Announcement

Collapse

Keep it friendly folks

We are noticing an increased amount of posts that are in danger of generating a “flame fest” that is an argument between two or more members.

Please can we all be respectful to each other and stop making nasty comments and jibes, any posts that admin and moderators consider to be inflammatory will be deleted without warning or comment.
See more
See less

First try out as a solo camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First try out as a solo camper

First try out as a ‘solo camper’

The van has been sat on the drive for 2 ½ years due to my ill health (and the loss of my wife in August). So off I went to Lytham and Blackpool area which is only 40 odd miles from home and set up on a commercial campsite to see how it goes.

The experience after 35 years of camping with den was ‘interesting’ and showed some of the changes I need to make. On the morning I set off suddenly realised I should have looked at the map (den was navigator).

All in all the 5 days away were enjoyable and it was good to get away. Hopefully I can get away for a few days next month and already starting to think about were, maybe somewhere that I have never been before to practice my map reading and to finally sort out this new-fangled sat-nav thingy.

So if you see someone sat outside a van in an off white (ok pinkish) shirt (must read the washing machine instructions) come and say hello it could be me.

colin

Well done Colin
    Big learning curve, new chapter in life, I'll look out for that pretty pink shirt and gladly come and chat, as will many other people. Come along to one of the MEETS you will meet many friendly people. A new way of life begins !!

Comment

As sidick said - congratulations on getting out there and giving it a go! There are lots of solo campers on here. I enjoy a mix of camping solo for short periods and going off with a few friends to the fun of a big meet. The world is your oyster and I really hope you can enjoy some of it given your recent very difficult times. You will find only support and kindness in this place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Comment

I couldn't have said it better myself, Lizzie and Siddick!

Enjoy yourself, life is short!

If you need any help with anything, you only have to ask! Welcome to the forum!

Comment

Well done for getting away, hopefully it will become easier each time. Campers are a friendly lot generally, I'm sure you will always find people to chat with and of course you will get to see places you may not otherwise have visited without your van. Good luck and enjoy yourself

Comment

You've taken the first important step and it must have been difficult for you so well done, as others have said you will find lots of friendship on here and amongst campers in general.

Happy camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi! That first step has happened, I wish you well as you find your way,

Bunchy

Comment

Colin - no doubt it will take time to get used to things on your own - but your wife may be up there somewhere laughing at your navigation errors but wishing you enjoyment in your camping. I am sure you will make lots of new friends. Good luck

Comment

thanks for all the messages of support. Have decided to try another week away in june as said small steps.
                  Would like to come to some of the forum meets but as most are some distance away may be some time before fit enough for a longer journey, still another goal for my list.

Comment

Speaking from personal experience, getting up the courage to go off on my own in the van was the very best thing I could have done - but I couldn't have managed it without my best pal, the SatNav! Having now met a lot of the lovely people from this Forum, joining it was the second best thing I have done. Enjoy your van, Colin.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X