This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Outwell Oregon 5

Much as I love our folding camper I will always be a tenter first and foremost.

We have been using an Outwell Oregon 5 since 2009 and its probably the best tent I've ever had - although I still have a softspot for my old Lichfield canvas ridge tent, long since gone but never forgotten.

For years i had been camping in a variety of lightweight backpacking tents but then I found myself a girlfriend (now wife) and she had a dog who of course had to come with us as well so backpacking went out the window. A bigger tent was required but i still wanted something reasonably compact, lightweight and easy to pitch and thats exactly what the Oregon provides.

First off it pitches all as one so you dont have to worry about the inner getting wet if pitching in the rain and those pre-shaped poles and short pole sleeves make pitching an absolute doddle. We did find though that the pitching instruction werent much use, we find it easier to thread the rear-most pole through first and use the guy line to support it, then work our way to the front of the tent in the same manner before finishing the pegging out. By this method we can have the tent up in about 10-15 minutes in decent weather.

What you end up with is a tent that is spacious for a couple or a small family. Headroom is decent throughout and with a good sized living space. This tent could sleep 4 adults with relative ease, however the 2 occupants of the smaller inner tent section would have to be quite good friends! Best to think of it as a generous 3 man or 2 adults and 2 children. if only 2 berths are required then the smaller inner tent can be zipped out to create extra living space although we find it useful to keep it in to store our clothes and bags. The neat sewn in storage pockets on the front of the tent provide useful space for keys, torches, dog lead etc.

The big front door can be used as a sun canopy if you buy additional poles and you also have the choice of 2 side doors meaning you can move your entrance around to suit the weather.

This is an ideal long-weekend tent or tourer as its so easy to put up and down and the relatively small pack size and weight but it is capable of use on longer stays. In our first year with it we spent 10 days in the New Forest and it coped admirably and stood up well to strong winds. It can be difficult to cook inside the tent as there is no vented window but i have found that i can sit inside the door of the tent with the stove just outside in all but the worst weather. I have also cooked under the poled out sun canopy with a windbreak erected around the front of the tent to shield the stove.

The tent isnt totally flawless. The inner tents have single doors with a mesh panel at the top - i would prefer a double door arrangement to enable better ventilation but it does work well enough. The doors and window covers have to be held back by fiddly toggles - a stuff pocket would be more convenient.

But these are minor gripes for what is a light, airy and impeccably well made tent. After countless uses it hasnt faded or frayed and we have never had a leak.

I cannot recommend it highly enough
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rob B; 13-06-2012, 12:52.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!