Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo camping first experiance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Maybe my last post suggested I do not like dogs. In fact I have had several dogs and would probably have one now except that my other relaxation/interest is in my classic motorbikes and I would never leave a dog alone while I was out for the day.
    I know some m/cyclists ingeniously take their dogs, but only small ones in a carrier or similar. My last dog was a wonderful Belgian Shepherd, hardly small enough to fit on a motorbike.
    I would love to still have him when 'vanning and I'm sure he would have encouraged many people on sites to say "hello".
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

    Comment


      #17
      Not at all Twolitre, it actually sound more like you didn't have many dogs inspect the Romini unlike people doing so and to be honest, I hate people putting small dogs on carriers on motorbikes... god the safety aspect alone is enough to give me a heart attack, that is not caring for your dog, how safe are they if a car runs into the bike so thank you for being sensible,

      Jayjay, let the resolution crumble, its doesn't mean that you love Merlyn any less, as for the snow and ice walking, well my 3 have just had the garden this winter with me having a knee op, it depends on the breed the amount of exercise they need, but with having the 3 they play and chase each other in the garden anyway, giving them sufficient exercise and now we have long walks at the weekends, cold yes snow and ice no, can't let Jade my westie out in those conditions anyway because of the risk of injury to her.

      Crumble Jayjay, think of them waiting for you to come home, the love they give is worth more than any amount of money spent on them... I should know mine have cost me a small fortune
      A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

      Comment


        #18
        Well, I hope being solo isn't a bit 'sad', but if it is then fine..... I don't care 'cos I like this 'sad' thing. When I'm in the van I'm not dependant on anyone else, and they're not dependent on me (thank goodness ).

        (As an aside, wouldn't it be nice for the C&CC, etc. to publish literature that actually showed...heaven forbid....single people enjoying themselves on site, instead of the stereotypical family of 4, or elderly couple. Anyway, I digress....)

        Pubs/restaurants...hmmm, tricky. I tend to take my secret weapon, aka a newpaper/magazine, so if it's not possible to strike up a conversation I can keep myself occupied while I eat.

        I'm at Kingsbury C&CC at the moment, and just visited the Dog & Doublet. I sort of had one of those moments in a western movie where I walked in an everyone stopped talking and stared, while I enquired about food (maybe I should have asked if it was a local pub, for local people ).

        Staff were nice though, and I managed to get though some of my new C&CC magazine while everybody else whispered/mumbled to themselves. Lovely food too.
        Neil

        Comment


          #19
          Lots of singletons around now, so no, not 'sad' at all! I suspect that there have always been a lot of singletons around, just these days we get out more!

          Been there and done that myself in pubs, so I don't go on my own now. A lone woman is much more of a target and a refusal often offends!!! My secret weapon was usually a newspaper or a book! If I don't feel like cooking, I get a take-away if there's one where I'm staying.

          I'm still crumbling, Kipsy, but not quite crumbled enough yet!
          Last edited by jayjay; 22-03-2011, 12:12.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
            Well, I hope being solo isn't a bit 'sad', but if it is then fine..... I don't care 'cos I like this 'sad' thing. When I'm in the van I'm not dependant on anyone else, and they're not dependent on me (thank goodness ).

            (As an aside, wouldn't it be nice for the C&CC, etc. to publish literature that actually showed...heaven forbid....single people enjoying themselves on site, instead of the stereotypical family of 4, or elderly couple. Anyway, I digress....)

            Pubs/restaurants...hmmm, tricky. I tend to take my secret weapon, aka a newpaper/magazine, so if it's not possible to strike up a conversation I can keep myself occupied while I eat.

            I'm at Kingsbury C&CC at the moment, and just visited the Dog & Doublet. I sort of had one of those moments in a western movie where I walked in an everyone stopped talking and stared, while I enquired about food (maybe I should have asked if it was a local pub, for local people ).

            Staff were nice though, and I managed to get though some of my new C&CC magazine while everybody else whispered/mumbled to themselves. Lovely food too.
            You have completely misunderstood what I said,!,At no point was I suggesting that lone campers were in anyway "sad", but if you re-read mine and Jims comments it should be obvious that for many of us for a variety of reasons lone camping has sad associations - which we strive to overcome.
            I fail to understand why you had problems at the pub,they could not have been more helpful to us and at no time were we greeted with silence or made to feel outsiders.
            As for pitching away from everyone else,each to thier own,there is I find always a quiet corner or two if thats what you want,again you missed the point,some of our group do not want to be too close to noisy families or nosey neighbours,others dont care.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Lots of singletons around now, so no, not 'sad' at all! I suspect that there have always been a lot of singletons around, just these days we get out more!

              Been there and done that myself in pubs, so I don't go on my own now. A lone woman is much more of a target and a refusal often offends!!! My secret weapon was usually a newspaper or a book! If I don't feel like cooking, I get a take-away if there's one where I'm staying.

              I'm still crumbling, Kipsy, but not quite crumbled enough yet!
              Jayjay I will lend you one of mine when I see you next, you will crumble in seconds then Marymary did
              Solo camping sad...ahem...sensible I would call it, peace perfect peace and if you think it is sad I can name at least 50 to 100 solo campers at most agility shows, OH's stay at home whilst the solo enjoys themselves with competing and catching up with friends and watching friends compete and judging and thousands of different activities who would disagree, as a few mothers / fathers have said to me it gives them a lovely break and they are happy and refreshed when they go home and can give more to their family.

              For me I live alone, I camp alone, and camping and competing give me a lovely weekend break so I am fresher for work

              Oh and any sad.. I mean solo or otherwise people out there, well me and Marymary are off camping this weekend at Oswestry C & CC come and join us, a last minute decision but they are the best ... btw we are both solo campers
              A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Kipsy View Post
                Jayjay I will lend you one of mine when I see you next, you will crumble in seconds then Marymary did
                Solo camping sad...ahem...sensible I would call it, peace perfect peace and if you think it is sad I can name at least 50 to 100 solo campers at most agility shows, OH's stay at home whilst the solo enjoys themselves with competing and catching up with friends and watching friends compete and judging and thousands of different activities who would disagree, as a few mothers / fathers have said to me it gives them a lovely break and they are happy and refreshed when they go home and can give more to their family.

                For me I live alone, I camp alone, and camping and competing give me a lovely weekend break so I am fresher for work

                Oh and any sad.. I mean solo or otherwise people out there, well me and Marymary are off camping this weekend at Oswestry C & CC come and join us, a last minute decision but they are the best ... btw we are both solo campers
                Oswestry is Indian country,watch out for your 3 littl`uns
                If you can get there,how about coming to beddgelert for a few days? all those trees,doggy heaven
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Would have loved to, but I have Saturday 9th April free and then no other free weekend days until end of September... we're busy girls lots of competing and Judging to do ... and this was supposed to be a cut down year with 1 weekend a month home... thats not happend
                  A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                    You have completely misunderstood what I said,!,At no point was I suggesting that lone campers were in anyway "sad", but if you re-read mine and Jims comments it should be obvious that for many of us for a variety of reasons lone camping has sad associations - which we strive to overcome.
                    No Ian, I ddn't misunderstand you at all because my response was not directed specifically at you. My apologies if you felt it was My even deeper apologies if you feel I have offended you (and Jim) because of those "sad associations".

                    I fail to understand why you had problems at the pub,they could not have been more helpful to us and at no time were we greeted with silence or made to feel outsiders.
                    The people running the pub were great, it was the general atmosphere from the other visitors that I found awkward. Maybe they had all had a bad day and I shouldn't have wandered in after a nice walk looking so happy. Maybe I was wearing the wrong shade of blue. Who knows? But the food was too nice not to go back there again the next time I'm around here.

                    As for pitching away from everyone else,each to thier own,there is I find always a quiet corner or two if thats what you want,again you missed the point,some of our group do not want to be too close to noisy families or nosey neighbours,others dont care.
                    Oh dear...what point have I missed....and exactly where did I say that?
                    Neil

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I think it would be quite interesting to find out how many lone members there are in the C&C club and the Caravan Club. There is a certain security camping with them because they tend to be business like. I always feel that they may be looking out for me when I use their sites alone.

                      To get back to dogs. It's been a beautiful day here and I have been out all day in the van with the dog. It struck me that, like anything else, one can't generalise about them. So much depends on the breed, size and character you end up with. I have a lovely, gentle, undemanding old boy who is no trouble and sleeps quietly in the van when I leave him which I can at the moment as it is not hot. Others may be more difficult to camp with so it is important to do a lot of research before getting one. I do agree though, they are a tie at times when camping. I get round that by occasionally going without him leaving him with friends or in kennels if I have to.

                      It's ok Ian. We know you didn't mean to imply we are saddos! I like my own company at times and find that it bothers other people when I camp alone more than it does me. You know the sort of thing... "Aren't you brave"? etc.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by Bluebell View Post
                        I think it would be quite interesting to find out how many lone members there are in the C&C club and the Caravan Club. There is a certain security camping with them because they tend to be business like. I always feel that they may be looking out for me when I use their sites alone.

                        To get back to dogs. It's been a beautiful day here and I have been out all day in the van with the dog. It struck me that, like anything else, one can't generalise about them. So much depends on the breed, size and character you end up with. I have a lovely, gentle, undemanding old boy who is no trouble and sleeps quietly in the van when I leave him which I can at the moment as it is not hot. Others may be more difficult to camp with so it is important to do a lot of research before getting one. I do agree though, they are a tie at times when camping. I get round that by occasionally going without him leaving him with friends or in kennels if I have to.

                        It's ok Ian. We know you didn't mean to imply we are saddos! I like my own company at times and find that it bothers other people when I camp alone more than it does me. You know the sort of thing... "Aren't you brave"? etc.
                        Thankyou Gill, see you at lickhill.
                        BTW,I am in both clubs so that I can find a good site wherever I want to go,and can camp all year round.
                        Last edited by Ian.C.S; 22-03-2011, 22:06.
                        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
                          No Ian, I ddn't misunderstand you at all because my response was not directed specifically at you. My apologies if you felt it was My even deeper apologies if you feel I have offended you (and Jim) because of those "sad associations".



                          The people running the pub were great, it was the general atmosphere from the other visitors that I found awkward. Maybe they had all had a bad day and I shouldn't have wandered in after a nice walk looking so happy. Maybe I was wearing the wrong shade of blue. Who knows? But the food was too nice not to go back there again the next time I'm around here.



                          Oh dear...what point have I missed....and exactly where did I say that?
                          Ok Niel,
                          Maybe I am still too sensitive about this,Ok,sense of humour dongle plugged back in.
                          See you at Moreton.
                          Ian
                          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                            My first meet was with this group at Wolverley,everyone was so nice,no-one said I was weird or not welcome,and you know what I enjoyed it.So,I went to some Roma rallys,then more with SMHC,then a new companions meet. .
                            Yes I remember meeting Ian at this meet, it was one of my first meets a great time was had by all.
                            I have been widowed now just over five years and did find it hard at first, time is a great healer, I love my camping meeting people, that is why I joined "The New Companions" simply for lone campers to get together and have fun, this is NOT a dating agency, members can only go alone and meet other members for walks, wine tasting, American suppers etc, all under no pressure, there are meets all year, love it.
                            I do eat out in certain pubs I love dinning out, not in retaurants on my own, have a female companion for that, we may meet up once a month for dinner, I love living on my own now, wouldn't change that, but company on camp sites is wonderful, I am in both big clubs as well.
                            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                            'Live without regrets'

                            Comment


                              #29
                              No apologies required to me Neil. You have not offended me in any way. In fact I cannot really see what you may be apologising for!
                              You are still welcome to knock on my 'van door for company if we ever find ourselves alone on the same site.
                              Jim.
                              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I've never had a problem camping, in my van, on my own. I'm a C&Cc member and usually use rally or temporary holiday sites. I'm usually hopping and stopping for about 4 continuous weeks in the summer plus loads of weekends away. I must make it to one of the meets on this website ! There is always someone who will come and chat and I've met some lovely people. Like others eating out I take a book. I've only stayed on one large camp site and would never stay on one again, I felt vunerable.

                                Happy camping

                                Comment

                                Related Topics

                                Collapse

                                320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                                Collapse

                                728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X