As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tent advice

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tent advice

I've been thinking, that seeing as I've got all, or the majority of the basics for camping, that I really should get off my butt and start using it more...

Therefore, I'd much rather prefer a bigger tent, probably max 2 man tent, it's only going to be me camping, one that can be put up by one person, porch area to store my camping fridge and for cooking etc, and course, standing room in the porch area.

Any of you good peeps got any suggestions...?, probably not looking to spend no more than £120 max, which probably makes it more difficult.

Ta muchly in advance...

When you say standing room - how tall are you? Most 2 & 3 berth tents are quite low.

I bought this one a couple of moths ago, can put it up on my own:

http://www.outdoorworlddirect.co.uk/...nder-tent.html

Outdoor World were the best price I found on the net. This week's deal is free carpet, the week I bought it I got a free footprint but it was under £100.

However, I'm only 155 cms tall.

If you are taller then you may be better looking at a 4 berth as they are bigger. However, a budget of £120 really limits what's available. The major manufacturers haven't anything this big at that price level.

There are some bargains to be had on Tesco, Halfords etc, or you could go for a cheapie off e-bay.

Comment

What's 155cm in ft...

I'm about 5ft 6". Not looked at 4 berth tent, I'll go take a lookie....

Comment

Any tent that has standing room in the living area is going to be difficult to put up by yourself, by nature of having that much headroom the poles will be long and fiddly.

However, I believe I have the solution, Coleman make a tent called the Instant 4, it uses a quick erect system, essentially the poles stay permanently attached to the canvas and it goes up a bit like opening an umbrella so should be manageable by one person and it just about sneaks in budget at £125 when discounted by some retailers. Coleman are a good brand so the tent should be good quality.

http://shop.highbridgecaravans.co.uk...ourer-4/p21711

I've used High Bridge a few times and they are very good.
        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Cheers for the replies so far peeps. Much appreciated....

Comment

twin1

Originally posted by Huff View Post
            Any tent that has standing room in the living area is going to be difficult to put up by yourself, by nature of having that much headroom the poles will be long and fiddly.

However, I believe I have the solution, Coleman make a tent called the Instant 4, it uses a quick erect system, essentially the poles stay permanently attached to the canvas and it goes up a bit like opening an umbrella so should be manageable by one person and it just about sneaks in budget at £125 when discounted by some retailers. Coleman are a good brand so the tent should be good quality.

http://shop.highbridgecaravans.co.uk...ourer-4/p21711

I've used High Bridge a few times and they are very good.
            Just had a look at it,not camping but looks very good.Like the coleman brand too.

Comment

OK, you're about 168 cms tall so wouldn't be able to stand up in my tent which is only 165 cms.

The Coleman Instant 4 is one room only which is why I didn't consider it. There is a larger version which has 2 rooms but I seriously doubted my ability to pitch it on my own.

Most 4 berth tunnels can be pitched by one person, and if you choose one with steel side poles then you won't be threading great long flexi poles through. These are heavy, I looked at a couple and could barely lift the bags so didn't fancy humping them in and out of the car. But then I'm only a weak little old lady.

Argos have the Gelert Saturn 4 on offer at half price £99.99:

It's probably bigger than you wanted, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                OK, you're about 168 cms tall so wouldn't be able to stand up in my tent which is only 165 cms.

The Coleman Instant 4 is one room only which is why I didn't consider it. There is a larger version which has 2 rooms but I seriously doubted my ability to pitch it on my own.

Most 4 berth tunnels can be pitched by one person, and if you choose one with steel side poles then you won't be threading great long flexi poles through. These are heavy, I looked at a couple and could barely lift the bags so didn't fancy humping them in and out of the car. But then I'm only a weak little old lady.

Argos have the Gelert Saturn 4 on offer at half price £99.99:

It's probably bigger than you wanted, though.
                True, it is only one room, but for one person that still lives plenty of room for gear.

Decathlon have a 4 man pop up tent on sale at the moment, down to £99.99 from £180. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/seconds-f...d_8171126.html

Should just about have standing room, seconds to pitch and easy on your own. Packing them away again is tricky at first but once you have got the knack it becomes fairly easy.

Comment

Had forgotten about the Quecha, I did seriously consider that one when I was looking. Reckon it would be very tight head-clearance wise for Neilos though. It's only 170 cms at highest point, and as Neilos is 168 cms ..........

I suppose it depends on whether you want to stand up straight or are prepared to slouch a bit.

Comment

Had forgotten about the Quecha, I did seriously consider that one when I was looking. Reckon it would be very tight head-clearance wise for Neilos though. It's only 170 cms at highest point, and as Neilos is 168 cms ..........

I suppose it depends on whether you want to stand up straight or are prepared to slouch a bit.
                    This is true but then how much time do you really spend standing in a tent? Once you are dressed you are probably going to be laying down or sitting.

The other option is to pick up a secondhand trailer tent on ebay if you dont mind towing. Something like a combi-camp is ideal for one person as all you do is flip over the lid of the trailer - which then becomes the floor and takes the tent with it, no assembly required and you then have a large, sturdy canvas tent with full standing room and a proper bed (in the trailer section) that is up off the floor, keeping you warmer and drier. Old ones often sell on ebay for less than £200.

Comment

I've had two old Combi-Camps, loved them, but sadly found them too much to handle on my own.

Comment

Been looking at that one. Quite like the idea, take it out the bag, up it pops. Seen a pic in a other forum with one fully kitted out with camping gear, and it looks quite perfect for what I'm looking for.

The search goes on....

Comment

Do let us know what you end up with!

Comment

Originally posted by neilos View Post
                            Been looking at that one. Quite like the idea, take it out the bag, up it pops. Seen a pic in a other forum with one fully kitted out with camping gear, and it looks quite perfect for what I'm looking for.

The search goes on....
                            They are good. Unlike most pop ups they dont leap out of the bag taking your face off in the process. They go up with an altogether more sedate spring which is good for keeping your extremities where they are meant to be and also for the longevity of the tent.

The only trouble is getting them back in the bag again afterwards, there is a knack to it, which once learned makes it easy, but does take practise.

There is a Decathlon store in Stockport where you could go and see one "in the flesh"

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X