This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pop up tents

I watched a group of people fighting to fold up one of those self erecting tents when I was at the Roma rally.
    What a faff,you need to be an octopus,and farly strong,or am I missing something?

Why have all modern tents just got one skin,I had a down to ground fly sheet with mine,that took most of the rain and the actual tent took very little,result,dry in heavy rain.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Yes a faff would be about right. I had one once, my son 'borrowed' it and it wasn't worth returning.... but he said it wasn't much use as a tent, a lot of condensation inside overnight.

It was a wrestling match with it, although that got easier with practice!

I also think tents are better with fly sheets, but I don't think they make them like that anymore.

Comment

A friend of mine has a new two man tent with an integral fly sheet. If that's not a contradiction. Anyway the "fly sheet" shares the same roof ridge seam, but splays out clear of the tent roof. Seems to serve in the conventional way.
      Don't know the make though.
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
        I watched a group of people fighting to fold up one of those self erecting tents when I was at the Roma rally.
        What a faff,you need to be an octopus,and farly strong,or am I missing something?

Why have all modern tents just got one skin,I had a down to ground fly sheet with mine,that took most of the rain and the actual tent took very little,result,dry in heavy rain.
        You didn't see me put up or take down ours then!! About 30 seconds to erect and peg out, and not much more to fold up and put away - about 2 minutes at most

It's a one person Quechua which does have an inner, and is great to store our chairs and table etc overnight or when it rains. Also serves if we fall out We should have a pop up tent folding competition at one of the rallies

Comment

It is a knack. Once you kn how how fine...

When I went to buy the tent I insisted on being taught before buying at decathlon until I could do it without help.

On the third attempt I got it... It actually is fine... can highly recommend them.

Comment

I love my Quechua base seconds! Watched the video and then ran into the garden to practise packing it away!

I also have the bedroom inner tent in case youngest son wants to sleep in it.

Comment

There's a knack to folding them up, I soon learnt the knack with my Base Seconds which was a big one.

I'm just annoyed that mine was a duff one that came apart and they couldn't replace it as they don't make them anymore. It was brill as a stand alone awning that didn't have to be connected to the van, as the porch thingy provided shelter when stepping from the van into it. No faffing about when driving off site and back again, simples.

It was very waterproof even though it was only single skin, as Yorkshire Lass says you can buy a separate inner tent if you want to use it for sleeping.

Nowadays tents tend to have a non-waterproof inner and a waterproof outer, rather than the old tents which were waterproof and had a waterproof flysheet as well. I think maybe it's because they are synthetic now rather than the old proper canvas ones.

It's only the cheap ones that are single skin.

Comment

We have a couple - one we used with the Bambi - a small utilty tent - and a large marquee which we use for car shows. Yes there is a knack, but with the regulars in attendance, they are well ordered and the whole thing is up/or packed in around 5 minutes.
                Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X