Solo camping first experiance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
    I've never had a problem camping, in my van, on my own. I'm a C&Cc member and usually use rally or temporary holiday sites. I'm usually hopping and stopping for about 4 continuous weeks in the summer plus loads of weekends away. I must make it to one of the meets on this website ! There is always someone who will come and chat and I've met some lovely people. Like others eating out I take a book. I've only stayed on one large camp site and would never stay on one again, I felt vunerable.

Happy camping
    Hi Sunshine

Why not join us at Moreton in the Marsh, see the "Fancy meeting up" section, those who want to are all having a meal on the Saturday night, you would be very welcome to join us.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I'm a solo camper. I use the term 'solo' rather than 'lone' as the latter can have 'lonely' connotations and I'm certainly not the latter!

Personally, I love solo camping - I love the freedom, the flexibility and the independence and I've never felt 'lonely', 'saddo' or vulnerable. I've used campsites and CLs and often found that others talk to me or invite me to join them on CLs - I suspect a solo camper is perhaps more approachable than a couple or group.

I've been to a few wildcamping forum meets, camped on forum members' driveways and made camper-friends through forums and sometimes it's nice to have company but, given a choice, I'm a solo-camper at heart. My husband is the same on his boat - he much prefers single-handed sailing to being with a group.

I guess it's just personal preference or circumstances...

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
        I'm a solo camper. I use the term 'solo' rather than 'lone' as the latter can have 'lonely' connotations and I'm certainly not the latter!

Personally, I love solo camping - I love the freedom, the flexibility and the independence and I've never felt 'lonely', 'saddo' or vulnerable. I've used campsites and CLs and often found that others talk to me or invite me to join them on CLs - I suspect a solo camper is perhaps more approachable than a couple or group.

I've been to a few wildcamping forum meets, camped on forum members' driveways and made camper-friends through forums and sometimes it's nice to have company but, given a choice, I'm a solo-camper at heart. My husband is the same on his boat - he much prefers single-handed sailing to being with a group.

I guess it's just personal preference or circumstances...
        Morning Karen,
        I suspect that lone/solo ladies get more invites than lone males,although I have found that ones own attitude makes a huge difference, a smile and a wave breaks barriers.
        But lone males can be seen in a different light unfortunately,A year ago when I was trying to come to terms with being solo,I decided to go camping to a site I had been to with my wife many times,on arrival I checked in and was told,I must pitch in the far field" because we dont put single men near the childrens play area". Understandable in these PC times but hurtful. Another lady warden who knew us well,on discovering that I was now alone asked outright "If I had done anything to the children to cause my wife to leave"That really upset me,and I pointed out my "kids" were 38 & 40.The warden meant well,she was simply tactless I guess.I have not returned to those sites.
        Lone men are seen by some as a threat,an attitude fostered by the gutter press I fear.Its not all like that though,and most places are friendley.
        Rallys and meets dont have the problem,which is nice.
        Roll on the next meet.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
          But lone males can be seen in a different light unfortunately,A year ago when I was trying to come to terms with being solo,I decided to go camping to a site I had been to with my wife many times,on arrival I checked in and was told,I must pitch in the far field" because we dont put single men near the childrens play area". Understandable in these PC times but hurtful.
          That is awful Ian, I don't think it is understandable at all, it is discrimination, they are suggesting that all single men are potential perverts.

If it was a club site I would have reported them to head office.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            That is awful Ian, I don't think it is understandable at all, it is discrimination, they are suggesting that all single men are potential perverts.

If it was a club site I would have reported them to head office.
            it was a clubsite,but I just assumed it was club policy,kept quiet and after a couple of days moved on.
            the second incident was also on a club site but was obviously just down to a warden with no social skills,but I felt unhappy and uncomfortable so I moved on.
            Never happened anywhere else.
            Am off to my local site on the coast this w/e,hope it stays sunny,but out is nice!

Comment

I think that is terrible and that they were sailing very close to the wind!

Comment

Hi I have a husband who has his own sailing boat so most of the time I shall be on me own, but I have my little dog 'Jimmy' who I wouldn't be without. This year when I have my new R20 (in April) I am hoping to go on some of these 'Meets' and get to know the faces behind the comments, last year my husband and myself went to the AGM and enjoyed it. Up until 2 years ago I always went on a group holiday (we went all over the world without my husband) made lots of friends from all over the country then the group leader died and suddenly the group split up, it was at his time thay I decided I needed to do something different - hence the Romahome. In May we are going to France and then on to Spain (plus Jimmy) but after that I will probably be solo so I shall be brave and go to some of the 'Meets' and get to know a whole lot of new folk.

Comment

Ian

I was quite shocked to read that - esp the bit about not putting single men near a childrens' play area. How offensive to men and what sort of attitudes are today's kids going to grow up with..??

Comment

thinking back on it I guess I agree it was a poor show,but I was not in a fit state to argue at the time.I guess the wardens concerned were trying to be seen to be aware of the possible problems and maybe were concerned that they would be held to account for the actions of an offender. The blame culture breeds suspicion and avoidance of responsibility.
                    Its all a bit sad,but I dont know the answer.

Comment

Sorry soap box out! The paedophile mania in my opinion has really got out of hand. Of course checks have to made where people's jobs are with children or vulnerable people... no problem. But it has got to the stage where adults are worried about volunteering to help with children, it is so unhealthly. Watching children play is a real joy but watching children play is now something I worry about... and I suspect much worse for men.

The schools have gone potty over interpretting the rules on taking photos of children at school performances and the like..... I really think personally it is ridiculous.

My son was helped tremendously by our local CTC cycling group going out on rides without me at about 12. He would not listen to me on road sense but he listened to these experts and they were brilliant & it was clear they enjoyed having him along too. I understood it was at his risk... & obviously he knew he had to behave responsibly, but he was a hell of a lot safer with them then bombing around unsupervised and he was doing distances of 50 - 100 miles and I did not want to discourage a healthy activity and could not keep up! Now I suspect they could not do that at all. Isn't that sad!

And yes I know there are nasty people out there, the Ian Huntleys and the like but to me the risk/benefit analysis is sadly out of line.

Comment

I'm a manager in child protection, so perhaps know a lot more of the stats etc than I wish I knew!
                        People with an un-natural interest in children work hard at getting in positions of trust with children. This is a fact. However, although these people are a risk, they are a minority. Risky people target vulnerable children, those that are isolated, those that have low self esteem etc. Most abused children are abused by someone known and trusted, the stranger danger thing is horrible, but actually very rare. We should spend more time encouraging children to be confident and able to speak out about worrying situations instead of scaring off adults that are very good role models.
                        Many people suggest to me that child sexual abuse is a new thing. It is not, our awareness has increased. Now, death in road accidents, that's increased since I was young, but we don't have the same skewed response to that. I wonder why?

Comment

It really is a sad, sad world!
                          For years I have been a Skipper in charge of a Chesterfield Canal Trust trip boat.
                          I have watched the situation change so much in carrying children. No longer dare a crew member lift toddlers onto the boat without first checking with parents. And on Santa trips Santa has to be very careful to not even contact a child - no more Santa's knee.
                          I was once uncautious enough to comment on a (girl) toddler's BRILLIANT blue eyes to her mother. The expression on the mother's face suggested the Police were likely to be called! Yet they WERE the brightest and most beautiful blue eyes I have ever seen and merited a comment. Even compliments are dangerous when children are concerned!
                          Although Police checks are mostly insisted upon where contact with children is concerned they do not eliminate unconvicted Paedophiles.
                          Jim.
                          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Aileen exactly more children are killed by speeding traffic! As I say I completely see the sense in checking out people who work with children, or volunteer for a children's group like the brownies etc and it is important to be vigilent as parents. But the child abuse I know about has been where the man has a relationship with a single parent to get access to the children, and unfortunately know several instances of this which to me indicates it is really common! The child protection checks would not have saved one of these children.

But for instance the adult CTC age range 50 - 70's where they rarely had a youngster and went out as a group.... the risk is very low indeed. It was so clear that they enjoyed each other's company it was not all one way.
                            Last edited by Tentpeg; 26-03-2011, 09:25.

Comment

I would support Jayjay on this one. Our last dog , which went the same route as Jayjay's ,some years ago was the most adorable little pal . It quite lierally broke my heart when he went. He was a rescue dog and such a character. He was the last in a long line of rescue dogs that we had but I swore that I would never have another one. They get under your skin, worm their way into your heart and the loss is just to much to cope with. On top of that ,you have to think about the cost, not the everyday things but the big vet bils . We are on a limited income now and very careful with money so vet bills would cripple us. As you get older the thought of dragging out in the cold for the walkies becomes less of a pleasure. Treasure your memorys Jayjay, but dont crumble.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                                Oswestry is Indian country,watch out for your 3 littl`uns
                                White man he speak with forked tongue.

From an Oswestry native.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X