Solo camping first experiance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pendel View Post
    We are on a limited income now and very careful with money so vet bills would cripple us. As you get older the thought of dragging out in the cold for the walkies becomes less of a pleasure. Treasure your memorys Jayjay, but dont crumble.
    Limited budget is understandable, but then again, I give up things instead to keep the insurance going and save for the normal vet bills.

Having to go out in the cold for walkies... well that depends on your breed of dog, mine are happy playing in the garden for a short while and running around the house, they dislike the cold same as me, but on a nice day we have a nice enjoyable walk. Not all dogs need the same amount of exercise that where your research and understanding of dogs comes into it.

I can't walk very far some days and others I can, so my considered that before going for the breeds I have, the Japanese Spitz is known to be a very good apartment dog, not needing long walks, in fact enjoying exercise in the house / apartment itself.

Personally I would not have a collie or spaniel as I can not give them the exercise that I feel is appropriate but some are happy with little exercise, it depends on the dog and the breed charateristics.

For Jayjay, knowing she has similar shoulder problems to me, I would recommend something like the Japanese Spitz a friendly lap dog who is also happy to walk and camp and is not hard on the shoulder or back when in pain.

People think a dog is a dog, they are so so wrong, each has its own traits and abilities, the breeding gives us a guide line... for example my Japanese Spitz love agility but I know of someone who has had 3 that hate agility, but they all love a cuddle.

Exercise does not have to be daily walks, when I had my knee op, I couldn't walk, so I exercised the girls in the house, they love playing fetch up and down the stairs and in the living room, they had exercise I was able to rest my leg and none of use had to risk the cold. And if you really wanted, well there are doggie treadmills available
    A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

Another alternative to a dog is a big, cuddly, free-range house-bunny. These are rapidly growing in popularity, particularly amongst professional couples working long hours and unable to commit to morning, mid-day and evening walkies.

Large-breed rabbits have many of the characteristics of small dogs - playful, affectionate etc and although they enjoy a walk on a lead and harness, this isn't essential.

Buns travel well, love to scamper across a beach, are quiet, don't smell and they'll use a litter tray. Could be worth considering for anyone looking for a furry friend but unable to commit to the needs of a dog.

Not that I'm biased, of course...

Comment

oh oh oh, they are lovely, then again I just love animals, would love to have a Norweigan Forest or Maine Coone cat, or maybe a Ragdoll, had a rabbit years ago, but Bugsy wasn't that friendly, I do think the large breed Rabbits are so cute
        A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

Hi,

Only just caught up with this thread. I’m a single male solo camper. I can’t say that I have had any problems at the campsite I use in North Norfolk. They might of course been a bit more tactful about it, but then again I’ve been going there for about 4 years now, so I presume nobody has complained!!!

Personally, I’d be more than happy to have a pitch as far away from the play area as possible so I don’t get harassed by the kids. Maybe that would have been a better way of putting it. “Have the pitch away from the play area, so YOU don’t get disturbed so much”!!!

Having not ever had kids, I’m afraid kids aren’t the most wonderful thing in the world and shouldn’t be allowed to run amuck as they like.

I’m sure my opinion would change if I ever had kids!

On the happier subject of dogs – I had a mixed breed hound about 14 years I think – couldn’t go anywhere without him – even to the loo. He was black and definitely my shadow. Won’t have another one now, as there would be too many complications!

Rabbits you say Karen?!

Dave
          SteamyDave http://www.steamydave.co.uk/campervan
          "If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Comment

Ian, that is disgusting, treating you like that.
            Why just lone men ?
            What about the females who are now in jail after the abuse case at the nursery.

Comment

Thankyou for the kind thought,yes it was hurtful,but I guess its the way the world is now.As I said earlier,I dont know the answer,it just makes me feel sad that men in my situation are automatically seen as a threat.
              However the friendships I found with this SMHC forum make up for a lot of hurt.
              See you at Morton.
              Ian
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

One day driving home from work, I passed a lad of about 11 or 12. He was clearly in pain, one shoe in hand, limping badly and tears on his face. I passed him on a country road, next village about 2 miles. For the next two miles, I worried about him, and also worried about whether I should offer him a lift. In the end, I decided that I would rather take the risk and offer him a lift than read in the paper that he had disappeared or been run over. I turned round, offered him a lift and he was so in pain that he readily accepted. I also broached the subject of him taking a lift from a stranger, and showed him my ID as I work for the loca authority.

I've shared this, to demonstrate that it's not only men that worry about being near kids or offering help. To make things worse, I'm the Children's Safeguarding Manager in my county, and still felt worried about stopping to offer help. However, most of us are good guys, but we should not be offended if the net to catch the bad guys occasionally includes us all in it.

Comment

It makes me very angry when I read about things like this. Who on earth thinks a single person is more likely to be a pervert than a partnered person.
                  Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

I agree Robin. I know someone who is currently in prison, serving 12 yrs for sexually abusing his own daughters when they were young. They kept quiet about it untill their mum had died as they didnt want to break her heart. They are both in their 40's now. He will proberly die in prison as he is in his 60's. Its not just single people who are a risk and it is usually someone they know well.

Comment

Eating alone in pubs

Hi everybody,
                      Just a quick personal tip. I don't camp alone, but my job used to involve travelling around and I often had lunch in a local pub. Initially I used to be bothered by men wanting to sit with me etc etc, but I soon found the solution. Open a pink Financial Times and your space is your own! Try it.

Comment

Reading some of the comments here makes my blood boil, is this progress, very very sad, what's it going to be like in twenty five years on, I hate to think, I wont be arround thank God I'm one of the old School with fond memories of the year gone by.
                        Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                        'Live without regrets'

Comment

Solo camping - senior member

Most interesting read - the opinions on solo camping. I have just bought my very first campervan - a c15 romahome. Prior to this I camped in my little three man tent.
                          I've often thought how nice it would be to have a solo camping section of a club and may be there is one here. I'd love to meet up with 'singles' for a chat, meal or drink, or just a game of cards. Yes, I agree that it can be a little intimidating eating in a pub on your own, especially, funnily enough, if you're female. I tend to eat outside where my dog can lie beside me then if I start talking to myself, people think I'm talking to the dog!
                          I like the idea of a newspaper - a good shield to peer over the top to watch the world go by!
                          And talking of being on my own - does anyone have any suggestions on an a lightweight awning (to fit my romahome) that I could put and take down on my own?? I would be very grateful for any information.
                          I have a steel framed awning but it really needs two people to handle it so it's up for sale. No curtains, so very cheep cheep. Anyone interested?

Comment

Originally posted by mari2chris View Post
                            Most interesting read - the opinions on solo camping. I have just bought my very first campervan - a c15 romahome. Prior to this I camped in my little three man tent.
                            I've often thought how nice it would be to have a solo camping section of a club and may be there is one here. I'd love to meet up with 'singles' for a chat, meal or drink, or just a game of cards. Yes, I agree that it can be a little intimidating eating in a pub on your own, especially, funnily enough, if you're female. I tend to eat outside where my dog can lie beside me then if I start talking to myself, people think I'm talking to the dog!
                            I like the idea of a newspaper - a good shield to peer over the top to watch the world go by!
                            And talking of being on my own - does anyone have any suggestions on an a lightweight awning (to fit my romahome) that I could put and take down on my own?? I would be very grateful for any information.
                            I have a steel framed awning but it really needs two people to handle it so it's up for sale. No curtains, so very cheep cheep. Anyone interested?
                            Hi,
                            why not come and join us on a meet,lots of us are solo,with dogs,cats,rabbits,etc etc.
                            there is a lot of information about awnings on this forum,most folk have a movelite or riversway or something similar
                            anyway,welcome to the SMHC family.
                            Ian
                            p.s you dont say where abouts in the UK you are,it helps to know the area,also your forum name gives no clue to gender, I assume I am talking to one of the girls,sorry if I have got it wrong.
                            Last edited by Ian.C.S; 05-06-2011, 17:31.

Comment

Solo camping

Hi Ian,
                              Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am female. My name is actually Maria and I'm from Llandysul, between Newcastle Emlyn and Lampeter in mid/west Wales. Would love to attend a meet, quite tired of camping on my own. I guess if I keep a look out on the forum I'll be able to find the date and venue of the next one. Do I have to book with someone first?
                              Maria

Comment

Originally posted by mari2chris View Post
                                Hi Ian,
                                Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I am female. My name is actually Maria and I'm from Llandysul, between Newcastle Emlyn and Lampeter in mid/west Wales. Would love to attend a meet, quite tired of camping on my own. I guess if I keep a look out on the forum I'll be able to find the date and venue of the next one. Do I have to book with someone first?
                                Maria
                                Hello Maria,
                                Jayjay is going to Beddgelert,next week.You can send her a question on this forum if you are interested.A meet is being arranged for the South West,see the thread below,let Tentpeg know if you want to go and book independantly with the site,another meet is being planned for early Sept in Polstead,see the Fancy Meeting Up section.There will be more.There is a meet in the cotswolds at Greenhill Farm if that interests you, so plenty to begin with.
                                If you are going somewhere,tell us where and when and you may well get company
                                There are other groups too,are you in the Roma club? they have a lot of rallys,contact Niloc on the thread above.
                                Carry on camping,Nationwide Campers have a lot of meets and appear on this forum and some of us go to their meets. Lastly quite a few of us are also members of New Companions,a group for people who camp solo,they have meets all over the country.
                                You have a lot to do.I look forward to meeting you.
                                Ian
                                Last edited by Ian.C.S; 05-06-2011, 20:42.

Comment