Paying for two when there's just one of you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paying for two when there's just one of you

Apologies if this has been discussed before but am doing some planning for my first trip away this year - I have next Sunday off from work next week so want to get away for a few days. I've just noticed how many sites base their prices on two people plus van, whereas there's just one of me and don't see why I should have to pay for Mr (or Ms) No-one. I'm going to see if I can negotiate a reduction but just wondered if anyone else has done this and if it worked.

I've always just paid the fee for a campervan without thinking in the past but see now that many sites assume there will be two of you.

Be interested in others' views. No idea where I'm going yet - any ideas for somewhere scenic and peaceful about 50 miles radius of Leek/Buxton?

Thanks

Jan

Hi

[QUOTE=jan;37211]Apologies if this has been discussed before but am doing some planning for my first trip away this year - I have next Sunday off from work next week so want to get away for a few days. I've just noticed how many sites base their prices on two people plus van, whereas there's just one of me and don't see why I should have to pay for Mr (or Ms) No-one. I'm going to see if I can negotiate a reduction but just wondered if anyone else has done this and if it worked.

I've always just paid the fee for a campervan without thinking in the past but see now that many sites assume there will be two of you.

Be interested in others' views. No idea where I'm going yet - any ideas for somewhere scenic and peaceful about 50 miles radius of Leek/Buxton?

Thanks.

Hi Jan

Yes this has been discussed in depth before,so one of the moderators should be able to point you towards the thread.
    in most places you pay for the pitch,this may include 1 or 2 adults.Certified sites CL`s or CS`s are cheaper than main sites,Temporary Holiday Sites organised by the various District associations are cheaper still.There is a wide choice and this is till a very good value for money pasttime. Enjoy your break.
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 19-02-2012, 19:55.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I'm so sorry Ian, I did search but obviously didn't use the best search terms! Thanks for your ideas. I was put off the clubs in my early days of vanning but think I should rejoin now.

J

Comment

I think the thread below is the last time this topic was discussed although I'm sure there are others.

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=3684
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by jan View Post
          I'm so sorry Ian, I did search but obviously didn't use the best search terms! Thanks for your ideas. I was put off the clubs in my early days of vanning but think I should rejoin now.

J
          Nothing to be sorry about! but I think if you join one of the clubs it will allow you to go to the DA`s THS`s they are highly recommended and there are lots to choose from.
          Happy camping
          Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I'm also a solo-camper, cash-strapped and cost-conscious and rarely use sites. On the few occasions when I do, I object to paying the same as a family of four and have usually managed to negotiate a discount on principle, out of season. It's always worth asking!

CLs tend to offer better value. Again, they're priced per pitch but some will automatically offer reductions when they see a solo camper in a small, fully-equipped van.

Comment

The C&CC club charge per person, that's why I joined.

Comment

Originally posted by jan View Post
                Apologies if this has been discussed before but am doing some planning for my first trip away this year - I have next Sunday off from work next week so want to get away for a few days. I've just noticed how many sites base their prices on two people plus van, whereas there's just one of me and don't see why I should have to pay for Mr (or Ms) No-one. I'm going to see if I can negotiate a reduction but just wondered if anyone else has done this and if it worked.

Thanks

Jan
                Good luck with your negotiations jayjay. Though I am sure you are aware that one of the attractions of the C&CC is that they have a singles rate. It is one of my main reasons for my membership anyway.
                Jim.
                Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Thanks - will rejoin the CCC then, seems like the way to go. Thanks all.

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                    The C&CC club charge per person, that's why I joined.
                    yup its why I try to use c&cc sites all the time. also with their age concession rates thats another bonus at certain times of the year.
                    Regards, Robinjim.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                      yup its why I try to use c&cc sites all the time. also with their age concession rates thats another bonus at certain times of the year.
                      Still waiting for my age concession, but it's coming up fast! Talk about wishing your life away...

Comment

I sometimes get a bit miffed when I'm on a meet or rally and it's a flat rate per unit "Inc. awnings, dogs, children and two adults".

But then I think well, for many years we went as a family with 2 kids 2 dogs and a big awning - so I guess it's payback time.

Also the meet or rally rate is usually no more than I'd have to pay at the site on my own anyway.

I do love C & C C sites - one person and OAP rates means I can get a pitch with EHU for less than a tenner.

I'm just glad they don't use the same criteria as the Govt though or I'd still have another 7 years to wait.

Comment

tent v campervan

Having the tiny R10 I always check on the price if the site also take tents. If cheaper I book for a tent, put up my tiny pop up for wellies etc and dive into my bed in the van at night. :littledevil: Quite new to this but will be joining c&cc. Keep up the good work. It is generally far more expensive living solo!

Comment

I like that idea!

Comment

C and C club

Been reading the latest monthly magazines from the C&C club. They are very good too. I tried to book a site on their web-site yesterday but found it seems to show bookings for 2 as default so ended up ringing which is usually easier anyway. Agree, even though the joining fee goes up to £40 soon for the year, it's very good value for money and the choice of sites, large and small, is brilliant. Plenty going on in their District Associations too. I also belong to the Caravan Club which gives a really wide choice of sites if you go for ones with good facilities as I do. You can soon save on the joining fees if you use them enough especially in low and mid seasons.:so happy:

Comment