Solo camping first experiance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solo camping first experiance

My children have really flown the nest and so camping is increasingly going to be solo for me now. My first experiance trying out a C15 was great from the accomodation etc side but I did find it difficult to adjusting to visiting places on my own & wondered about stratagies.

At times I really enjoyed it, on the campsite was great for instance. Where I came unstuck was visiting attractions such as National trust properties as normally had the children in tow, it felt a bit strange. Even though generally I like my own company I suppose I felt a bit lonely seeing everybody else in groups and me just on my todd. The other thing was once I ate out in the evening on my own in a pub... that felt weird and not something I would repeat in a hurry.

I want to carry on camping as it is something I love. I also think that this problem is not confined to camping and is more about adjusting to a new stage in my life. Be interested to hear your responses..... Thanks everybody.

Hello Tentpeg,
    Have you thought about some of the solo campervan groups? I think there has been a thread on here previously; people seem to dip in and out to suit their own personalities etc.
    Aileen

Comment

Solo camping first experience

I can very much empathise with this experience as - I am sure - can many single parents on the forum. I have been fortunate in that I have good friends who are divorced and campers who I have enjoyed many fantastic trips with in the last few years. However I also enjoy my own company and have also camped alone. Some of these trips have been fine and some not so good!
      I have decided that wild camping alone is not for me. I do enjoy the companionship of a quiet campsite and chats with fellow campers. Being totally alone for days on end is not for me.
      I also avoid doing things which dont work on my own. I try it and if I do not enjoy it I strike it off the list. Probably for me eating alone in a pub would be one to avoid.
      Change is always uncomfortable but inevitable. When my youngest son left home last year I was surprised how strange it felt - particularly as he was hardly ever home! I am also retiring this year but feel because I have my camper even though money will be tight I have lots to look forward to!
      Lizzie

Comment

I can't comment from a personal viewpoint because I have never had to try solo camping and hope never to do so but I know lots of solo campers come to our meets and Romaclub meets plus other groups, I think if it was me and I wanted company when camping alone then I would book as many meets with groups as possible.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Tentpeg View Post
          My children have really flown the nest and so camping is increasingly going to be solo for me now. My first experiance trying out a C15 was great from the accomodation etc side but I did find it difficult to adjusting to visiting places on my own & wondered about stratagies.

At times I really enjoyed it, on the campsite was great for instance. Where I came unstuck was visiting attractions such as National trust properties as normally had the children in tow, it felt a bit strange. Even though generally I like my own company I suppose I felt a bit lonely seeing everybody else in groups and me just on my todd. The other thing was once I ate out in the evening on my own in a pub... that felt weird and not something I would repeat in a hurry.

I want to carry on camping as it is something I love. I also think that this problem is not confined to camping and is more about adjusting to a new stage in my life. Be interested to hear your responses..... Thanks everybody.
          OhBoy! Do I know this feeling.I found myself solo in January last year.Lonely,miserable,depressed,couldnt see any enjoyment ahead. OK,so I did all that thoroughly, then thought,Ive got to go on,`cos Im still alive and breathing,so what now? I joined this Forum,The Roma club,and New Companions,not all on the same day!I had NEVER gone to a meet or rally,didnt need to,my life was so full - Now I wanted to try.My first meet was with this group at Wolverley,everyone was so nice,no-one said I was weird or not welcome,and you know what I enjoyed it.So,I went to some Roma rallys,then more with SMHC,then a new companions meet. NOW I have about 17 meets lined up for this year, I have a site I go to for weekends when I am not rallying and it is familiar and comfortable and the wardens have become friends,they sent me a xmas card!!!
          I still have bad days naturally, but I can think ahead to my next meet with pleasurable anticipation.I am now beginning to live a different life from what I had,and its OK.

You are not alone,many of us have walked that road ahead of you,come and join us,we`re waiting for you.

I eat out alot,in local resteraunts where I have become a regular,its now comfortable and friendly,and I am happy trying out new places.
          I am in National Trust etc, and its odd wandering around alone,remembering how it was,but I will get used to it. Lots of people are solo,that doesnt have to mean sad.
          Come to morton,even if you have to borrow a tent,airbed and sleeping bag.
          Come and meet your friends.
          Last edited by Ian.C.S; 20-03-2011, 12:20.
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I've found that joining groups does help. There is the possibility of making friends who live fairly near so that you can meet up and camp together - as well as continuing to support the group rallies and meets. Having a dog also helps (not suggesting you get one Eugene unless you really want one) but people do tend to talk to you when you have a dog - especially other dog owners. I've also camped alone using Caravan Cub and Camping and Caravan Club sites and haven't minded being alone at all especially when the weather is good. Great to sit out with a book and a glass of wine in the evening sunshine. I would agree though that an evening meal in a pub alone is not much fun. Have done that too. I really hope you find a level of camping alone that suits you - go for it!

Comment

Sorry, meant Tentpeg not Eugene.

Comment

I suppose the reasons for lone camping make us deal with it differently.
                Having enjoyed many many extended breaks in many places (not alone), I suddenly found myself alone.
                At first I visited places with fond memories, which left me very unhappy.
                Using the same 'van, which seemed empty and lonely did not help either and I disposed of the 'van.
                Then one day I chanced to see the Romini and thought maybe the different ambience and its small size would help. Took the plunge!
                Although I use it less than was customary, it works well, coupled with looking for new places to visit and never staying in places with memories. Not that they are not fond memories, but they make being alone hurt.
                I have concentrated on and visited places which were only names, but are now new memories to dwell on. And I still have a list to cover yet.
                I enjoy my outings, often meeting new people. I don't know about dogs, but I have lots of people wanting to inspect the Romini!
                Go for it. It is what you make it!
                Jim.
                Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

That's OK Bluebell, I understand how you feel about dogs. When my wife was alive we had a German Sheperd, and it nearly broke my wife,s heart when it died, as the dog went everywhere with her.

Comment

Thanks for your replies I think groups might be worth a try. The funny thing is I often used to go off on my own whilst the children were at home and it was no problem, in fact a relief to have a break.

Comment

This is a great thread I applaud all lone campers as I have been one of them,I bought my van with the intention of providing hols and weekends away for my family unfortunately i did it at a time when my kids had just reached the age of it being "uncool" to be with Mum and Dad and they had their own interests and things to do.My wife as much as she supported my camping addiction was never a fully commited camper so I had two choices really sell my van within a few months of buying it or go it alone.For 4 years I went it alone if it wasn't for being a member of Bongo Fury (owners club) who have a very active Meet calendar and having met some wonderful friends from there I think I would have sold my van long before I did late last year.I too had things I did like to do and not like to do whilst lone camping,I have to admit leading up to my vans sale I was becoming more and more homesick by each trip Id no sooner arrive at site set up and after an hour feel like returning home,its difficult.
                      My story does have a happy ending even though I have sold my campervan both myself,wife and our two doggies (kids are old enough now to be left...yayy!!) we have bought a lovely tent and will be going camping from now on together.Im looking forwards to the camping future!!

Dabs

Comment

Originally posted by Dabs View Post
                        This is a great thread I applaud all lone campers as I have been one of them,I bought my van with the intention of providing hols and weekends away for my family unfortunately i did it at a time when my kids had just reached the age of it being "uncool" to be with Mum and Dad and they had their own interests and things to do.My wife as much as she supported my camping addiction was never a fully commited camper so I had two choices really sell my van within a few months of buying it or go it alone.For 4 years I went it alone if it wasn't for being a member of Bongo Fury (owners club) who have a very active Meet calendar and having met some wonderful friends from there I think I would have sold my van long before I did late last year.I too had things I did like to do and not like to do whilst lone camping,I have to admit leading up to my vans sale I was becoming more and more homesick by each trip Id no sooner arrive at site set up and after an hour feel like returning home,its difficult.
                        My story does have a happy ending even though I have sold my campervan both myself,wife and our two doggies (kids are old enough now to be left...yayy!!) we have bought a lovely tent and will be going camping from now on together.Im looking forwards to the camping future!!

Dabs
                        Good,so come and pitch up with us at Moreton in Marsh
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                          Good,so come and pitch up with us at Moreton in Marsh
                          Love to Ian, unfortunately the dates clash with a previously booked event,had it have been the week later Im on Shutdown week in work and it would have been a BIG yes to come!! Dont worry if we can attend in future we will be!!

Dabs

Comment

Having been a single person and single camper for many a year I can understand how you feel, still feel like that sometimes myself, I am a loner and like my privacy which is also why I like this forum, the combi camp forum and another one, you can join up on meets, say hello but don't feel pressured to have to go out to meals etc, and its nice just knowing they are there and will welcome you as and when required, as you have probably read on other posts I do have 3 fluffy companions, who are my children to me and its nice just being with them, unfortunately they can not go into pubs, but they can do National Trust grounds.

It is weird sitting alone eating, I must admit though I do tend to have a takeaway or cook in the caravan mainly to be with my girls.

A lot of my weekends are taken up with my agility competitions and they are nice as I have got to know a lot of the competitors but again I can keep my privacy.

I do find that I tend to choose the quieter restaurants if I want to go out for a meal and ask for a corner table, then I can people watch and relax.

It is strange and it remains strange, but I go camping for relaxation and peace and quiet, strange coming from someone who lives on their own, but its no tv no phone calls just me and the girls and a good book
                            A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebell View Post
                              Having a dog also helps (not suggesting you get one Eugene unless you really want one) but people do tend to talk to you when you have a dog - especially other dog owners. :
                              I've been single for a long time. Rarely lonely as I'm quite happy with my own company.

I had a dog, some will remember her, my Merlyn. When she had to be PTS it broke my heart and I couldn't bear to go and get another one. I really miss her when camping alone, dogs are really good company and I could go anywhere and not feel lonely. Since she's gone I find I'm reluctant to go camping on my own, unless going to a SMH meet where I know there will be friends I know. It didn't bother me in the slightest when she was around, I was just like Kipsy describes in her last paragraph.

However, dogs are a life committment, just like children really. It's been good this winter not to have to go out every day to walk a dog, especially in the snow and ice. And nice whilst away to be able to go inside shops, and cafe's rather than looking through windows and sitting out on the pavement, esp. in cold and wet weather!

And no worries about vets and bills, worrying whether they are too hot in the car/caravan, and so on. That's the main thing that makes me think twice about getting another one, the worry of them.

Although my resolution not to get another dog is slowly crumbling!

Comment