Solo caravanning clubs and pet insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robin View Post
    Most of the clubs are about £15 for a years membership.
    Whereas the Small Motorhome Forum is completely free, we have lots of solo campers who make lifelong friends and some even get married, don’t they Dave and Pat , Ian.C.S , NomadSue ?

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Doog, there is a lot to be said for your suggestion and if it was a boiler or a washing machine I'd agree but I wouldnt want to have to think about treatment if a problem happened ,just get it done. my friends dog had cancer and a leg removed,it sadly died anyway but with insurance he knew everything had been tried. If he was faced with a big bill and an unpromising outcome he might have been tempted to call it a day. Thanks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by doog View Post
        Dave. howsabout dumping the insurance and setting aside a regular amount in a saving scheme. couple of people I know take this route. it might not cover the vet bills or you might not get any!. just a thought.
        That's what I have done. Check out any pet charities in your area as well, they often offer lower premiums.

Comment

Getting back to solo camping lol . I am a member of the new companions camping club. Have been for about 5 years now. They are great. There is another club called New Horizons which I might also try so I can get more of a choice of camping venue. I have found that people try to make newcomers welcome and it's not good if a newcomer felt excluded but I have never seen it. As regards the Phoenix club I have heard the opposite about friendliness,two friends of mine have said they would never go to another of their meets. Most of the clubs are about £15 for a years membership.
          Well I'm only paying £12 p.a. membership fees for both Phoenix and New Companions so don't know where the £15 comes from?
          Cynthia

Comment

Getting back to solo camping lol . I am a member of the new companions camping club. Have been for about 5 years now. They are great. There is another club called New Horizons which I might also try so I can get more of a choice of camping venue. I have found that people try to make newcomers welcome and it's not good if a newcomer felt excluded but I have never seen it. As regards the Phoenix club I have heard the opposite about friendliness,two friends of mine have said they would never go to another of their meets. Most of the clubs are about £15 for a years membership.
            As with many clubs / moving into a new area, it is not always easy to 'launch' yourself in order to break he ice, especially if you are recently widowed or divorced. When i joined the new Companions club, I was contacted by local member who met me in town, over a cup of coffee. A lovely lady, though I must admit I didn't follow through to attend the meet / rallies!

I had just retired when I bought my campervan. I wasn't looking for a new spouse / partner, just new friends.

Whereas the Small Motorhome Forum is completely free, we have lots of solo campers who make lifelong friends and some even get married, don’t they Dave and Pat , Ian.C.S , NomadSue ?
            The big advantages of this forum are:

(a) you already know we are a friendly, at times quirkly lot

(b) it is free and well moderated, so you know you are unlikely to encounter people who you would otherwsie prefer to avoid.

(c) You get a chance to 'meet' people online prior to any meets or rallies. so you feel you already know them when you arrive on site. And you get the chance to follow through with new contacts of you want.

(d) It doesn't matter if you are a solo or half of a pair, as we all wander round chatting to everyone anyway - just remember to carry your mug / cup with you!

(e) You can, if you wish, initiate things ie tell people you plan to go to a particular campsite on particular dates, and ask if anyone would like to join you for companionship.
            (f) But the forum comes with a warning - the three words I highlighted in Graham's post.
            Last edited by NomadSue; 21-02-2019, 12:11.
            Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

Well I'm only paying £12 p.a. membership fees for both Phoenix and New Companions so don't know where the £15 comes from?
              Cynthia
              Sorry Cynthia, my mistake. I'd just been looking at the New Horizons (formerly the Loners) group and they are £15.
              Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post

As with many clubs / moving into a new area, it is not always easy to 'launch' yourself in order to break he ice, especially if you are recently widowed or divorced. When i joined the new Companions club, I was contacted by local member who met me in town, over a cup of coffee. A lovely lady, though I must admit I didn't follow through to attend the meet / rallies!

I had just retired when I bought my campervan. I wasn't looking for a new spouse / partner, just new friends.

The big advantages of this forum are:

(a) you already know we are a friendly, at times quirkly lot
                Quirkly????
                Carpe diem! :)

Comment

yes they do get married Pat and I had been traveling around 3 years .until getting married this year .some clubs charge membership and organise meets one after another for months like new companions . at CCC club sites .they play cards in an evening and organise days out together . depends what you are looking for . some go off walking every day together... why not Come and join our friendly group lots of ideas .free chat all year around on line! regards Part and Dave with the 2 dogs.
                  BuzznDave

Comment

" QUIRKLY " adjective. Deviating from the customary: bizarre, cranky, curious, eccentric, erratic, freakish, idiosyncratic, odd, outlandish, peculiar, quaint, queer, singular, strange, unnatural, unusual, weird. Slang: kooky, screwball. British Slang: rum, rummy. ...SO thats why we met and got married we are Quirkly!!! its nice and sunny here on the edge of the bay so we will go and sit in the sun with a glass of Red and discuss our Quirkly /ness. we think we need to go away for a few days to think about this ?! in the sun ! not with a sledge or boat but Yes to sun glasses ...no sign of our new van yet so I don't think we will make Kingsbury.. Im in trouble again sorry its Pat not part and Dave
                    BuzznDave

Comment

Dave, £73 per month is horrendous! I don't pay that much for my car.
                      Put half that in the bank; that's what we do, and so far we're well in front. We might even have a free holiday on Lucy next year!

Comment

Originally posted by emmerson View Post
                        Dave, £73 per month is horrendous! I don't pay that much for my car.
                        Put half that in the bank; that's what we do, and so far we're well in front. We might even have a free holiday on Lucy next year!
                        How did we get to be discussing pet insurance on the Solo Caravanning Clubs thread!? Diversifying, as always! Anyway, I'm wondering whether to cancel Echo's pet insurance this year. It strikes me it's just a big con as there are so many exclusions, such as dental care and blood tests. My policy claims to cover dental care but when you read the small print there are so many conditions that the likelihood of getting any money out of them is zilch. The excess on the policy is £80 but most consultations for the odd visit are under that.

What annoys me about my vet these days is that he tries to send me on guilt trips: suggests as Echo is nearly 9 she should be having routine blood tests for liver, heart and kidney failure. I pointed out to him that I'm 70, but I don't get routine blood tests either, and both the dog and I are fit and healthy, so no, I'm not paying out for these blood tests. The push to sell you more and more in the way of medications makes me wonder whether, even if I agreed to these blood tests, whether results did actually show a need for treatment? As a human nurse I have no idea what are 'normal limits' for dogs, even if I was allowed to see the results. Oh, by the way, once your dog is diagnosed as having abnormal blood tests they insist on you buying specific food (from the Vet, of course!) at further expense. My neighbour has been caught up in this con. Her spaniel is 13 mind, but still enjoys her twice daily walks and runs around with Echo as though there was nothing wrong with her! - Looks as bright as a button to me, with a lovely wet nose and a shiny coat.

Graham and/or all other Mods, maybe this needs to go in a separate thread as there may be lots of other dog owners wanting to comment on this subject and might not spot it here.
                        Cynthia.

Comment

Emerson,thats exactly what I would do if she was younger but I wont have much chance to build up a pot I dont imagine Thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

Graham and/or all other Mods, maybe this needs to go in a separate thread as there may be lots of other dog owners wanting to comment on this subject and might not spot it here.
                            Cynthia.
                            CyberCynth I’ve changed the title of the thread to incorporate pet insurance.

Graham
                            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post

CyberCynth I’ve changed the title of the thread to incorporate pet insurance.
                              Thanks Graham.
                              Cynthia..

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X