No announcement yet.

kent wild camping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now, I’ve calmed down a bit, could I ask anyone who uses any of the wild camping spots I have mentioned here to be very respectful of the locals. If we use them respectfully, we can demonstrate that wild camping should be the norm, not have to be done surreptitiously. Europe have led the way, but it is no wonder people get irate with wild campers if we treat the places the way that Marc has suggested.

Thanks folks, Panda
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
      Now, I’ve calmed down a bit, could I ask anyone who uses any of the wild camping spots I have mentioned here to be very respectful of the locals. If we use them respectfully, we can demonstrate that wild camping should be the norm, not have to be done surreptitiously. Europe have led the way, but it is no wonder people get irate with wild campers if we treat the places the way that Marc has suggested.

Thanks folks, Panda
      Well said Panda but as in most things it’s always the minority that spoil it for the majority I’m afraid.

Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Exactly the same with dog owners isn't it.

The plonkers who thing the dog poo angel is going to come along and clear up their little nappy bag full of their pride and joy's doings because they are too precious to do it for themselves.

Comment

Panda / Pauline - thanks for your understanding. I know the majority of campers are respectful to the locals (I also enjoy taking my family on tenting holidays), but we've had too many people abusing our small park ... so I scanned for our location and this thread was the first result in Google.

Could I kindly request the name of our car park is also removed from my original post and Panda's reply? When I posted, I planned to return and remove the location from my comments, but it looks as if past posts cannot be edited.

Again, thanks for your understanding,
          Marc

Comment

Originally posted by marcusadamski View Post
            Panda / Pauline - thanks for your understanding. I know the majority of campers are respectful to the locals (I also enjoy taking my family on tenting holidays), but we've had too many people abusing our small park ... so I scanned for our location and this thread was the first result in Google.

Could I kindly request the name of our car park is also removed from my original post and Panda's reply? When I posted, I planned to return and remove the location from my comments, but it looks as if past posts cannot be edited.

Again, thanks for your understanding,
            Marc
            I've done that Marc.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

No problem Marc. Job done by our excellent mods, I believe.

Panda

Comment

I was reading something online yesterday about 'wild swimming', and how some previously popular sites for this activity had been completely ruined by wild campers leaving their rubbish all over the place. Why must people be so thoughtless??
                Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                  I was reading something online yesterday about 'wild swimming', and how some previously popular sites for this activity had been completely ruined by wild campers leaving their rubbish all over the place. Why must people be so thoughtless??
                  Cynthia.
                  It's probably the same people who STILL light BBQs in the tinder dry countryside. A friend is a countryside manager for the National Trust and he told me that almost every day at least one group will light a (usually) disposable BBQ in the midst of the dry grass. Idiots!!

Sorry for hijacking the OP btw

Comment

If, like me, you're a respectful wilder who just needs somewhere to park for the night and who tend to arrive late, keep a low profile and depart early without leaving any trace, then don't forget that urban street parking can be very useful - there's plenty of it around :-)
                    Really no different to the millions of cars and vans that park overnight on our streets every night.
                    I try to earmark a selection of likely spots either on Google Earth or just when in my overnight vicinity, then spend my day doing whatever I do and only park up in my chosen overnight spot when I'm ready to turn in for the night.
                    My favourite spots are what I called "Flanking" - that very useful stretch of road that flanks the side boundary of a corner plot. Rarely in front of anyone's window or drop kerb and frequently with street lighting close by.
                    I appreciate not for everyone but if you're wandering with no idea where you'll end up at night it can be a useful solution.
                    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Empyrean View Post

It's probably the same people who STILL light BBQs in the tinder dry countryside. A friend is a countryside manager for the National Trust and he told me that almost every day at least one group will light a (usually) disposable BBQ in the midst of the dry grass. Idiots!!

Sorry for hijacking the OP btw

I shouldn't worry on that score, it's always a good idea to keep the idea of cleanliness, tidiness and fire safety uppermost in the minds of campers. (And anyone else, come to that....) Which is why I sometimes highjack other peoples' threads by shouting from the rooftops: "Please pick up after your dog!" All the more important at the moment with more kids running around wild camps and camp sites.
                      Cynthia

Comment

The other places to keep in mind if you cant find anywhere else to park is industrial estates.

They usually have a network of well maintained roads in, out and around and some have security guards inside the companies compounds so they are also safe.

You often see big lorries parked up there waiting to unload early the next morning or resting up before moving on that evening.

Make sure you dont obstruct any entrance ( bearing in mind the swing some of theses lorries need to get in and out) and you will be OK

Comment

Hi there.

A couple of amendments to the list. Dover District Council and The National Trust have been playing nicely together, unfortunately to the detriment of wild campers.....

Walmer Castle car park now locked at night. I am 52 years old and in all my living memory I don’t recall it ever being locked before. It was also virtually empty at night. Why they have shut it, lord only knows. It was mostly used by courting couples (used it myself when I was young) and the occasional camper van and extensively by dog walkers until dark. They have also put ticket machines in there during the day, which seems a bit ridiculous as it is an unmade gravel car park with no marked bays. Madness.....

Langdon Cliff car park behind Dover Castle. Now locked with an expensive looking electric gate. I have been driving for 35 years and it has never been locked before for any length of time. Was a regular haunt for folk waiting to board nighttime ferries and for camper vans and again dog walkers and courting couples. It also kept the boy racers out of town to somewhere where they could play their stereos loudly after dark without really bothering anyone. Any money they now end up in the town center car parks annoying everyone. Again absolutely daft idea, locking it.

But there we go.

Panda.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandabloke View Post
                            Hi there,

Ok,

Dover Western Heights car parks. Two of them with heightbarriers. I have wilded in both of them. Dover, North Military Hill should get you there. Don't use the one fo Drop Redoubt Fort. It has a barrier blocking access at night.

Langdon Cliffs - Dover. Behind Dover Castle. National Trust green space. Expensive during the day but at night gates remain open and you can use viewpoint to stay overnight. Be gone before the Trust start charging. Used by courting couples, take away eaters and camper vans regularly!

St Margarets Bay. Beachfront car park. Loads of campers use it for wilding all year round. Free after 6pm til 9am. Use The Coastguard Public House address for location, but DON"T use their car park. Use the big gravel one adjacent.

St Margaret's Bay. Dover Patrol memorial. Google Dover Patrol memorial, some parking up their, campers regularly use it overnight. Just be respectful.

St Margaret's Bay. Lighthouse Road. Go along the unmade road, past the houses and on to the track. Bit bumpy. One or two pull-ins off the track or turn left over the cattle grid in to the nature reserve. Used it myself.

Deal. Walmer Castle Car park. Public car park opposite Walmer Castle. Ignore signs, just leave early. Used it myself many times.

Deal. Marine Parade - Walmer. Just off the fork in the road from the RNLI Lifeboat House onThe Strand. You'll see other campers parked on the road!by the green. Join them, just be respectful and discreet. Known overnight spot.

Deal. Free beachfront carpark bays. Drive along the seafront past the pier and past the Royal hotel. Lots of bays on seafront. The ones further along are free, the others are again 6pm - 9am free, I think.

Deal. Victoria Park. There is a public car park, rarely used, at the rear of Victoria Park in Deal, the side of road with the childrens playground in it, not the leisure centre side. Overnighted there numerous times myself. Very secluded with no evening traffic. Curiously, the boy racers haven't found this one yet!

Sandwich. Guildhall, Quay and Gazen Salts car parks. All public car parks, but regularly used by campers at night. Arrive late and leave early. Usual Dover District Council payments only between 9-5pm. Free at night. Used them all myself with no bother.

Westgate/Margate. Royal Esplanade -Westgate There is a beachfront car park that is very discreet oof the Royal Esplanade. If you drive along Royal Esplanade and jus look for the P for parking sign and drop down on the beach. I have 'courted' (ahem) down there in the past and have seen campers down there.

I can only say that some of these car parks have 'no overnight' signs in them, but I have used them discreetly and respectfully and had no problems. It is as ever, your choice.

That's it for now. Haven't been to Thanet wilding much, so I can't help a lot there. But Deal and Dover are only half an hour away or so. If I think of anything, I'll post further.

Ok. I would ask those who do not agree with wild camping not to comment here, as I am trying to help someone who does wild camp! I respect that you may not like wild camping and I wouldn't interrupt a thread of yours to tell that you are wrong. So please don't jump on this thread as an opportunity to have a go at wild campers please. 'Nough said. Ta.

Hope this helps.

Panda
                            This is why this is the best forum. There is so much knowledge and experience. There will always be someone, or who knows someone who can help. Top man Pandabloke.

Comment