Solo Microcamping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
    Re Fuel filler - the same on the L200 but you can only release the filler flap from inside the vehicle - a locking cap would be double locking. Try opening the flap before unlocking.
    New vehicles always have little catch us out thingies - my filler cap is on the opposite side to the Toyota’s a couple of times I have had to Waltz around the pumps
    Jon
    Crikey, good job that wasn't the case with the Sharan - I'd still be sitting at the filling station now, wondering how to get to the filler cap...!

READ THE MANUAL! I hear you all cry. Well yes, that would seem like a sensible option. However, I think they are written by people of a much younger generation than me, and assume a certain prior knowledge on the part of the reader. Ho hum.... This idea that 'To do 'A' you have to do 'B' first' but nobody tells you how to do B! It is assumed that the average 4 year old could manage that, but it's beyond your technophobic septuagenarian.
    Cynthia

Comment

Most vehicles have a locking cover now rather than a locking cap. Both my new-ish Vauxhall and ancient Stepwagon have covers that lock. The Steppy's is released by a handle under the dash while the Vauxhall just requires a press on the cover. When he car is locked the fuel cover locks too.
      Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
        Most vehicles have a locking cover now rather than a locking cap. Both my new-ish Vauxhall and ancient Stepwagon have covers that lock. The Steppy's is released by a handle under the dash while the Vauxhall just requires a press on the cover. When he car is locked the fuel cover locks too.
        Yep...same here with my Estima....my release handle is down by the side of the driver's seat.

Comment

First long run in the Sharan today! Up to Rhyl to buy the Khyam tailgate awning, being advertised by one of our forum members, Anita52 - Thanks! Looking forward to my first outing with my new car and new kit!

Very pleased with both the car and the awning (although the latter hasn't been out of the bag yet! - but it looks like a proper job for the VW) Anyone ever felt that slight sense of apprehension the first time they take their new (old) car on the motorway system? I needn't have worried, she runs like a dream, nice firm seats that still feel just as comfortable after a 4 hour run, a nice quiet, but responsive engine and everything working as it should do. - Except the radio, which only comes on when it feels like it apparently.

I filled the fuel tank up before leaving home and topped it up again before leaving Rhyl. I was a bit surprised to find the MPG only 42. I was hoping for a bit more, from a diesel? Also, there's virtually no weight in the car as 4 of the seats have been removed, and especially as the journey up was mostly motorways and duals. I came home via the much more pleasant, scenic route, down through border country, a lot of bendy roads, traffic lights, roundabouts etc, so the auto box was up and down like a fiddlers elbow, so I doubt the consumption on the return journey will even be as much as that. Perhaps I shouldn't expect too much of an 11 year old car! Very pleased with it though!
          Cynthia

Comment

Glad all went well and you enjoyed the drive CyberCynth ...I don't think the mpg sounds bad tbh...but then I'm used to much lower figures...lol...I don't think MPV's of whatever fuel persuausion are known for their high mpg's.

Comment

How does the Sharan mpg compare to the Skoda towing?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyt View Post
                How does the Sharan mpg compare to the Skoda towing?
                Ah, good question tonyt ! I have just consulted my little mileage book. It didn't drop a huge amount actually, from its day-to-day running. So on a run, solo I got between 45 - 50mpg and between 32 - 38mpg towing. Urban journeys solo, anything between 35 - 45mpg.

Put into context then, the diesel should be more economical to use for camping trips. It'll be interesting to take another reading after the run to Hereford on Saturday, as the car will be carrying a lot more weight once all my camping gear is stowed., including this new awning I've bought which, whilst being quick erecting is VERY heavy when packed down!
                Cynthia

Comment

As always CyberCynth , there's a price to pay for "nice accessories", cost, space, payload and ..... is it really worth the effort?

There's that classic difference between essential and nice to have. I think an awning like that is both - essential, and worth the cost, payload and effort, when you're camped for maybe 3+ nights but for single/double nights for me it wouldn't be worth the effort.

So actually, you have the best of both worlds - take it or leave it dependant on your itinerary.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X