This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate ebay at times.........

We are looking for a trailer tent at the moment, so have been scouring ebay and other sites for the last couple of weeks. We have seen a few that would suit our needs but weren't like "the one" if you know what I mean, even put tentative bids on a few on ebay but haven't wanted to bid a lot of money as none of them were exactly what we were after. Thought I had won one on the cheap, an old Conway but it was well cared for but got outbid by a £1 in the last few seconds - very annoying. Lost out on one or two others by bigger margins but I wasn't willing to go any higher.

Now though we have seen one that we believe would suit us down to the ground, it ticks all our boxes and even comes with lots of extras thrown in. We have put a substantial bid on it and are winning it currently but now face the nervous wait until it runs out tonight..............
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Hi

Fingers crossed for you.

Gail

Comment

I never bid on things until the last minute. I will put a small bid on something I want, just to keep an eye on it, but I'm there, placing my last and highest bid in the last 30 seconds as the clock is counting down to zero! I even put an alarm on my mobile to let me know it's time I got to the computer! That's probably why you were outbid by a £ on the last one (not me!) but most people don't put a final bid on until the last 30 seconds... you need to be logged in, online and have a good BB speed to do this.

Try it, put a large bid on (the absolute most you would be prepared to pay) in the last 30 seconds. Type the figure into the box, wait until there are 30 seconds to go, hit the bid button and then the confirm button and see what happens. Then you will be the one who pipped someone else to the post for just a few extra pounds! I also put in an odd amount, never multiples of 5 or ten, but something like, for eg. £69.75!

All you do by placing a good bid days before is invite others to outbid you really - and push the price up.

Comment

I never do that Jay Jay, perhaps I should but I just don't like the idea of it. When I see something I like I enter the maximum bid I want to spend on it then sit and wait. If I win it then great, if not then never mind.

The one I lost out on by a £1, it was still a £1 over the maximum I was willing to pay and Just because they won by a £1 doesn't mean they hadnt put more on it. I could have bid again but still been outbid by them. I think doing it that way is how you get suckered in to bidding more than you can afford.

Aside from anything else I don't trust my broadband to be fast enough to enter a bid so late on and a lot of people use this awful software that bids for them faster than I ever could.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
          I never do that Jay Jay, perhaps I should but I just don't like the idea of it. When I see something I like I enter the maximum bid I want to spend on it then sit and wait. If I win it then great, if not then never mind.

The one I lost out on by a £1, it was still a £1 over the maximum I was willing to pay and Just because they won by a £1 doesn't mean they hadnt put more on it. I could have bid again but still been outbid by them. I think doing it that way is how you get suckered in to bidding more than you can afford.

Aside from anything else I don't trust my broadband to be fast enough to enter a bid so late on and a lot of people use this awful software that bids for them faster than I ever could.
          I never used to, but sometimes, if its something you really want, it's the best way to ensure you get it! You're right about being outbid by a pound, another bid might not have helped, if the other bidder had put a larger bid on. I don't use that software bidding thingy either! I still would have placed my maximum bid today though, when the auction is due to finish, not days before.

Good luck with it, Rob! Let us know if you win!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
            I never used to, but sometimes, if its something you really want, it's the best way to ensure you get it! You're right about being outbid by a pound, another bid might not have helped, if the other bidder had put a larger bid on. I don't use that software bidding thingy either! I still would have placed my maximum bid today though, when the auction is due to finish, not days before.

Good luck with it, Rob! Let us know if you win!
            I only put it on late last night so only one day before. I will still be in work when it ends too so would have to rely on my phone if i was to make a late bid which can be perilous if the signal goes.

Sometimes I find it works to my advantage anyway, lots of people bid as you do trying to put in small increases late on. I find that if I have a large bid on in advance they get frustrated with continually being outbid and give up. Doesnt always work but im in no rush so if it doesnt come off there will be others no doubt.

Comment

I always leave it to last 10 second and never bid an equal amount ie £52 always go to £52.75 have only ever lost on 1 bid. I i have 2 ebay open and make sure the one i am bidding on is primed and ready to bid. the second one i keep refreshing every other second so i am aware of highest bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Renners View Post
                I always leave it to last 10 second and never bid an equal amount ie £52 always go to £52.75 have only ever lost on 1 bid. I i have 2 ebay open and make sure the one i am bidding on is primed and ready to bid. the second one i keep refreshing every other second so i am aware of highest bid.
                Well my way perhaps carries greater risk but I'm happy with it. I dont believe that bidding in the last minute actually saves you money because everyone else is doing the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B View Post
                  Well my way perhaps carries greater risk but I'm happy with it. I dont believe that bidding in the last minute actually saves you money because everyone else is doing the same thing
                  Dont do it at last minute to save money i do it as i want to win the auction, i always have a figure i will go to before i think the item is non viable and stick to it.

Comment

I usually do the same as Rob, decide what the item is worth to me and put that in as my bid, although i do often put it as a random £**.79 type bid on the off chance my highest bid is identical to other existing bidders. If I get outbid either 2 days or 2 seconds before the end of the auction, so be it, no point getting angry about it, clearly the item is worth more to someone else.

More importantly, did you buy it tonight Rob??
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

The trouble with bidding at the last minute is that you might get carried away and bid more than you originally planned in the hope of winning in the excitement. Also Rob's way of fixing an amount, bidding and then waiting seems the best way to me as it could well put those people off who bid on things that are a low price just to see if they win it for next to nothing.

Swings and roundabouts on the way you prefer I suppose.

One problem with bidding at the last minute is like Rob says, your computer might not refresh quick enough. We were once watching an awning that we really wanted, waited till the last 4 seconds and pressed the 'bid' button not knowing that it then went to a "confirm bid" page so our bid did not go on However, we were very lucky because after about 2 weeks we noticed that no feedback had been left for it and our son said why not contact them as it might have been a non payer, so we did and it turned out the chap who won couldn't pay and it was still available. We offered the same price as was bid and collected it the same day only 20 miles from home!

Hope you get your trailer tent Rob

Comment

Well regardless of which way is best I didnt win the trailer, it just ended and went for nearly £200 over my top bid so I was never going to win it. Not too sad as it went for far more than it was worth in my humble opinion. Watching a few others so we shall see what happens

Comment

I hate ebay

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                          I never bid on things until the last minute. I will put a small bid on something I want, just to keep an eye on it, but I'm there, placing my last and highest bid in the last 30 seconds as the clock is counting down to zero! I even put an alarm on my mobile to let me know it's time I got to the computer! That's probably why you were outbid by a £ on the last one (not me!) but most people don't put a final bid on until the last 30 seconds... you need to be logged in, online and have a good BB speed to do this.

Try it, put a large bid on (the absolute most you would be prepared to pay) in the last 30 seconds. Type the figure into the box, wait until there are 30 seconds to go, hit the bid button and then the confirm button and see what happens. Then you will be the one who pipped someone else to the post for just a few extra pounds! I also put in an odd amount, never multiples of 5 or ten, but something like, for eg. £69.75!

All you do by placing a good bid days before is invite others to outbid you really - and push the price up.

I do the same as jayjay. I know what I'm willing to pay and I bid at 15 seconds. Only missed out a few times. Pam

Comment

I am sure there is something suspicious about the maximum bid system. Even when you click on show automatic bids - never seems to make sense to me. Jumps up in illogical amounts. I am convinced that putting a max automatic bid in too early just pushes up the price. I usually miss out - but not willing to hang around the computer for those last minute bids - especially if at a funny time.

Lost out on loads recently - I keep bidding for Skylander stickers for my grandson - normally in a shop you buy a pack of 5 for 50p ie 10p each. Clearly you may get duplicates. I couldn't believe what people were willing to pay on ebay for specific stickers - my max wld be 10p per sticker - and that seems expensive !! People are bidding up to 20 p per sticker. and add postage afterwards. Madness. Especially when any one person can buy up to 25 specific numbers from the publishers anyway - at 10p

Comment

Originally posted by Renners View Post
                              Dont do it at last minute to save money i do it as i want to win the auction, i always have a figure i will go to before i think the item is non viable and stick to it.
                              Same here.

Comment