Wild Camping in Devon & Cornwall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Camping in Devon & Cornwall

Went on a 1600 mile tour (from Home & Back) Wild Camping in Devon & Cornwall from 25th June to 10th July 2016.

Always looked out for the dreaded "no overnight camping" signs which were numerous but found plenty of good places and a few nice spots on the moor's beside lake's / reservoirsand also secluded car parks.

Second day was the only real wet one the rest were fine, some just a bit overcast.

P10004262.jpg
    P10004522.jpg
    P10004712.jpg

Wild camping

It's encouraging to hear your experience, as I have just bought a romahome and have been a bit sad about how seemingly difficult it is to find wild camping places. So glad to hear its possible, especially in Devon and Cornwall. Did you find places by the sea? Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by miriam View Post
      It's encouraging to hear your experience, as I have just bought a romahome and have been a bit sad about how seemingly difficult it is to find wild camping places. So glad to hear its possible, especially in Devon and Cornwall. Did you find places by the sea? Many thanks
      Out the main season, I've always found wildcamping very easy in Cornwall. It's not something I'd particularly enjoy at this time of year when the area is very busy. I'd wait until later in the year when many of the parking restrictions are lifted and then you'll have a choice of overnight spots.

Comment

for the last 4 years we have holidayed in the last week in June and the first week in July.
        We did, Ireland, Scotland and Wales and this year Devon & Cornwall.
        The time of year we choose is is well before the school holidays and fairly quiet for holiday makers and sometimes we were the only people and car or Camper in our case around. We have all of the parking spots listed on the wild camping forum site and if we ever get stuck finding our own spot we refer back to that.
        There are 1000's all over the country and are shown on Google Earth. Most have postcodes and a lot have streetveiw, so you can see it before you arrive.

Comment

CORNWALL

Hi Guys,

I hope you all use these spots responsibly. We have been using them for years.

Davidstow Airfield off the A39 Atlantic Highway going east from Camelford on the A39 turn off to the right following sign Military Museum follow the B road over the cattle grid (you will hear local trafic crossing this all night.
          Choice time turn right Crow2die Resevoire and park near to the gateway into the forestry commission on your left OK for overnight.
          Carry straight on old airfield on both sides near the end turn right onto old taxi way and find a parking spot - watch out for potholes.

Keep dogs on a lead Ponies and Sheep Walk dogs in forestry just watch where local dog owners drive to we park near the gate without obstructing it - remember local dog walkers believe it is theirs by right we are the guests!!!!!!!
          Toilets, chip shop, in Camelford -- Gas in petrol station at west end of town on A39.

If you want cheap paid for parking in Tintagel you will notice most of the privately owned car parks have an overnight rate (self contained units only) next to a bit saying no camping. Overnight is 8pm to 8am scout the car parks first some are better than others. Have an alarm if you are not upand out by 8am you need more money for day rates. On the popular car parks sometimes an 8am queue of PJ clad people at the machine.

Finally Helston (where I live) bottom of town by the boating lake - turn onto the Porthleven Road about 200 metres by the side of Flora Motors a very large unpaved car park Free supposed to be truck park too also the site for Fairgrounds and circuses. So not available for the week around Helston Flora Day - May 8th.

Jon

Comment

We had a great time and covered around 1500 miles and camped at some wonderful spots.

P10004262.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
              for the last 4 years we have holidayed in the last week in June and the first week in July.
              We did, Ireland, Scotland and Wales and this year Devon & Cornwall.
              The time of year we choose is is well before the school holidays and fairly quiet for holiday makers and sometimes we were the only people and car or Camper in our case around. We have all of the parking spots listed on the wild camping forum site and if we ever get stuck finding our own spot we refer back to that.
              There are 1000's all over the country and are shown on Google Earth. Most have postcodes and a lot have streetveiw, so you can see it before you arrive.
              How do I find your list of wild spots? Travelling through Cornwell now and for the next couple days, thanks much

Comment

Hello sdirks and welcome to the site. I hope Jon sees your post and can help you.

Have you tried putting "Wild Camp in Cornwall Devon" in the search box. It might bring it up

Comment

Originally posted by sdirks View Post

How do I find your list of wild spots? Travelling through Cornwell now and for the next couple days, thanks much
                  These are my best parking spots

Davidstow Airfield off the A39 Atlantic Highway going east from Camelford on the A39 turn off to the right following sign Military Museum follow the B road over the cattle grid (you will hear local trafic crossing this all night.
                  Choice time turn right Crow2die Resevoire and park near to the gateway into the forestry commission on your left OK for overnight.
                  Carry straight on old airfield on both sides near the end turn right onto old taxi way and find a parking spot - watch out for potholes.

Keep dogs on a lead (there are Ponies and Sheep) you can walk dogs in forestry just watch where local dog owners drive to we park near the gate without obstructing it - remember local dog walkers believe it is theirs by right we are the guests!!!!!!!
                  Toilets, chip shop, in Camelford -- Gas in petrol station at west end of town on A39. Visit the museums - Davidstow was a WW2 airfield - t=at 700 feet the highest airfield in England. Just after the war it was a race circuit 2 Grand Prixs staged there.

If you want cheap paid for parking in Tintagel you will notice most of the privately owned car parks have an overnight rate (self contained units only) next to a bit saying no camping. Overnight is 8pm to 8am scout the car parks first some are better than others. Have an alarm if you are not upand out by 8am you need more money for day rates. On the popular car parks sometimes an 8am queue of PJ clad people at the machine.

Finally Helston (where I live) bottom of town by the boating lake - turn onto the Porthleven Road about 200 metres by the side of Flora Motors a very large unpaved car park Free supposed to be truck park too also the site for Fairgrounds and circuses. So not available for the week around Helston Flora Day - May 8th

Jon

Comment