No announcement yet.

Solo caravanning clubs and pet insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have come a bit late to this thread, being a solo, dog owning, campervanner who was away travelling round Portugal, France and Spain when it started, meeting up with other solos I have met through camping.

Pet insurance - Reg was 8 when I adopted him from Dogs Trust and came with a month free insurance with Petplan. I kept it on because I've had a previous dog insured with them and they are very good. It's £48+ a month. Some companies "drop" you as soon as the dog reaches 10 or 12 but they don't. He is now 11 and permanently on joint supplements which they are paying for. The previous dog I had insured with them was diagnosed with heart disease at about 7 and was on expensive heart medication for the rest of her life which they covered - another 6 or 7 years during which they paid me more than I paid them!

Re clubs - I did join the Phoenix Club for a couple of years but it wasn't online so had to be paid by posting a cheque - how old fashioned - and they didn't send out reminders so my membership ran out, I never went on any of their meets because I'm always off meeting other people so couldn't fit in them. I couldn't be bothered to find my chequebook to pay again (it hadn't been used for a year). I also belong to the two big ones - C&CC and CaMC - as quite often groups use their sites for meeting up.

As well as this wonderful forum, I belong to a couple of others who have a lot of solo members and also to a few solo Facebook groups so I am usually having to decide which meet/rally to go on because they clash, rather than not having anywhere to go.

Over the years (I was widowed 17 years ago) I have built up quite a network of camping friends but I know it can be hard at first. Having a dog (or the kids I had when I was first alone) can be good icebreakers. Your dog looks a sweetie, Deli Dave, I hope you have many happy years together and Reg and I look forward to meeting you both on a field somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
      I have come a bit late to this thread, being a solo, dog owning, campervanner who was away travelling round Portugal, France and Spain when it started, meeting up with other solos I have met through camping.

Pet insurance - Reg was 8 when I adopted him from Dogs Trust and came with a month free insurance with Petplan. I kept it on because I've had a previous dog insured with them and they are very good. It's £48+ a month. Some companies "drop" you as soon as the dog reaches 10 or 12 but they don't. He is now 11 and permanently on joint supplements which they are paying for. The previous dog I had insured with them was diagnosed with heart disease at about 7 and was on expensive heart medication for the rest of her life which they covered - another 6 or 7 years during which they paid me more than I paid them!

Re clubs - I did join the Phoenix Club for a couple of years but it wasn't online so had to be paid by posting a cheque - how old fashioned - and they didn't send out reminders so my membership ran out, I never went on any of their meets because I'm always off meeting other people so couldn't fit in them. I couldn't be bothered to find my chequebook to pay again (it hadn't been used for a year). I also belong to the two big ones - C&CC and CaMC - as quite often groups use their sites for meeting up.

As well as this wonderful forum, I belong to a couple of others who have a lot of solo members and also to a few solo Facebook groups so I am usually having to decide which meet/rally to go on because they clash, rather than not having anywhere to go.

Over the years (I was widowed 17 years ago) I have built up quite a network of camping friends but I know it can be hard at first. Having a dog (or the kids I had when I was first alone) can be good icebreakers. Your dog looks a sweetie, Deli Dave, I hope you have many happy years together and Reg and I look forward to meeting you both on a field somewhere.
      Hi Caz, I think your membership of the Phoenix Club must have been in their early days. I joined a few years ago and have always been able to pay/renew online, and I have now set up a standing order so my membership renewal is paid automatically. The Phoenix Club does have a website, and a forum, though the latter is not used a great deal as most members seem to prefer using the Club's Facebook page. Yeugh.... they're welcome to it.

Dave and Pat Like the New Companions Club the Phoenix Club has a 'Coffee Morning' meet every morning too, though not 'early'! About 10.00hrs usually, it's used to plan activities for the day ahead. The caravanners usually offer transport for motorhomers, no set fees are charged for this, it's usually by agreement amongst the passengers, depending on distances travelled.
      Cynthia

Comment

Think it was about 5 or 6 years ago, Cynthia.

P.S. 10am would be too early for me - I expect a coffee morning to be at elevenses time!

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
          Think it was about 5 or 6 years ago, Cynthia.

P.S. 10am would be too early for me - I expect a coffee morning to be at elevenses time!
          I'm usually awake at 06.00 or 07.00hrs and by 10.00 I am breakfasted and already been out for one walk with Echo, and ready for another coffee, and hopefully a cake or biccies at least! An acquaintance of mine complained that 10.00hrs was actually too late for coffee as he wanted to be out and about visiting the area by then! There's no accounting for taste...
          Cynthia.

Comment

Hi Deli Dave. I am Dave of Pat nDave /Buzz and Tilly...The New companions club ,its in the terms of membership the price per mile the car owner charges ..NO dogs are allowed at the morning meet or to the evening get-together. ,..I was with them in Scotland for a month we did go for walks with the other dog owners , But I would not put mine in the van all day as others did , just to go off together. I lunched most days in a pub With buzz and met LOTS of v friendly. locals .
            I have a re homed Springer spaniel ,a retired Police sniffer dog..ive had him 5 yrs he is 13 now . Over the Last 3 years .Ive gone off for an explore with members of the SMF and F ...and there....dogs. .There I met Pat and her Dog Tilly a Patterdale terrier...Nomad sue has already explained about SMF very well .
            Now we have got married ... Come to one of our meets you will meet and make new friends . Also the Caravan and camping club has District association meets . that are in a field 8 to 10 £ a night no EHU. .. Some clubs are all walkers and expect you to do the same. Some are full time campers ie they let out there home and travel around together all summer and go to Spain in the winter. A Very social life together .So before you spend ££ s on Joining clubs, research carefully. Be Mindful with any groups of people some are afraid of dogs or have had a nasty experience.
            Remember some clubs are about friendship of people going out eating and playing games ie cards ! not including dogs they belong in the van as they would be shut up at home . We travel about together the 4 of us two humans 2 dogs .so a meal in a pub is a dog friendly one . it takes all sorts . thats why us two odd bods got together seeing the funny side helps..... good luck and well done you for taking on your dog ..I was animal welfare visitor too two police force dog units . You are never solo camping with a DOG !!!!!
            BuzznDave

Comment

Sorry Dave I never said I like your Dog look forward to meeting her BILD1193.JPG this is Buzz and Tilly asking is that food up there .
              BuzznDave

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X