This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Camping

So, who on here does wild camping? What safety precautions do you take? How do you choose a location? We've often thought about it but to be honest I don't think I would get a wink of sleep as every passing car or snapping twig would have me sitting up and looking out the window. Am I too paranoid?

If you are on a budget some Caravan Club CL's charge just a few pounds a night, so not sure it worth a sleepless night really, what do others think?
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Ok if you have a ruddy great big rotweiller!

Ever since that couple got jumped by a gang with machetes and left to die at the side of the road, I've not been a fan of wilding.

However, there are exceptions to that - the further north in Scotland you get, the safer it feels to me. The Outer Hebrides don't offer much else - but there are some great council sites for wilding there.
    Last edited by jayjay; 12-11-2009, 08:14.

Comment

Wild camping

Definitely not, like Graham I wouldn't get a wink of sleep, every noise would have me sitting up, a few years ago it proably would happen but now NO, senior years make you wiser not to mention they slow you down some what, I would rather pay a site fee and have the security a site offers.
      Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
      'Live without regrets'

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
        So, who on here does wild camping?
        In the three years I've had my 'van I've never been on a campsite yet. I've nothing against them in principle but I haven't yet found the need for one.

The experience of the couple who were attacked has little, if anything, to do with campervanning. If someone is attacked by a drunken gang of maniacs and they're on foot it doesn't mean that we all have to stop walking.

I last camped at Wastwater Head and in the morning I sat up in bed; out of the front I looked at the deepest lake in England, through the side window there was the highest mountain, to the back I could see the smallest church and on the right was the pub. You can't find that on a campsite!

Comment

Hi, my husband and I wild camped in Scotland for 2 weeks, actually on the outer hebidries, but the first time was on the Isle of Skye, on the beach and it was awsome, the best views ever, (especially sitting on the u know what!) we camped in dip in the land on the beaches, only birds and otters around us, the memory will stay with me forever!!!

Not managed to do it on my own though, usually with son and on rallies, but I WILL do it one day more!

Comment

We've wildcamped on occasions. There's a website aimed at motorhomers where lots of locations are posted and discussed, see www.wildcamping.co.uk
            Aileen

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Ok if you have a ruddy great big rotweiller!

Ever since that couple got jumped by a gang with machetes and left to die at the side of the road, I've not been a fan of wilding.

However, there are exceptions to that - the further north in Scotland you get, the safer it feels to me. The Outer Hebrides don't offer much else - but there are some great council sites for wilding there.
              But it's only a couple of months since somebody was murdered on a campsite....

Making value judgements based on exceptional circumstances, either way, doesn't seem like a sensible plan to me.

Jane

Comment

I wildcamp and only use campsites on very rare occasions - usually when I'm on a longer trip and in desperate need of a shower.

I've wild-camped throughout the UK and love it. There are risks in life with everything and if someone was determined to break into either your home or camper then they'd find a way to do so. I always ensure I'm in a phone reception area and I keep a general awareness of my surroundings, but I'm not paranoid. I've solo-wildcamped for over 5 years and never had any bother.

I generally reccie an area as soon as I arrive to choose my overnight spot plus an alternative then I stay away until after dark, unless it's an area frequented by other wilders. I arrive after dark then leave early morning in unofficial spots and am seldom seen. If I didn't feel safe then I'd move on to the alternative spot. In rural villages I park carefully and considerately, use local shops and have found the locals tend to keep an eye on me and in one area of Yorkshire, they used to pop across every morning with a weather forecast. Mingling with locals in a village is a great way to get in-depth knowledge of an area - something you miss on a campsite.

As for sleepless nights - I've never had these whilst wilding and I recall with embarrassment the one time when I overslept in a very public car park, snoring loudly with my windows open!!

I'm not a great fan of campsites - they can be busy, noisy and you miss out on waking up in complete isolation to watch the rising sun, enjoy early birdsong. Nothing beats being the only person on a beach to watch the sun rise or an early morning mists in the middle of nowhere on the Brecon Beacons while also experiencing a feeling of freedom and being completely independent.

I love wilding, have never felt unsafe and look forward to another wilding weekend this year and many 'wild trips' next year!

Comment

I wild camp quite often in both urban and rural areas. Leisure centres are a godsend for showers, a morning swim and shower doesn't need to cost too much.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X