Solo without dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solo without dog

Will be really solo for a bit as I lost my beautiful dog on Saturday. There will be some advantages; not worrying about a hot van, being able to go into all shops and cafes, not finding myself out on the grass with him at 3 am, (he only did this once to me last Autumn because he was getting old).

I will miss his company, the adventures we had, the walks, the fun, but most of all I will miss all the people we met. All those who stopped to admire him - a very handsome greyhound. The doggy chats with other owners - I could go on and on. I will be getting another dog, but not yet. Only another dog owner can understand the pain of losing one and there are plenty of those amongst campers. Even my forum name, Bluebell, was chosen after a wonderful walk amongst the bluebells with him.

Well, onwards and upwards! Looking forward to being on the road again soon. Bluebell.

Sorry to hear about your loss Bluebell, I rarely go camping without my Jazz and when I do (once a year to a festival) I always feel lost without him even though I'm with close friends and family.

As you say, having a dog with you often helps you make new friends.

You will know when the time is right to get a new doggy companion.

Comment

Sorry to hear that,I look forward to seeing you and a new companion soon,just dont get a jack russel,it will run you ragged.How about a nice whippet cross,sweet,docile,lazy.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Bluebell - sorry to hear that you have lost your dog. It is so sad, and as you say only dog owners can really understand. Our FloraDora has been with us for getting on for 12 years and we know that our time together is now limited..... I think she was 90% of the reason we bought a camper van - very expensive kennel on wheels!

Not sure where in the UK you are, but have you ever visited one of the Dogs Trust kennels? They are really excellent, lovely one at Roden in Shropshire.
        Dogs Trust
        Last edited by Vanderella; 09-02-2012, 13:54.
        Mary

Comment

Very sorry to read this news.

I sometimes camp with a bunny but it's also nice to have the freedom to be completely solo...

Comment

Bluebell -

animals are very tying - but then so are some humans ---when you've had pets for a long time they are part of the family and the communication between animals and people can only be understood by those who have experienced it. When you lose them, non-animal people often cannot appreciate the depth of grief you can feel. But while I am really sorry to hear about your loss , try to take advantage of the freedom it gives you.. then sometime.. when you are ready... there will be a re-incarnation of Bluebell

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend having to leave you, Bluebell. When you're ready for it, I'm sure you and another dog will find each other.
              Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
              ... just dont get a jack russel,it will run you ragged.How about a nice whippet cross,sweet,docile,lazy.
              I don't know anything about whippets, but my sister has a short-legged Jack Russell (She calls it a short-arsed one). There's a lot of dachshund there, so she's not as yappy as the usual JR. She couldn't run anything ragged either, her legs are so short, but she's the most entertaining dog she's ever had (compared with 3 Labs, a Lab-cross, or a St Bernard). She's also a good little ratter if you have an allotment, or garden with shed etc.

Comment

Sorry to hear your sad news. It's the time every dog owner dreads. I'm sure you'll know when it's the right time to give a home to a different canine friend.

Thinking of you,

Di.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your commiserations.
                  Reading the post by Vanderella I realise that I also bought my camper van partly as a kennel. I like to be in it too of course but look round any camp-site and every other van has a dog. It's a wonderful way to be able to take one on holiday with you with new walks at every stop.
                  I am practising my smile but I will miss the old boy (he was 12) for quite a while.
                  Bluebell.

Comment

Oh I know how you are feeling right now. ((((hugs)))) Lost my last one a few years ago and swore I wouldn't have another - but here I am with a little 2 years old lurcher x beddlington terrier from the rescue centre! Still miss the last one, we were together for 11 years.

I got to the point (after my last dog passed on) where I could see no reason to get out of bed or even get dressed sone days... I only walked to the shops and life was lonely - hence getting another.

Comment

twin1

Originally posted by Bluebell View Post
                      Will be really solo for a bit as I lost my beautiful dog on Saturday. There will be some advantages; not worrying about a hot van, being able to go into all shops and cafes, not finding myself out on the grass with him at 3 am, (he only did this once to me last Autumn because he was getting old).

I will miss his company, the adventures we had, the walks, the fun, but most of all I will miss all the people we met. All those who stopped to admire him - a very handsome greyhound. The doggy chats with other owners - I could go on and on. I will be getting another dog, but not yet. Only another dog owner can understand the pain of losing one and there are plenty of those amongst campers. Even my forum name, Bluebell, was chosen after a wonderful walk amongst the bluebells with him.

Well, onwards and upwards! Looking forward to being on the road again soon. Bluebell.
                      Know just how you feel,we too had a dog kennel! Adventures many. We went on holiday once without him and could not settle.Turned round and drove back for him.We have after many years not had another dog. Illness prevented it but we too have many memories.

Comment

As a dog owner myself my heart goes out to you. Remember the happy times

Jennie

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                          Sorry to hear that,I look forward to seeing you and a new companion soon,just dont get a jack russel,it will run you ragged.How about a nice whippet cross,sweet,docile,lazy.
                          I am sorry to hear about your loss.... But I also felt that seeing your post, i had to mention a beautiful baby staffie that my sister needs a home for, I have just posted a photo of him on fb. Her son bought him home without asking and now isn't bothered about him... He is called Frankie and has the most beautiful bluey green eyes... I would have him but we have three cats and two whippets...
                          I realise that it is possible a little too early for you to think about another dog... But sometimes things are meant to be x
                          MS.RoMiNi

Comment

Staffie pup

Sobby, I really sympathise about the Staffie pup. This is the third Staffie I have been offered since Christmas when it became obvious to all that I wouldn't have my boy for much longer.
                            Staffies are much maligned due to the cruelty and inbreeding that goes on in some circles. I am not on Facebook but I would urge caution if you are trying to home him there. I support my local dog rescue where two staffies have just been taken in after being used as bait to train others in dog fights. I hope you manage to find a lovely home for him. I am sorry that I can't help. I'm not ready for another dog and too old to take on a pup. Good luck.
                            Bluebell

Comment

I have had three dogs over the years. Not counting the family dogs before I was married. Every one left us with extra heart ache as not one lived its full life.
                              The last was like no other dog I ever met. Found scavenging as a pup and never claimed, we took him in. We were never sure of his "make" and thought he was a lurcher cross between a whippet or greyhound with a german shepherd. He resembled a lightweight german shepherd even to his face markings and he could run like the wind. One day I saw a picture in a newspaper of a soldiier with his double which was identified a belgian shepherd, so I am still unsure.
                              He was the most intelligent animal I have ever met, needing only to be told once if he did wrong and I swear he could spell! One foul day I tried to be clever and asked my wife whether it was fit to go for a W-A-L-K. Wherupon I was nudged at the back of my knees by "Shandy" with his lead in his mouth.

Many times I have considered keeping another dog, but I am afraid I would forever compare him unfavouraby with Shandy.
                              Now my wife is no longer here and my life style has changed with long absences away from home with my motorcycles, keeping a dog would not be fair, but I miss the companionship and cherish so many fond memories,though he had to be put to sleep because of a brain tumour at only seven years old.
                              Jim.
                              Last edited by Twolitre; 11-02-2012, 11:22.
                              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X