspired me to just do it - if it turned out to be awful I could always sell it on. However, after my first two trips - one to each of my brothers in case of disaster - I wonder what I was ever worried about, couple of little teething problems but it was all fine and so much fun!
                I bought a very well cared for but quite old Romahome Duo and it's just perfect for me and my dog Lucy (Border Collie), after both trips I haven't wanted to park it up!!
                I live in Devon and will regularly be camping for the odd weekend in Devon/Cornwall for a walk on the coastpath somewhere, winter weekends included - some places you just can't get near in season as there are too many people, such as Port Isaac last week OMG! Couldn't park anywhere so went to the next village and walked back around. I'm a member of the Camping and Caravanning Club so there are plenty of sites to choose from. Also am wondering if anyone has tried Britstops, is it any good?
                If anyone is down this way and would like to meet up for a walk or two that would be great
                Eldever.

Comment

Hi and welcome! Re Britstops, a number of forum members use them regularly, we use a Britstop occasionally when travelling to France - there is one near Portsmouth, very handy for the early ferry.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the SMF from me too!

....couldn't get the cooker going without matches.
                    No most don't have an electric sparker built in. The little things you can see at the side of each burner are usually thermo-couplers, which have to be warm before the gas will stay alight. This is usually achieved by keeping the gas knob pressed in for a little while before letting go of it. Hence, when the gas goes out, for example, if the flame is blown out by the wind, the thermo couplers go cold and the gas supply is cut off. It's a safety thing. I have an electric 'sparker' gizmo to light my gas rings.

Comment