First 2012 short break.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First 2012 short break.

I'm booked in to Bobbybee Caravan site, Burton Fleming, near to Bridlington, for the long Easter weekend and am so-oo looking forward to it. It'll be my first holiday this year in the Talbot so I can check everything is still working ok. - That's if I can get the indicators sorted!! The van has it's MOT at the end of March so if I can't get them going the mechanics will do them before they test.

I don't know the east side of the coast very well but believe there are some lovely cliff walks. I'm about 7 miles away from Bridlington which is the reason I've chosen this part of the country as Amy, Ross's partner, has a professional dancing post at one of the holiday camps for the season and I want to see her show.

Ross was coming as well but has been sent to Gibraltar and Turkey by his work, to inspect a couple of their ships in dock in both countries and will be away until the 8th April. Shame!

So if anyone know the area I'd appreciate any info on best places to see etc. I can't wait to get away, especially as the better weather seems to be arriving.

Di.

One of my favourite stretches of coastline. Enjoy.

I'm off to Angelsey today for my first trip , staying at a posh site near Moelfre. The first trip is always a little exciting, yet also takes that extra little bit of effort, I find.

Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Have a lovely time....

My first outing this year and in fact the first proper outing in my Romahome (cant really count a night on the drive!) will be at the Slindon CCC site for Easter, a regular haunt from both caravanning and tenting days. Rosie loves it there as the walks are brilliant

Ann & Rosie

Comment

Hope you have a lovely trip Di. We don't know Bridlington but managed to get to Filey last year. Huge carpark to the south of the town and you can walk for miles from there. Nice old fashioned town.
        Mary

Comment

Bridlington

Hello Di
          There is an old town area to Brid that is worth a visit and Sewerby is a nice little place from which you can walk or ride on a little tractor train into Brid lington along the cliff.
          If you are in posession of a bus pass then Scarborough and Filey are both woryh a visit !
          Have a good time --Im planning a trip up to west coast of Scotland to test some single malts shortly.
          John

Comment

First trip of the year was fairly successful but I really must get to grip with how to use EHU! (But still kept warm thanks to thermal undies, bedsocks, two extra blankets, a quishion and a big glass of wine!) I know - there is an isolator switch that I am supposed to press but the handbook pics relate to an earlier model...er...??!!

Tomorrow's task - to totally unpack the R20 and start again, this time ONLY putting the absolute essentials rather than the 'might needs'. THEN I might have enough room to store clothes as well.

Incidentally, I couldn't have a shower as the showers required tokens only obtainable from the main site two miles down the road. So was about to have a strip wash when I noticed the sign (INSIDE the Ladies' washroom block) telling me about the closed circuit camera!!!!!!!

Comment

Have a lovely trip, Di!

I've only been to Bridlington once but I remember a lovely harbour down one end, lots of parking spaces (but it was out of season!) and a small steamy cafe that was very welcoming!

Originally posted by NomadSue2012 View Post
              First trip of the year was fairly successful but I really must get to grip with how to use EHU! (But still kept warm thanks to thermal undies, bedsocks, two extra blankets, a quishion and a big glass of wine!) I know - there is an isolator switch that I am supposed to press but the handbook pics relate to an earlier model...er...??!!

Tomorrow's task - to totally unpack the R20 and start again, this time ONLY putting the absolute essentials rather than the 'might needs'. THEN I might have enough room to store clothes as well.

Incidentally, I couldn't have a shower as the showers required tokens only obtainable from the main site two miles down the road. So was about to have a strip wash when I noticed the sign (INSIDE the Ladies' washroom block) telling me about the closed circuit camera!!!!!!!
              You should have just asked someone to help, Sue! If it's any help, I plug in the EHU on the outside, then inside, I have a unit with trip switches, and you have to switch these on as well for the electric to get to the plugs and fridge. If it would help I'll post a photo for you. Or someone with a unit like yours could post one, if it's different to mine?

One thing I learned about EHU when I had my first campervan was that it needed a 'man-shove' to connect the EHU to the van outside and I wasnt pushing it in far enough for it to connect. You have to make sure that the two ends are pushed in securely, meet in the middle - and the flip top connects over the top of the two, if that makes any sense. Can you try it on your drive before your next trip?

I've been carrying 'might needs' about for years. I have actually needed them sometimes and was glad I had packed them!! Especially the hot water bottle - never travel without one.

Showers - well that token bit couldn't have made it harder, could it? I would have taken a washing-up bowl of water into a toilet compartment, put it on the closed seat and had a wash in there, or in my van.
              Last edited by jayjay; 19-03-2012, 10:08.

Comment

my in laws live in burton fleming and we will visit at easter too we go to wold farm Flamborough near Bempton cliffs
                Places to go away from the crowds Hunmanby gap
                filey early to park and flamborough park near lighthouse
                Go see filey brigg, park on country park on cliff tops for the day.......... its fab, easy walk into town too

Comment

fab place

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                  I'm booked in to Bobbybee Caravan site, Burton Fleming, near to Bridlington, for the long Easter weekend and am so-oo looking forward to it. It'll be my first holiday this year in the Talbot so I can check everything is still working ok. - That's if I can get the indicators sorted!! The van has it's MOT at the end of March so if I can't get them going the mechanics will do them before they test.

I don't know the east side of the coast very well but believe there are some lovely cliff walks. I'm about 7 miles away from Bridlington which is the reason I've chosen this part of the country as Amy, Ross's partner, has a professional dancing post at one of the holiday camps for the season and I want to see her show.

Ross was coming as well but has been sent to Gibraltar and Turkey by his work, to inspect a couple of their ships in dock in both countries and will be away until the 8th April. Shame!

So if anyone know the area I'd appreciate any info on best places to see etc. I can't wait to get away, especially as the better weather seems to be arriving.

Di.
                  This is a lovely area with wonderful cliff top walks at Flamborough Head and along the Brig as mentioned by satchmo_shaz. I'm at Norfolk over Easter otherwise might have been around Filey myself!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                    Have a lovely trip, Di!
                    You should have just asked someone to help, Sue! If it's any help, I plug in the EHU on the outside, then inside, I have a unit with trip switches, and you have to switch these on as well for the electric to get to the plugs and fridge. If it would help I'll post a photo for you. Or someone with a unit like yours could post one, if it's different to mine?

One thing I learned about EHU when I had my first campervan was that it needed a 'man-shove' to connect the EHU to the van outside and I wasnt pushing it in far enough for it to connect. You have to make sure that the two ends are pushed in securely, meet in the middle - and the flip top connects over the top of the two, if that makes any sense. Can you try it on your drive before your next trip?
                    ---------------------------------
                    Thank you, Jayjay. Am hoping there will be a genius who can calmly talk me through the switches (in idiots' language) when at the meet in Norfolk over EASTER...Will make sure those cupboards are especially tidy and junk-free!

Last edited by NomadSue; 28-03-2012, 18:14.

Comment

satchmo_shaz mentioned Bempton Cliffs, but not what a good place it is to visit. If you're into bird watching make sure to call there and take your binoculars!

Comment

As mentioned, Flamborough is well worth a visit. There is a nature reserve nearby called Danes Dyke which has its own car park and features a walk which takes in the cliffs, the lighthouse and Flamborough village

http://www.danesdyke.com/

Peter

Comment

A fantastic part of the world, you couldn't pick better. (I am biased because my family comes from that area and i have an auntie who lives in BF). Filey has to be about the nicest seaside town there is. Try to find what used to be Brown's Fish and Chip restaurant if it is still there. You will be able to buy shellfish from the stalls at the top of the Coble Landing (yes that is the right spelling cobles are the local inshore fishing boats and if they are not out then they will be lined up further down the landing, though their numbers are dwindling). The only draw back to the Landing is that it is the only place where Filey resembles other seaside resorts, it is where the amusements are.

Enjoy your stay.

We have had a night away in the lakes this week but we are not away again until after Easter when we have a 2 weeki trip to Holland planned.

Peter

Comment

Thanks for all the info, folk. Since deciding to go and talking about it locally I've been amazed at how many neighbours have been to Bridlington and say what a great place it is. Mind you, up here, I suppose it's quite close.

When I was growing up in Birmingham, Weston Super Mare was our nearest seaside town.[If you can call it seaside, you have to be lucky to catch sight of the sea]My Great Aunt Lil lived there so we used to visit a couple of times a year. Now she was a feisty woman; you could drive a bus through her bow legs but she was a gem!

I shall be taking binoculars so will be sure to go to some of the places suggested to see the birdies. Am keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't turn too cold as forcasted but as long as it's not too wet I shan't mind.

Di.

Comment

Flamborough Head and Bempton Cliffs for the birdies

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X