X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    Originally posted by Kipsy View Post
    Jayjay I will lend you one of mine when I see you next, you will crumble in seconds then Marymary did
    Solo camping sad...ahem...sensible I would call it, peace perfect peace and if you think it is sad I can name at least 50 to 100 solo campers at most agility shows, OH's stay at home whilst the solo enjoys themselves with competing and catching up with friends and watching friends compete and judging and thousands of different activities who would disagree, as a few mothers / fathers have said to me it gives them a lovely break and they are happy and refreshed when they go home and can give more to their family.

For me I live alone, I camp alone, and camping and competing give me a lovely weekend break so I am fresher for work

Oh and any sad.. I mean solo or otherwise people out there, well me and Marymary are off camping this weekend at Oswestry C & CC come and join us, a last minute decision but they are the best ... btw we are both solo campers
    Oswestry is Indian country,watch out for your 3 littl`uns
    If you can get there,how about coming to beddgelert for a few days? all those trees,doggy heaven

Leave a comment:

• Kipsy
    replied
    Originally posted by jayjay View Post
    Lots of singletons around now, so no, not 'sad' at all! I suspect that there have always been a lot of singletons around, just these days we get out more!

Been there and done that myself in pubs, so I don't go on my own now. A lone woman is much more of a target and a refusal often offends!!! My secret weapon was usually a newspaper or a book! If I don't feel like cooking, I get a take-away if there's one where I'm staying.

I'm still crumbling, Kipsy, but not quite crumbled enough yet!
    Jayjay I will lend you one of mine when I see you next, you will crumble in seconds then Marymary did
    Solo camping sad...ahem...sensible I would call it, peace perfect peace and if you think it is sad I can name at least 50 to 100 solo campers at most agility shows, OH's stay at home whilst the solo enjoys themselves with competing and catching up with friends and watching friends compete and judging and thousands of different activities who would disagree, as a few mothers / fathers have said to me it gives them a lovely break and they are happy and refreshed when they go home and can give more to their family.

For me I live alone, I camp alone, and camping and competing give me a lovely weekend break so I am fresher for work

Oh and any sad.. I mean solo or otherwise people out there, well me and Marymary are off camping this weekend at Oswestry C & CC come and join us, a last minute decision but they are the best ... btw we are both solo campers

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    Originally posted by 1_man_and_his_dob(lo) View Post
    Well, I hope being solo isn't a bit 'sad', but if it is then fine..... I don't care 'cos I like this 'sad' thing. When I'm in the van I'm not dependant on anyone else, and they're not dependent on me (thank goodness ).

(As an aside, wouldn't it be nice for the C&CC, etc. to publish literature that actually showed...heaven forbid....single people enjoying themselves on site, instead of the stereotypical family of 4, or elderly couple. Anyway, I digress....)

Pubs/restaurants...hmmm, tricky. I tend to take my secret weapon, aka a newpaper/magazine, so if it's not possible to strike up a conversation I can keep myself occupied while I eat.

I'm at Kingsbury C&CC at the moment, and just visited the Dog & Doublet. I sort of had one of those moments in a western movie where I walked in an everyone stopped talking and stared, while I enquired about food (maybe I should have asked if it was a local pub, for local people ).

Staff were nice though, and I managed to get though some of my new C&CC magazine while everybody else whispered/mumbled to themselves. Lovely food too.
    You have completely misunderstood what I said,!,At no point was I suggesting that lone campers were in anyway "sad", but if you re-read mine and Jims comments it should be obvious that for many of us for a variety of reasons lone camping has sad associations - which we strive to overcome.
    I fail to understand why you had problems at the pub,they could not have been more helpful to us and at no time were we greeted with silence or made to feel outsiders.
    As for pitching away from everyone else,each to thier own,there is I find always a quiet corner or two if thats what you want,again you missed the point,some of our group do not want to be too close to noisy families or nosey neighbours,others dont care.

Leave a comment:

• jayjay
    replied
    Lots of singletons around now, so no, not 'sad' at all! I suspect that there have always been a lot of singletons around, just these days we get out more!

Been there and done that myself in pubs, so I don't go on my own now. A lone woman is much more of a target and a refusal often offends!!! My secret weapon was usually a newspaper or a book! If I don't feel like cooking, I get a take-away if there's one where I'm staying.

I'm still crumbling, Kipsy, but not quite crumbled enough yet!
    Last edited by jayjay; 22-03-2011, 12:12.

Leave a comment:

• 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
    replied
    Well, I hope being solo isn't a bit 'sad', but if it is then fine..... I don't care 'cos I like this 'sad' thing. When I'm in the van I'm not dependant on anyone else, and they're not dependent on me (thank goodness ).

(As an aside, wouldn't it be nice for the C&CC, etc. to publish literature that actually showed...heaven forbid....single people enjoying themselves on site, instead of the stereotypical family of 4, or elderly couple. Anyway, I digress....)

Pubs/restaurants...hmmm, tricky. I tend to take my secret weapon, aka a newpaper/magazine, so if it's not possible to strike up a conversation I can keep myself occupied while I eat.

I'm at Kingsbury C&CC at the moment, and just visited the Dog & Doublet. I sort of had one of those moments in a western movie where I walked in an everyone stopped talking and stared, while I enquired about food (maybe I should have asked if it was a local pub, for local people ).

Staff were nice though, and I managed to get though some of my new C&CC magazine while everybody else whispered/mumbled to themselves. Lovely food too.

Leave a comment:

• Kipsy
    replied
    Not at all Twolitre, it actually sound more like you didn't have many dogs inspect the Romini unlike people doing so and to be honest, I hate people putting small dogs on carriers on motorbikes... god the safety aspect alone is enough to give me a heart attack, that is not caring for your dog, how safe are they if a car runs into the bike so thank you for being sensible,

Jayjay, let the resolution crumble, its doesn't mean that you love Merlyn any less, as for the snow and ice walking, well my 3 have just had the garden this winter with me having a knee op, it depends on the breed the amount of exercise they need, but with having the 3 they play and chase each other in the garden anyway, giving them sufficient exercise and now we have long walks at the weekends, cold yes snow and ice no, can't let Jade my westie out in those conditions anyway because of the risk of injury to her.

Crumble Jayjay, think of them waiting for you to come home, the love they give is worth more than any amount of money spent on them... I should know mine have cost me a small fortune

Leave a comment:

• Twolitre
    replied
    Maybe my last post suggested I do not like dogs. In fact I have had several dogs and would probably have one now except that my other relaxation/interest is in my classic motorbikes and I would never leave a dog alone while I was out for the day.
    I know some m/cyclists ingeniously take their dogs, but only small ones in a carrier or similar. My last dog was a wonderful Belgian Shepherd, hardly small enough to fit on a motorbike.
    I would love to still have him when 'vanning and I'm sure he would have encouraged many people on sites to say "hello".
    Jim.

Leave a comment:

• jayjay
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluebell View Post
    Having a dog also helps (not suggesting you get one Eugene unless you really want one) but people do tend to talk to you when you have a dog - especially other dog owners. :
    I've been single for a long time. Rarely lonely as I'm quite happy with my own company.

I had a dog, some will remember her, my Merlyn. When she had to be PTS it broke my heart and I couldn't bear to go and get another one. I really miss her when camping alone, dogs are really good company and I could go anywhere and not feel lonely. Since she's gone I find I'm reluctant to go camping on my own, unless going to a SMH meet where I know there will be friends I know. It didn't bother me in the slightest when she was around, I was just like Kipsy describes in her last paragraph.

However, dogs are a life committment, just like children really. It's been good this winter not to have to go out every day to walk a dog, especially in the snow and ice. And nice whilst away to be able to go inside shops, and cafe's rather than looking through windows and sitting out on the pavement, esp. in cold and wet weather!

And no worries about vets and bills, worrying whether they are too hot in the car/caravan, and so on. That's the main thing that makes me think twice about getting another one, the worry of them.

Although my resolution not to get another dog is slowly crumbling!

Leave a comment:

• Kipsy
    replied
    Having been a single person and single camper for many a year I can understand how you feel, still feel like that sometimes myself, I am a loner and like my privacy which is also why I like this forum, the combi camp forum and another one, you can join up on meets, say hello but don't feel pressured to have to go out to meals etc, and its nice just knowing they are there and will welcome you as and when required, as you have probably read on other posts I do have 3 fluffy companions, who are my children to me and its nice just being with them, unfortunately they can not go into pubs, but they can do National Trust grounds.

It is weird sitting alone eating, I must admit though I do tend to have a takeaway or cook in the caravan mainly to be with my girls.

A lot of my weekends are taken up with my agility competitions and they are nice as I have got to know a lot of the competitors but again I can keep my privacy.

I do find that I tend to choose the quieter restaurants if I want to go out for a meal and ask for a corner table, then I can people watch and relax.

It is strange and it remains strange, but I go camping for relaxation and peace and quiet, strange coming from someone who lives on their own, but its no tv no phone calls just me and the girls and a good book

Leave a comment:

• Dabs
    replied
    Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
    Good,so come and pitch up with us at Moreton in Marsh
    Love to Ian, unfortunately the dates clash with a previously booked event,had it have been the week later Im on Shutdown week in work and it would have been a BIG yes to come!! Dont worry if we can attend in future we will be!!

Dabs

Leave a comment:

• Ian.C.S
    replied
    Originally posted by Dabs View Post
    This is a great thread I applaud all lone campers as I have been one of them,I bought my van with the intention of providing hols and weekends away for my family unfortunately i did it at a time when my kids had just reached the age of it being "uncool" to be with Mum and Dad and they had their own interests and things to do.My wife as much as she supported my camping addiction was never a fully commited camper so I had two choices really sell my van within a few months of buying it or go it alone.For 4 years I went it alone if it wasn't for being a member of Bongo Fury (owners club) who have a very active Meet calendar and having met some wonderful friends from there I think I would have sold my van long before I did late last year.I too had things I did like to do and not like to do whilst lone camping,I have to admit leading up to my vans sale I was becoming more and more homesick by each trip Id no sooner arrive at site set up and after an hour feel like returning home,its difficult.
    My story does have a happy ending even though I have sold my campervan both myself,wife and our two doggies (kids are old enough now to be left...yayy!!) we have bought a lovely tent and will be going camping from now on together.Im looking forwards to the camping future!!

Dabs
    Good,so come and pitch up with us at Moreton in Marsh

Leave a comment:

• Dabs
    replied
    This is a great thread I applaud all lone campers as I have been one of them,I bought my van with the intention of providing hols and weekends away for my family unfortunately i did it at a time when my kids had just reached the age of it being "uncool" to be with Mum and Dad and they had their own interests and things to do.My wife as much as she supported my camping addiction was never a fully commited camper so I had two choices really sell my van within a few months of buying it or go it alone.For 4 years I went it alone if it wasn't for being a member of Bongo Fury (owners club) who have a very active Meet calendar and having met some wonderful friends from there I think I would have sold my van long before I did late last year.I too had things I did like to do and not like to do whilst lone camping,I have to admit leading up to my vans sale I was becoming more and more homesick by each trip Id no sooner arrive at site set up and after an hour feel like returning home,its difficult.
    My story does have a happy ending even though I have sold my campervan both myself,wife and our two doggies (kids are old enough now to be left...yayy!!) we have bought a lovely tent and will be going camping from now on together.Im looking forwards to the camping future!!

Dabs

Leave a comment:

• Tentpeg
    replied
    Thanks for your replies I think groups might be worth a try. The funny thing is I often used to go off on my own whilst the children were at home and it was no problem, in fact a relief to have a break.

Leave a comment:

• eugene
    replied
    That's OK Bluebell, I understand how you feel about dogs. When my wife was alive we had a German Sheperd, and it nearly broke my wife,s heart when it died, as the dog went everywhere with her.

Leave a comment:

• Twolitre
    replied
    I suppose the reasons for lone camping make us deal with it differently.
    Having enjoyed many many extended breaks in many places (not alone), I suddenly found myself alone.
    At first I visited places with fond memories, which left me very unhappy.
    Using the same 'van, which seemed empty and lonely did not help either and I disposed of the 'van.
    Then one day I chanced to see the Romini and thought maybe the different ambience and its small size would help. Took the plunge!
    Although I use it less than was customary, it works well, coupled with looking for new places to visit and never staying in places with memories. Not that they are not fond memories, but they make being alone hurt.
    I have concentrated on and visited places which were only names, but are now new memories to dwell on. And I still have a list to cover yet.
    I enjoy my outings, often meeting new people. I don't know about dogs, but I have lots of people wanting to inspect the Romini!
    Go for it. It is what you make it!
    Jim.

Leave a comment: