Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Blumbman;n416358][QUOTE=Voyageuse;n416325]

"Allegedly" happened, as the lawyers would insist on saying

I'm sure people get robbed, but I think the gassing part is an urban myth. It's quite common on campsites in the south of France for tent campers to wake up and find a neat little hole cut in the side of their tent, and their passports and valuables gone. There's never been any suggestion that gas was used. It seems too far fetched to me that robbers would go to the trouble and expense of gassing folks, and risking ending up on murder charges, when they don't need to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33821661
    "... the Royal College of Anaesthetists (RCA) released a statement saying it was highly sceptical about robbers using anaesthetic gas.

"It is the view of the College that it would not be possible to render someone unconscious by blowing ether chloroform, or any of the currently used volatile anaesthetic agents, through the window of a motorhome without their knowledge, even if they were sleeping at the time," the state

i cant even bring myself to reply to this comment..please dont contact me.
    That's my opinion. You don't have to agree with it, but please respect my right to have opinions.
    I've done a fair bit of travelling and talked to a lot of people on my travels, which including full-timing around France for the best part of a year while I checked out different regions and decided where to settle. And I drew my own conclusions from what I heard and experienced. You've had different experiences and drawn different conclusions. It's what we all do, or most of us.
    If everybody thought exactly the same about everything there would be nowt to talk about on forums would there.
    Away with the Fairies

Comment

Someone I knew had a posh car and caravan and stopped at the first supermarche after the ferry. For some reason none of us told this tale could understand the wife had taken all her expensive jewellery with her. They also had a significant amount of cash. They came out of the supermarche to find car and van gone. They were eventually found but minus anything of value. Someone had been using the van and wearing their clothes. Yuck. So it's not just the south of France or at night .

Comment

It is following a thread like this that makes me determined to stick to Club sites! Equally, I am lucky to feel contented enough to stay in my own country. As a solo camper I really wouldn't want to put myself at risk of being robbed, or worse.... I appreciate your warnings Blumbman but I'm hoping I shan't need to heed them! I think the most risk I might be prepared to take this will be to try staying on some of these Brit Stops we've been discussing on a different thread.

Can we all be friends again now, pretty please??
        Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
          It is following a thread like this that makes me determined to stick to Club sites! Equally, I am lucky to feel contented enough to stay in my own country. As a solo camper I really wouldn't want to put myself at risk of being robbed, or worse.... I appreciate your warnings Blumbman but I'm hoping I shan't need to heed them! I think the most risk I might be prepared to take this will be to try staying on some of these Brit Stops we've been discussing on a different thread.

Can we all be friends again now, pretty please??
          Cynthia
          With you all the way on this one, Cynthia. A club site always for me. Preferably with EHU this time of the year! I would rather go away less often and have a bit of comfort and security rather than wilding. We're all different in what we need when camping. Not sure I'd even try a Brit Stop personally, unless I needed to stop en-route to a far flung part of the UK. Even then, I would still try to find a regular campsite, I think. But that's my choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

With you all the way on this one, Cynthia. A club site always for me. Preferably with EHU this time of the year! I would rather go away less often and have a bit of comfort and security rather than wilding. We're all different in what we need when camping. Not sure I'd even try a Brit Stop personally, unless I needed to stop en-route to a far flung part of the UK. Even then, I would still try to find a regular campsite, I think. But that's my choice.
            Yes I think I shall probably stick with the routine I feel safest with jayjay , let the hardy amongst our members do the wild camping, at my age I have grown too accustomed to my creature comforts to change now!
            Cynthia

Comment

Yep - club sites for me too. Apart from anything else, as a solo camper I enjoy wandering round chatting to other like minded folk. I might try a Brit Stop having got the book, but still not sure to be honest.

Comment

Not really been reading this thread but picked up on a couple of things

Firstly would it help if those of us comfortable with Britstops etc start to post about sites we've stayed at, particularly from the point of view of how comfortable we would feel if we were solo campers. I can think of a couple of sites we enjoyed, that lone campers might feel uncomfortable at; one being right in the middle of the Somerset levels and despite being close to Ham Wall RSPB reserve, very isolated, and another in Devon with a very friendly landlord but an open car park that faces onto and has easy access from a mainish road. One the other hand, one site we stayed at on the outskirts of Exeter had a tucked away car park and I'm sure most folks would have felt comfortable (in fact, we took up the landlord's kind offer to leave our van their during the day and take the bus into the city, saving parking fees and the hassle of finding a car park)

I expect to Britstop a bit this year, quite happy to take photos of the locations and write a personal view of how safe I feel they are. Of course, we shouldn't be naming names and location in detail as that goes against the Britstop idea of keeping the sites anonymous if you don't have the book, so the sites would have to have a vague location (as above) and the Britstops ID number of the stop.

Secondly we've travelled a fair bit in Europe in our R20, including Eastern Europe, and although it has been mainly campsites there have been several stops at Aires etc (although, curiously we've not spent a lot of time in France). Personally I feel no more at risk anywhere in Europe than I do in many places here in the UK. I've just asked Liz and her take is that she was uncomfortable when we started because there seemed to be so many scare stories, but the more we travelled the less at risk she felt. We are a bit cautious and wouldn't stay anywhere we thought might be high risk; somewhere isolated where we were the only campers, for example.

Of course our van doesn't look too posh and despite me being a techy we don't travel with computers or anything so there's not a lot to nick (we don't leave credit cards or cash unattended in the van either). And we certainly don't draw attention to ourselves by wearing a lot of bling jewellery or expensive designer clothes and bags - mind you, we don't when here at home either, for the very simple reason we haven't got any!

Comment

There have been one or two differences of opinion on this thread but please let’s not go down the path of arguing and being disrespectful to other people’s opinions.

Probably better to drop the subject of whether gassing in motorhomes happens or not but robbery certainly does happen of that there is no doubt so when wild camping be careful folks.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

we were on our way home from touring and decided on a Brit stop pub. phoned ahead to book. yes plenty of room. duly arrived and connected to the ehu. into the quaint old pub for a flagon of nectar and a meal. looked a really good menu. great , so up to the bar to order, and the reply was. sorry no meals, chefs night off! oh how we laughed.

Comment

BrianTheSnail yes, what a useful idea for us solo campers, thank you. However I wonder what criteria solo campers use to decide whether a stop is going to be more safe than another? Perhaps some people would prefer a remote, isolated Brit Stop to one nearer 'civilisation'?

Frankly, I don't think I've got a lot to fear from potential robbers with my old banger, and if they want to peer in at the windows to evaluate their pickings, they're in for a big disappointment! but I suppose because I tend to be 'risk averse' in life in general, it's still going to take some courage for me to go outside my comfort zone for a night or two beyond the safety barriers of a Club site! On the plus side, quite apart from having an oversensitive car alarm I've got a real-life alarm system too, with Echo's antennae permanently primed!

I topped up my fuel tank yesterday and nearly had a fit at the price: £1.24p per litre for diesel? Yikes, when did that happen?! This Sharan is certainly proving more costly than my little Fabia to run so economics are going to necessitate finding a cheaper way of camping......

Graham Yes! I second your suggestion! I'm sure we're all grateful for any warnings of the possible risks of wild camping, especially as a solo camper but best to leave the recent topic dormant now.
                      Cynthia

Comment

This could be converted for solo microcamping. (as per the thread title) Solo as in ONE. Not one person and their dog. Just the dog.

15BAC6B8-3375-4672-BD35-BCFE9A3BFE70_1_105_c.jpeg
                        Last edited by gasgas; 23-03-2021, 15:03.
                        If you don't travel first class, your children will . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by doog View Post
                          we were on our way home from touring and decided on a Brit stop pub. phoned ahead to book. yes plenty of room. duly arrived and connected to the ehu. into the quaint old pub for a flagon of nectar and a meal. looked a really good menu. great , so up to the bar to order, and the reply was. sorry no meals, chefs night off! oh how we laughed.
                          Back when we had the book, Marymary & I stopped at a Britstop one night. Yes, we were very welcome to stop - but they didn't serve food on a monday. They directed us to a nearby pub where we had a lovely meal, then went back to the original pub for a pint and to stay the night.
                          I've stayed at a couple of Farm Shops, where again I have been welcomed but the cafe has closed before I got there - so I've enjoyed a leisurely breakfast instead.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X