Don't pitch your tent under trees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't pitch your tent under trees

When I was young - many years ago, in the 1950s and 60s, I used to go tent camping. DoE awards, Outward Bound School etc taught us a lot - one piece of advice was never pitch the tent under trees.
    It does not give shelter -
    if it rains, water will fall from the trees for hours after it has stopped raining.
    If there is thunder and lightening being under a tree increases the likelyhood of a lightening strike!
    If the wind gets up things will fall on the tent and may cause damage.
    We were never warned it could be fatal - but it can be and it was for this camper

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-45180873

Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
    When I was young - many years ago, in the 1950s and 60s, I used to go tent camping. DoE awards, Outward Bound School etc taught us a lot - one piece of advice was never pitch the tent under trees.
    It does not give shelter -
    if it rains, water will fall from the trees for hours after it has stopped raining.
    If there is thunder and lightening being under a tree increases the likelyhood of a lightening strike!
    If the wind gets up things will fall on the tent and may cause damage.
    We were never warned it could be fatal - but it can be and it was for this camper

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-45180873

Jon
    Sound advice Kernowjon,

Comment

An update - Evidently the tent was some sort of "Treehouse Tent" designed to be hoisted up the tree - 2 adults plus one child and the tree fell down on top of the tent - one person dead and the other adult in hospital - the child at the least is traumatised - very bravely he ran to the road and flagged a car down and got help!
      Jon

Comment

What an awful thing to happen.

Comment

A terrible tragedy, I can imagine they excitedly looked forward to this adventure holiday and it’s ended in disaster. Something those that are left will never get over.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I found one of these tents (on ebay where else) it had ratchet straps to go between trees to tension them - IMHO - a disasterous idea especially at the moment - the parched ground is cracking trees falling over by themselves without the added strain of ratchet straps pulling on them. The seller instruction #1 was "check firmness of tree". But who can tell the condition of the root system etc. It is very sad.
            Jon

Comment

I worked in The Netherlands for a year and returned home at weekends. I bought a big caravan to live in and pitched it at a camp site for the duration. The pitch was one of those wonderful European ones big enough for a 17ft caravan, its 17ft awning, and two cars next to it, all enclosed by a hedge. The pitch had its own electric supply, TV aerial supply, tap and drain. You plumbed your caravan into them all. There were tall trees everywhere. One monday I returned to find that over the weekend a thick tree branch had snapped off and missed the caravan by inches. The site was littered with broken trees. What had happened was that a heavy snowfall had landed on the trees with no wind. Then there was a partial thaw followed immediately by a frost which left huge icicles on the branches. Then there was another heavy snowfall and the weight was too much for the healthy trees and they lost a lot of their branches. Some caravans were crushed but luckily mine was just missed. The site owners had tree surgeons in cutting up the fallen branches, which were up to 300mm thick at their stems which had snapped. I have a photo somewhere but it was before the days of digital cameras.
              suivez l'aventure

Comment

My 1st camping weekend trip out in my Duo end of last Sept was a lesson to be learnt.
                I have been tenting for a number of years, so am well aware of the hazards of pitching under tree's.

This particular site at Coleford in the Forest of Dean I have been to before when tenting but since my last visit they have changed the layout with new facilities.
                It had been a bit wet and the entrance to the main pitches was very muddy, no way was I going to get the Duo through it.

That left a small area next to some seasonal pitches under some tree's which was fine until it rained in the night.
                The noise on the roof was horrendous, even after the rain stopped it still continued for ages. Got very little sleep that night.
                So I will not be parking under any tree's again.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X