Camper van touring in Morocco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camper van touring in Morocco

Does anyone on here have experience of touring round Morocco in a camper van please? Any tips and info on what the campsites are like would be welcome. And how long can you spend there before you have to leave the country? And how long before you can return?

Originally posted by gringo_drongo View Post
    Does anyone on here have experience of touring round Morocco in a camper van please? Any tips and info on what the campsites are like would be welcome. And how long can you spend there before you have to leave the country? And how long before you can return?
    My sister went in her Hymer, I think it was part of an organised motorhome tour. I do know that she came back with some huge and stunning ammonite fossils - could never have brought those back on a plane!
    Mary

Comment

The coast of Morocco is mostly resorts and hotels. They have high security and I believe that, away from the tourist spots, it can be pretty dangerous. My son went for a holiday there last month, but stayed at a resort.

Comment

Morocco

Originally posted by gringo_drongo View Post
        Hi, you can stay 90 days in Morocco with a camper.You can go out of the country and then back again but use a different exit point...i.e. enter Ceuta and exit Melhilla and then re-enter from Melhilla. You have to fill out a form at the border with Ceuta, Melhilla or at Tangers. best to avoid the touts and get the form yourself...better if there are two of you in the car. the campsites are fine but make sure you have in writing the price so that at the end they do not overcharge you. I free camped most times and I had no problems. In cities ask to park at a petrol station and use public transport and then give the petrol station a tip when you leave...say 10 or 20 dirhams. Once you get to the western sahara, south of Guelmin the diesel was dirt cheap and I parked up near beaches and in petrol stations...I never had any problems right across the sahara. If you do that journey ( to dakhla or Mauretania then photocopy your passport with the visa stamp in it about 10 times and give one at every checkpoint as you cross the sahara...saves you lots of time. Be very careful about speeding..the police have mobile traps and fine on the spot. Any more info, just ask. I would not say that Morocco is a dangerous country as some say...its not in their interest to lose tourists and any one caught robbing from a tourist gets a hard time from their own people. watch out for the faux guides at places like Fez. what I do is pretend to take their photo and if they dont go away then I tell them i will go to the police with their photo...and they run off!!

Comment

Visited Morocco quite a bit, though not camping, and found, in the cities or tourist sites, it was a bit tiring continually saying "no" to the constant offers of help/assistance/guide/get a cheap rug ...............
          If you stayed in one place a while they seemed to get used to it being a waste of time - and I think after a while you get a kind of a "I'm not a fresh face, bin here a bit " look/walk that exudes a "don't bother with us" attitude, and I got a decent grasp of the language basics, which solved a lot of problems,
          (In the carpet areas in the bazaars, word travelled very fast, and we met with many offers to show us various pieces, but not full on at all, and it was soon known what we were looking for...... )

We visited some very out in the sticks/deserts and rural marketplaces and festivals, and here it was much easier going, and we felt we saw more the "real" country and people, who were very friendly and interesting.
          (We were told some appropriate in certain instances phrases by the French manager of the marvellous Hotel de France - the "nuclear" one being "You shame your God" , which I definitely didn't use.)

We had some minor unpleasantness - but the type that is perfectly understandable, when you consider the great numbers of Moroccans that still live below what we would consider the poverty line ...... after all, if you have very little, it's not a problem to keep on asking for small change and being rejected, begging, or continually being told to clear off when you ask if a guide is wanted "very cheap"..........

I was glad to have been lucky enough to visit the amount I did - and to jump, after 3-4 hours in a 'plane, from comfy old England into a completely alien society, as it were.
          Oh, and the trains were fantastic, when available - as was the "taxi-share" idea ; you pitched up in the local square, found some others who wanted to go to somewhere near your destination, found any drivers ready to go, and took the lowest fare, usually in a slightly timeworn diesel Merc...... picked up a lot more useful lingo this way.....

But, nowadays, I would think things are a lot more sensitive in general, and more than the obligatory few phrases would be a very good idea, out of politeness if nothing else.
          And the embassy would be a very good first port of call, very helpful.

Comment

I've no personal experience, but did find these sites which may be useful.

http://desertdetours.com/

http://motorhomemorocco.ourtour.co.uk/

http://www.themotorhomediaries.co.uk/morocco.html

http://www.europebycamper.com/2012/0...motorhome.html

Jules
            Last edited by JazziJ; 24-09-2015, 21:32. Reason: added more links

Comment

Safety in Numbers .....

The Germans know a thing or two about motorhoming in force. We did a conventional fortnight 'cultural' tour of Morocco and one afternoon we boggled at the size of an organised convoy that turned up and parked in the hotel carpark. It appears that if you use hotel facilities, take a meal, use the bar and so on, then it is often possible to camp up there overnight. One of the wags in our party threatened to creep out in the dead of night and stencil an Afrika Corps symbol on their sides!

Afrika Corps (Medium).jpg

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X