• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caz View Post
    I like that idea!
    good idea and one I will certainly be using next year

Comment

Originally posted by peterfowden View Post
      Surely the fairest option for pricing pitches would be the size of pitch required.
      Why should 1/2 people in a "smallmotorhome" pay the same as 1/2 staying in a 6 berth monster. Besides the extra space to park look at the wear and tear such heavy vehicles cause.
      Although the size of the unit is a factor, I think that the number of people is a bigger factor, as in use of club facilities, particularly toilets and showers.
      More people equals more hot water, toilet paper etc, etc.

Comment

caravan club sites

just come across this thread and noticed it's 2 years since I posted, so in all that time I have been away quite often to Caravan club sites ,upon arrival will be asked if I have been B4 unless they recognise me if I go there a lot ,book me in and leave it to me to drive round to find my pitch ,I then go back and give them the number so they can give me a barrier key to get back in If I go out ,the rule of parking next to the peg is for fire safety has there has to be a given amount between each Caravan ,I recently got into a heated debate on their forum about solo travellers getting a membership discount and as you can imagine I got well and truly slated by members for daring to say I would like a discount ,

Comment

I can't see anything wrong with asking for a discount for single-occupancy.

At worst, it can be refused and you can move on or, the more flexible and enterprising may offer a discount and retain your custom.

If you were in a B&B paying a room rate for a double-room with single occupancy, I can't imagine two breakfasts being served in the morning.

Comment

What makes me mad about B&B and hotel holidays is that some places actually charge you MORE because you are on your own! (Single room supplement) Flippin' cheek. Guess why I like caravanning!

Cynthia.

Comment

solo holidays

that's why I got myself a camper cos of the cost of holidays when you are single is a joke ,a cottage is no good either as the cost is for a family .however my camper was off the road 12 months ago and I booked B&Bs that have single rooms one place I went put me in a double room as I have 2 dogs and they thought their single room wasn;t big enough no extra charge so win win

Comment

Originally posted by groovycleaner View Post
                that's why I got myself a camper cos of the cost of holidays when you are single is a joke ,a cottage is no good either as the cost is for a family .however my camper was off the road 12 months ago and I booked B&Bs that have single rooms one place I went put me in a double room as I have 2 dogs and they thought their single room wasn;t big enough no extra charge so win win
                Yes, you can get lucky sometimes! When I went to Norfolk earlier this year I booked into a B&B through booking.com, but there was some confusion about whether I could take the dog. I rang the hotel to clarify things and the proprietor said 'If you cancel your booking with booking.com I will upgrade your room, you can bring the dog and I won't get charged commission - win win!' Brilliant!
                Cynthia.

Comment

I used booking.com ,but you have to watch them sometimes you get a free cancellation and other times you don't but that's where I found single rooms and places that allow dogs ,not been away since new years eve In B&B s ,I booked a place and not get free cancellation so still had to go ,but as my camper was back on the road added a night on at a caravan club site as I was going to Bridlington

Comment

Originally posted by Jill S View Post
                    tent v campervan

Having the tiny R10 I always check on the price if the site also take tents. If cheaper I book for a tent, put up my tiny pop up for wellies etc and dive into my bed in the van at night. :littledevil: Quite new to this but will be joining c&cc. Keep up the good work. It is generally far more expensive living solo!
                    Thanks Jill s, you little rascal! I'd never thought of that. I'm new, but looking forward to finding out as many tips as possible.

Comment

Lets face it camping sites make their money off families etc hiring out those yurts etc in the high season, with jumbo pitches, water on your pitch, all that sort of thing.
                      C&CC charge per person (no use to me!), but often have a min of two night rule .
                      What narks me as im usually the smallest unit on site unless someone has cycled or kyaked, and i hardly use any elecy or water compared to those monster caravans.
                      oh well winge winge.

Comment

Originally posted by llywelyn1984 View Post
                        Lets face it camping sites make their money off families etc hiring out those yurts etc in the high season, with jumbo pitches, water on your pitch, all that sort of thing.
                        C&CC charge per person (no use to me!), but often have a min of two night rule .
                        What narks me as im usually the smallest unit on site unless someone has cycled or kyaked, and i hardly use any elecy or water compared to those monster caravans.
                        oh well winge winge.
                        It narks me as well, Llywelyn. I couldn't possibly use £4 of electricity in a night, just using an electric travel kettle, a small table lamp, and a small fridge set to low. Even if it was cold and I got my tiny oil filled rad and put it on 24/7 I doubt I would use that much. So even paying singleton rates at the C&CC sites, I still get stung on the one-charge-for-all EHU per night fee. I can always do more than two nights though...I rarely go out for less than five and stay pitched up at the same site as I have a caravan.

Comment

Always useful to shop around for sites. I'm not always keen on going to commercial sites but they often charge per person rather than per unit so as long as I'm not going to get charged for 'leccy (I don't use my EHU cable at this time of year) it's often my cheapest option - except sometimes they slap a charge on for the dog! You can't win.... I quite like using the C&CC THSs as they're often quite cheap, although they charge pupn and the cost rises if the organisers have put on some entertainment. Last Christmas my daughter bought me membership of the CMC but I haven't been on any of their sites at all so I don't think I'll be renewing my membership.
                          Cynthia.

Comment

I am a member of both clubs and enjoy their facilities. I find commercial sites a bit hit and miss. I prefer the Camping Club during the summer months as I don't want EHU and they only charge per person so being on my own it is reasonable. Also I get to use my Age Concession which makes it quite cheap, £7 to £11 per night. Sadly the concession does not apply at peak season. With the Caravan Club I prefer to use them in the winter months as EHU is obligatory on almost all its pitches. However they charge for the pitch and person which can be at least £11 per night for low season but you have the advantage of the EHU. Caravan Club don't offer any age concessions but they do have weeknights deals where the pitch price it cheaper.
                            All comes down to horses for courses I suppose, where and when you are travelling but I try to get the best deal whenever possible.

Comment

fenman How long have you been a member of the C&CC? If it's more than 25 years don't forget you can get a further discount in the form of cheaper membership. I think mine went up to £23 this year when I renewed, but I'm pleased with that anyway!
                              Cynthia

Comment

Cynthia, I have been with the CC&C 21 years and the CC nearly 30 years. I wasn't aware that you got a "long service" discount with the CC&C, I will look out for that in the future, probably by then they will have stopped it. I am 63 and convinced that by the time I get my old age pension at 66, bus passes will have been withdrawn. " I'm doomed, doomed I say "
                                Andrew

Comment