Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Megan
    replied
    Hi I have a husband who has his own sailing boat so most of the time I shall be on me own, but I have my little dog 'Jimmy' who I wouldn't be without. This year when I have my new R20 (in April) I am hoping to go on some of these 'Meets' and get to know the faces behind the comments, last year my husband and myself went to the AGM and enjoyed it. Up until 2 years ago I always went on a group holiday (we went all over the world without my husband) made lots of friends from all over the country then the group leader died and suddenly the group split up, it was at his time thay I decided I needed to do something different - hence the Romahome. In May we are going to France and then on to Spain (plus Jimmy) but after that I will probably be solo so I shall be brave and go to some of the 'Meets' and get to know a whole lot of new folk.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebell
    replied
    I think that is terrible and that they were sailing very close to the wind!

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    Originally posted by Graham View Post
    That is awful Ian, I don't think it is understandable at all, it is discrimination, they are suggesting that all single men are potential perverts.

If it was a club site I would have reported them to head office.
    it was a clubsite,but I just assumed it was club policy,kept quiet and after a couple of days moved on.
    the second incident was also on a club site but was obviously just down to a warden with no social skills,but I felt unhappy and uncomfortable so I moved on.
    Never happened anywhere else.
    Am off to my local site on the coast this w/e,hope it stays sunny,but out is nice!

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
    But lone males can be seen in a different light unfortunately,A year ago when I was trying to come to terms with being solo,I decided to go camping to a site I had been to with my wife many times,on arrival I checked in and was told,I must pitch in the far field" because we dont put single men near the childrens play area". Understandable in these PC times but hurtful.
    That is awful Ian, I don't think it is understandable at all, it is discrimination, they are suggesting that all single men are potential perverts.

If it was a club site I would have reported them to head office.

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    Originally posted by karenw View Post
    I'm a solo camper. I use the term 'solo' rather than 'lone' as the latter can have 'lonely' connotations and I'm certainly not the latter!

Personally, I love solo camping - I love the freedom, the flexibility and the independence and I've never felt 'lonely', 'saddo' or vulnerable. I've used campsites and CLs and often found that others talk to me or invite me to join them on CLs - I suspect a solo camper is perhaps more approachable than a couple or group.

I've been to a few wildcamping forum meets, camped on forum members' driveways and made camper-friends through forums and sometimes it's nice to have company but, given a choice, I'm a solo-camper at heart. My husband is the same on his boat - he much prefers single-handed sailing to being with a group.

I guess it's just personal preference or circumstances...
    Morning Karen,
    I suspect that lone/solo ladies get more invites than lone males,although I have found that ones own attitude makes a huge difference, a smile and a wave breaks barriers.
    But lone males can be seen in a different light unfortunately,A year ago when I was trying to come to terms with being solo,I decided to go camping to a site I had been to with my wife many times,on arrival I checked in and was told,I must pitch in the far field" because we dont put single men near the childrens play area". Understandable in these PC times but hurtful. Another lady warden who knew us well,on discovering that I was now alone asked outright "If I had done anything to the children to cause my wife to leave"That really upset me,and I pointed out my "kids" were 38 & 40.The warden meant well,she was simply tactless I guess.I have not returned to those sites.
    Lone men are seen by some as a threat,an attitude fostered by the gutter press I fear.Its not all like that though,and most places are friendley.
    Rallys and meets dont have the problem,which is nice.
    Roll on the next meet.

Leave a comment:

• karenw
    replied
    I'm a solo camper. I use the term 'solo' rather than 'lone' as the latter can have 'lonely' connotations and I'm certainly not the latter!

Personally, I love solo camping - I love the freedom, the flexibility and the independence and I've never felt 'lonely', 'saddo' or vulnerable. I've used campsites and CLs and often found that others talk to me or invite me to join them on CLs - I suspect a solo camper is perhaps more approachable than a couple or group.

I've been to a few wildcamping forum meets, camped on forum members' driveways and made camper-friends through forums and sometimes it's nice to have company but, given a choice, I'm a solo-camper at heart. My husband is the same on his boat - he much prefers single-handed sailing to being with a group.

I guess it's just personal preference or circumstances...

Leave a comment:

• Graham
    replied
    Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
    I've never had a problem camping, in my van, on my own. I'm a C&Cc member and usually use rally or temporary holiday sites. I'm usually hopping and stopping for about 4 continuous weeks in the summer plus loads of weekends away. I must make it to one of the meets on this website ! There is always someone who will come and chat and I've met some lovely people. Like others eating out I take a book. I've only stayed on one large camp site and would never stay on one again, I felt vunerable.

Happy camping
    Hi Sunshine

Why not join us at Moreton in the Marsh, see the "Fancy meeting up" section, those who want to are all having a meal on the Saturday night, you would be very welcome to join us.

Leave a comment:

• Sunshine
    replied
    I've never had a problem camping, in my van, on my own. I'm a C&Cc member and usually use rally or temporary holiday sites. I'm usually hopping and stopping for about 4 continuous weeks in the summer plus loads of weekends away. I must make it to one of the meets on this website ! There is always someone who will come and chat and I've met some lovely people. Like others eating out I take a book. I've only stayed on one large camp site and would never stay on one again, I felt vunerable.

Happy camping

Leave a comment:

• Twolitre
    replied
    No apologies required to me Neil. You have not offended me in any way. In fact I cannot really see what you may be apologising for!
    You are still welcome to knock on my 'van door for company if we ever find ourselves alone on the same site.
    Jim.

Leave a comment:

• gadgetman
    replied
    My first meet was with this group at Wolverley,everyone was so nice,no-one said I was weird or not welcome,and you know what I enjoyed it.So,I went to some Roma rallys,then more with SMHC,then a new companions meet. .
    Yes I remember meeting Ian at this meet, it was one of my first meets a great time was had by all.
    I have been widowed now just over five years and did find it hard at first, time is a great healer, I love my camping meeting people, that is why I joined "The New Companions" simply for lone campers to get together and have fun, this is NOT a dating agency, members can only go alone and meet other members for walks, wine tasting, American suppers etc, all under no pressure, there are meets all year, love it.
    I do eat out in certain pubs I love dinning out, not in retaurants on my own, have a female companion for that, we may meet up once a month for dinner, I love living on my own now, wouldn't change that, but company on camp sites is wonderful, I am in both big clubs as well.

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
    No Ian, I ddn't misunderstand you at all because my response was not directed specifically at you. My apologies if you felt it was My even deeper apologies if you feel I have offended you (and Jim) because of those "sad associations".

The people running the pub were great, it was the general atmosphere from the other visitors that I found awkward. Maybe they had all had a bad day and I shouldn't have wandered in after a nice walk looking so happy. Maybe I was wearing the wrong shade of blue. Who knows? But the food was too nice not to go back there again the next time I'm around here.

Oh dear...what point have I missed....and exactly where did I say that?
    Ok Niel,
    Maybe I am still too sensitive about this,Ok,sense of humour dongle plugged back in.
    See you at Moreton.
    Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebell View Post
    I think it would be quite interesting to find out how many lone members there are in the C&C club and the Caravan Club. There is a certain security camping with them because they tend to be business like. I always feel that they may be looking out for me when I use their sites alone.

To get back to dogs. It's been a beautiful day here and I have been out all day in the van with the dog. It struck me that, like anything else, one can't generalise about them. So much depends on the breed, size and character you end up with. I have a lovely, gentle, undemanding old boy who is no trouble and sleeps quietly in the van when I leave him which I can at the moment as it is not hot. Others may be more difficult to camp with so it is important to do a lot of research before getting one. I do agree though, they are a tie at times when camping. I get round that by occasionally going without him leaving him with friends or in kennels if I have to.

It's ok Ian. We know you didn't mean to imply we are saddos! I like my own company at times and find that it bothers other people when I camp alone more than it does me. You know the sort of thing... "Aren't you brave"? etc.
    Thankyou Gill, see you at lickhill.
    BTW,I am in both clubs so that I can find a good site wherever I want to go,and can camp all year round.
    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 22-03-2011, 22:06.

Leave a comment:

• Bluebell
    replied
    I think it would be quite interesting to find out how many lone members there are in the C&C club and the Caravan Club. There is a certain security camping with them because they tend to be business like. I always feel that they may be looking out for me when I use their sites alone.

To get back to dogs. It's been a beautiful day here and I have been out all day in the van with the dog. It struck me that, like anything else, one can't generalise about them. So much depends on the breed, size and character you end up with. I have a lovely, gentle, undemanding old boy who is no trouble and sleeps quietly in the van when I leave him which I can at the moment as it is not hot. Others may be more difficult to camp with so it is important to do a lot of research before getting one. I do agree though, they are a tie at times when camping. I get round that by occasionally going without him leaving him with friends or in kennels if I have to.

It's ok Ian. We know you didn't mean to imply we are saddos! I like my own company at times and find that it bothers other people when I camp alone more than it does me. You know the sort of thing... "Aren't you brave"? etc.

Leave a comment:

• 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
    replied
    You have completely misunderstood what I said,!,At no point was I suggesting that lone campers were in anyway "sad", but if you re-read mine and Jims comments it should be obvious that for many of us for a variety of reasons lone camping has sad associations - which we strive to overcome.
    No Ian, I ddn't misunderstand you at all because my response was not directed specifically at you. My apologies if you felt it was My even deeper apologies if you feel I have offended you (and Jim) because of those "sad associations".

I fail to understand why you had problems at the pub,they could not have been more helpful to us and at no time were we greeted with silence or made to feel outsiders.
    The people running the pub were great, it was the general atmosphere from the other visitors that I found awkward. Maybe they had all had a bad day and I shouldn't have wandered in after a nice walk looking so happy. Maybe I was wearing the wrong shade of blue. Who knows? But the food was too nice not to go back there again the next time I'm around here.

As for pitching away from everyone else,each to thier own,there is I find always a quiet corner or two if thats what you want,again you missed the point,some of our group do not want to be too close to noisy families or nosey neighbours,others dont care.
    Oh dear...what point have I missed....and exactly where did I say that?

Leave a comment:

• Kipsy
    replied
    Would have loved to, but I have Saturday 9th April free and then no other free weekend days until end of September... we're busy girls lots of competing and Judging to do ... and this was supposed to be a cut down year with 1 weekend a month home... thats not happend

Leave a comment: