The longest road in the nation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The longest road in the nation?

There were many times in my younger life when I wanted to make some memorable journey – ideally by foot or perhaps by pedal bike. I was inspired by Ian Botham when he did his epic Land's End to John O' Groats walks but I just never got around to doing it myself and now no longer have the physical stamina to take it on...... but..... I was thinking.............. why not Land's End to John O' Groats …..............in my camper (Berlingo MPV self conversion) and …..................wilding all the way?

That sounds like the beginning of a plan.

I really enjoying the plotting and planning of my trips though rarely (never) do I stick to them – but I still like to have a plan. It's a bit like watching YouTube, you start off watching some specific clip and 30 minutes later you're lost in the depths of some theme miles away from where you started.

I have reams of information on wild spots up and down the country and a number of apps too so will enjoy putting together a flexible route and very flexible itinerary.

At the moment I'm way south of the Equator but expect to be home (Essex) in time for Christmas which will give me plenty of time with my maps and Google Earth ready for departure next May/June.

(Well that's the plan anyway).
    Tony

To follow your headline,-- the longest road in the UK is the Great North Road (A1) London to Edinburgh at nearly 400 miles.Although Bilbo Baggins reminds us that "the road goes ever on and on"
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Good for you Tony, I've recently undertaken a major journey of 51 campsites wilding all the way, and I reckon that such a journey starts well before it begins, which sounds a bit nuts but by that I mean that the thinking, planning, equipping, prepping and so on is as much a part of the journey as the actual execution itself. Similarly, I feel that the journey ends before it finishes, in the mind at least, when it has all panned out and the end is in sight there's a sense of achievement but also one of let-down. The antidote to this is, of course, to begin thinking of the next trip! We have been all over UK over may years of camper-vanning, have completed most of a tracing of the entire UK coastline and have been to Romania twice, in all that time we only ever used a campsite once... and it was a mistake. There's a knack to finding wild sites (and a comprehensive section on this website giving advice) but they are what floats my boat. Horses for Courses ... many folk prefer the social side of campsite living. Not me. If you have not read John Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" I'd recommend it, I took it with me on this last trip and it was comforting to read that I experienced many of the anxieties and misgivings that he did and also enjoyed many of his positive reactions to folks I encountered on the road.

Hope it goes well for you, I am not a diarist but I felt my recent trip worthy of recording, so diligently kept a record of mileages, camp locations, happenings, altitudes and so on. After a few days on the road it's easy to forget details and the whole thing can blur. Photo below of one of our camps in the Utah desert.

Good luck with it ... do keep us all informed.

Utah camp (Large).jpg click to enlarge
      Last edited by mikeroch; 11-11-2018, 16:53.

Comment

Sorry about that font - haven't a clue where that came from.
        Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
          To follow your headline,-- the longest road in the UK is the Great North Road (A1) London to Edinburgh at nearly 400 miles.Although Bilbo Baggins reminds us that "the road goes ever on and on"
          Actually 'The Long and Winding Road.....(that) Leads to your Door'... Ho hum. Sorry about that
          Cynthia.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post

Actually 'The Long and Winding Road.....(that) Leads to your Door'... Ho hum. Sorry about that
            Cynthia.
            I was thinking of this, “The Road goes ever on and on
            Down from the door where it began.
            Now far ahead the Road has gone,
            And I must follow, if I can,
            Pursuing it with eager feet,
            Until it joins some larger way
            Where many paths and errands meet.
            And whither then? I cannot say”

or were you thinking of the Beatles, www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR4HjTH_fTM

Last edited by Ian.C.S; 11-11-2018, 21:38.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

tonyt That sounds exciting! I also wanted to do John o'Groats to Lands' End by bicycle, and dreamed of doing it in my younger days. Or following the coast right around the UK... something I would still like to do. Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post

I was thinking of this, “The Road goes ever on and on
                Down from the door where it began.
                Now far ahead the Road has gone,
                And I must follow, if I can,
                Pursuing it with eager feet,
                Until it joins some larger way
                Where many paths and errands meet.
                And whither then? I cannot say”

or were you thinking of the Beatles, www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR4HjTH_fTM

Oh, definitely the latter. The best track from 'Let it Be', not, IMHO, the best of the Beatles' albums Except perhaps 'Across the Universe'.
                Cynthia.

Comment

jayjay There's a guy on the another motorhome forum who wanted to sail right around the British coast but didn't have enough time to do it in one session so one year he towed his boat (a small yacht I believe) to the starting point and sailed for a couple of weeks, then towed it home. The following year he towed it back to the previous year's finish point and repeated the exercise. I think his wife went along in their camper and met up with him each evening. I remember him posting that he'd finally circumnavigated the British Isles but it took him something like 12 years.

It can be done. Where there's a will............................ get that bike out of the shed, pump up the tyres and realise that dream.
                  Tony

Comment

John 'O' Groats to Lands End: 874 miles, but you have to get from your home to the start, and then when it's all over you face the long journey home which doubles the distance. It's a long way, especially if you do it in twenty four hours like I did changing drivers every 250 miles. When I did it solo (Not reccomended) I nearly came off the motorway just south of Birmingham and was forced to take the next exit and grab four hours sleep in a layby. The longest seventeen miles I have ever driven. I still managed to arrive at Lands End within the time limit but I wouldn't attempt it again. You only get to kill yourself once and I'm still not ready for that yet.

Comment

MYKE I really won't have any time limit but am looking at about 3 weeks so an average of 40 miles a day - a gentle chug. I haven't travelled much in the UK so it will be interesting to see what the land is like North of Watford - my map shows that part of the country all shaded out grey with the words : Here Be Dragons. I might have to brush up on languages too.
                      Essex born and many times I've travelled to the southernmost tip of Africa and to numerous other spots around the world but never north of Coventry here.
                      Tony

Comment

Hi Tony We did it this year - myself Sandra and Bertie the hound Land's End to John [email protected] Groats and more importantly Lizard Point (most southerly point) to Dunnet Head - we also did the North Coast 500 with detours we clocked up 2240 miles. Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                          tonyt That sounds exciting! I also wanted to do John o'Groats to Lands' End by bicycle, and dreamed of doing it in my younger days. Or following the coast right around the UK... something I would still like to do. Go for it!
                          My pal did Pontypool to Edinburgh, solo, on his bike, to celebrate his 80th birthday. He said he went solo as he didn't have enough friends left to have a party! He did, however, come back on the train. I'm waiting to see what he does for his 90th in a couple of years!

Comment

JonTony forgot to say we turned off the A9 after Perth - took what Visit Scotland calls the "Snow Roads" following them you go over the 2 highest bits of public road in Britain.
                            After Inverness go to the Black Isle Cromarty - there is a wild camping spot overlooking the rig yards at Nigg, after Cromarty town watch out for Unicorns!
                            Another good spot is by Noss Ness lighthouse Wick!
                            If you follow the NC500 then the 2 parking spots on the Kyle of Tongue crossing are wild camping spots to die for - Kyle of Tongue is also known as Kyle of Rainbows .
                            Jon

Comment

kernowjon Thanks for that. Co-ords will be added to my ever-reliable Garmin.
                              Tony

Comment