New tent - Sunncamp Ranch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tent - Sunncamp Ranch.

In another thread we have been reminscing and recounting our camping history. My camping history isn't terribly interesting, to be honest, because I didn't properly go camping until I was in my teens and then I jumped in and out of camping until about 2015 when it became a proper hobby.

However, in the late 1990's I spent an absolute fortune on a Sunncamp frame tent, brand new, from W M Camping near Canterbury. £329 it was, a lot of money back then. I absolutely adored that tent, I looked after it like it was delicate china, I cleaned it regularly, aired it and generally loved it. Then I went for a holiday somewhere with the then girlfriend and it rained all week. It proper poured down, particularly the last few days. So I loaded up the car with sodden tent, sodden girlfriend and sodden everything.

When we returned home, the weather was still raining so I left the tent in the covered back yard of me parent's house until the following evening. Sure enough, on the Monday evening, just as I had the soggy tent bag in my hand, I was called in to answer the alarms at work and I remember being there all evening. Somehow and to this day I don't know how, the next day the tent got forgotten and it must have been 2 weeks or so later when my old man said 'did you put that tent up, son?' I was mortified! That weekend, we whipped the still sodden tent out and put it up in the garden, but the dreaded black mould had got in to it. We tried everything to clean it (no internet back then), but it was ruined.

I was heartbroken. Anyway, about a year later I got hold the Conway Folding Camper, which I loved as much. But I never forgot that Sunncamp frame tent.

I have looked out for it now and again on eBay but I couldn't remember the model name so I had failed to find one.

Until today! It's a Sunncamp Ranch. I've been looking out for a Sunncamp Range! Doh!
    I've found one on Gumtree which I think is a good'un, so I've bought it! I don't need it and I haven't got room for it, but I've bought it anyway. Pick it up next weekend.

I have to admit that my little heart skipped a beat when I saw it.

It's a vis-a-vis tent. This means that the habitation parts of the tent face each other, with space in between. As you enter the tent, there are 2 inner tents, one each side and the area directly inside the door is useable area There is a little sticky out bit at the back of the tent for a kitched unit or table.

Proper made up, I am! £45 for a bit of my history.

Piccies below, from the advert. Click on them and they'll get bigger.

Sunncamp Ranch.pngSunncamp Ranch2.png

And the only picture I have of the original. Taken from an article in the C+CC magazine I starred in some years ago, so apologies for the quality, it's a scan from a magazine.

Magazine.JPG

Panda
    Last edited by Pandabloke; 28-06-2020, 21:07.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/pandabloke

Pandabloke Looks like you got a bargain there, especially as it looks in good nick!
    Too old to know everything!

Comment

Thanks Jim. The other piccies in the advert seem to confirm the condition, but they don't show anything that is worth looking at, really. Fingers crossed!

Panda

Comment

Blimey, I don't think the Tent section of the forum has seen this much action in years!

Nice looking Tent Panda and a very good price. I watch a lot of canvas tents on eBay (just for the fun of it of course) and I've seen a few of these sell for a lot more.

You're on the slippery slope now my friend, buying tents you don't need, don't have space for and will probably never use just because they are pretty!
        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
          Blimey, I don't think the Tent section of the forum has seen this much action in years!

Nice looking Tent Panda and a very good price. I watch a lot of canvas tents on eBay (just for the fun of it of course) and I've seen a few of these sell for a lot more.

You're on the slippery slope now my friend, buying tents you don't need, don't have space for and will probably never use just because they are pretty!
          Hi Rob,

This all, started because I put the retro C15 awning up at work. My boss said she has an old canvas VW awning she wants me to erect. Then my other caretaker said he had a 7 berth Cabanon he wants to bring in and put up. We got to discussing canvas tents and it went from there, really. I mentioned the Sunncamp, took some time this weekend to find out what is actually called and blow me, I found one!

I now have the Conway, Hettie, this Ranch, a Vango Blade backpacking tent and 2 C15 Romahome Harrison awnings.

I do like the Sunncamp Gite that was around at the same time as Ranch, too and there's a few for sale at the moment......

Panda

Comment

Kevin, Pandabloke, what are you like?!

However, I love your enthusiasm young man, it always makes me smile. Anyway, love your tent! Wasn't there one similar to that on ebay earlier on? I'm not sure of the make but the double front window is ringing bells. Just been back to check: The double-fronted window little tent I was thinking of was a Cabonon. However I did see this funny little Raclet tent for sale, with exterior poles, but not your twangy whips, proper job metal ones. It looks like a pram hood. At £30 I might have been tempted to go and have a look as it's only up in Bristol.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raclet-Qu...cAAOSwqjxe9yRg

Oh, and Rob B :

".....buying tents you don't need, don't have space for and will probably never use just because they are pretty!"

That went through my mind when I was reading your post about the nearly-a-trailer-tent you were enthusing about elsewhere! I'm not going to be sexist and talk about boys toys, as I have been known to have the same inclination to buy things I don't actually need and will probably never use!

Yes, I agree, too, it's nice to see some activity on this thread.
            ​​​​​​​Cynthia

Comment

[QUOTE

However I did see this funny little Raclet tent for sale, with exterior poles, but not your twangy whips, proper job metal ones. It looks like a pram hood. At £30 I might have been tempted to go and have a look as it's only up in Bristol.....

Cynthia[/QUOTE]

Hi Cynthia, now that is proper nice too! Go on, treat yourself! Me and Rob are right behind you!

Panda ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                Kevin, Pandabloke, what are you like?!

However, I love your enthusiasm young man, it always makes me smile. Anyway, love your tent! Wasn't there one similar to that on ebay earlier on? I'm not sure of the make but the double front window is ringing bells. Just been back to check: The double-fronted window little tent I was thinking of was a Cabonon. However I did see this funny little Raclet tent for sale, with exterior poles, but not your twangy whips, proper job metal ones. It looks like a pram hood. At £30 I might have been tempted to go and have a look as it's only up in Bristol.....

Oh, and Rob B :

".....buying tents you don't need, don't have space for and will probably never use just because they are pretty!"

That went through my mind when I was reading your post about the nearly-a-trailer-tent you were enthusing about elsewhere! I'm not going to be sexist and talk about boys toys, as I have been known to have the same inclination to buy things I don't actually need and will probably never use!

Yes, I agree, too, it's nice to see some activity on this thread.
                Cynthia
                Cheek! We have every intention of using the trailer!

Comment

Rob B Not being rude, honestly, just smiling about your micky-take of Kevin! I do love to see people buying pre-owned items rather than falling into the consumerism trap of forever buying new stuff.

Pandabloke The only thing that puts me off having a look at that Raclet tent is the mention of it being heavy - but it is seriously cute, and looks as though it might be fairly quick to set up. What if I could set it it up against the front of the Caranex? It would look funny but would save me the cost of the extension, which although I'm still waiting for the estimate, I guess could add a nought to the cost of the little Raclet.... A Racletanex. Now there's an image to conjure with! It all helps me save up for my home improvements. The sensible option I suppose is to not have any holidays at all for a couple of years. Whoa, imagination, that's a sacrifice too far.
                  Cynthia

Comment

Just been back on ebay: I see there's another of those Raclet Quick Tents come up for auction, with a start price of £50.00 just a different colour, and interestingly the seller says it's a 70s vintage. The turquoise one is said to be a 1990s model and I noticed the description reads: 'water ingress is normal around the pole insets' Really?! He claims the canvas itself is waterproof.

The reason I threw away my original Caranex is that I'd not dried it out properly before packing it away. The next time I used it, despite giving it a good coat of aerosol waterproofer I still got wet in the tent when it rained! The guy from Caranex, when I rang them about it said once mould gets into the fabric it becomes impossible to reproof. Being a cynic I wasn't sure at the time whether he was telling me that because he wanted to sell me a new one! However, reading Pandabloke 's tale of woe about his tent that suffered mould damage, I have to assume that applies to all tent fabrics? So how do you tell if a pre-owned tent is still viable, short of tipping a bucket of water over it? (Which may possibly cause offence....) It's a question that puts me off paying much for a used tent.

Sorry Kevin, I've hijacked your lovely positive Sunncamp thread!
                    Cynthia
                    Last edited by CyberCynth; 29-06-2020, 08:22. Reason: Added an afterthought.

Comment

Just done a nearly 400 mile round trip to collect the tent from Dorset today. Roads were empty!

According to the very nice retired chap I bought it from, it has never been used in anger, as far as he knows. He bought it for his son who never used it and it has spent its entire life in various garages, lofts and sheds!

I shall erect it tomorrow and see what I have bought! However, pleased so far.

Panda

Comment

As long as the mice haven't been at it should be grand 👍

Comment

I had a good feeling once I talked to the old fella, so fingers crossed.

Panda

Comment

Ha ha!

Got the tent up in a big hall at work (it is handy being a key holder....).

Fabulous condition! The canvas is like new, hoorah! Inner sleeping compartments don't look like they've been slept in. Very pleased indeed.

If I'm really, really critical, a couple of the pole spring connectors have given up, but I've got some spares at home. 1 rubber holding an inner tent up has perished (I've got some spares at home) and the curtains for the front windows are missing. Also I've only got half the pegs, but as I always replace with enough rock pegs anyway, that isn't an issue.

However, I have got a free rubber mallet! Hooray!

All in all, I'm absolutely over the moon with it. My brother is prettey handy with a sewing machine so I'll buy some material off the market and let him whip something up for me, curtain wise. The are simple rectangular windows, as you can see below. All I need if the plastic 'C' channel camping curtain track that just snaps over the track in the windows and I've no doubt that is available online.

It's blooming marvellous, what a lucky chap I am.

Cost me about £40 in desel to pick it up, £45 for the tent, Rockpegs will be about £15 for 50 on Amazon. I have the pole springs and replacement rubber and A bit of material will be about a tenner I expect.

All in all, for just over £100, I have a fabulous, virtually as new frame tent, which holds great sentimental value for me, as well.

Chuffed to bits!

See numerous pics below. Click on the pic to make them larger.

IMG_3584.JPGIMG_3587.JPGIMG_3586.JPGIMG_3583.JPGIMG_3577.JPGIMG_3580.JPGIMG_3581.JPGIMG_3578.JPG

Panda

Comment

That is a thing of beauty Pandabloke
                              i am very jealous and I want first refusal on it should you ever decide to part with it.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X