No announcement yet.

The longest road in the nation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh that doesn't sound right, CyberCynth ! Unclassified roads (if you live on them) would only be included if you needed to use them to get you to the M5, and would be included in the directions. See if you can find the bit in the options where it asks you about what sort of roads you would like to use, maybe the 'avoid motorways' or 'avoid highways' option is checked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gd3-CFSwFw

Comment

Unclassified roads is usually when you have the "shortest route" option selected. We used it from Windemere to Carlisle and were taken along tracks and unclassified roads I would not want to recomend for some camper vans and a caravan near impossible! I would have bailed out but going back was not really an option at that time. The next day using the same setting we had a fantastic drive from Hawick (pronounced HOIK") to Berwick-on-Tweed again maybe not good for caravans.
      Incidently I see nearly half the caravan accidents in Cornwall and Devon have been on unclassified roads.
      I think caravanners and motorhomes should use "Truck" type sat navs that allow you to put in vehicle size, trailer etc.
      That said once when towing our Coachman (not a small caravan) the Satnav turned us onto a lane that brushed both sides of the van, to bail out involved reversing about 200 yards and onto a main road, so we crossed our fingers, toes and hoped for the best.
      Jon

Comment

Thanks again both jayjay and kernowjon. Jacki, I have already checked the settings for the 'preferred routes and navigation' and nothing in there ticked to lead the Garmin to avoid these routes. I did tick the 'Avoid motorways' option once - just the once! - , when i was trying to find a friend's house near the motorway but halfway between junctions. It kept sending me down the M5 and then expected me to reverse half the route on 'white' roads. Ever since then it seems to have got itself stuck on that setting, despite, as saying earlier, me checking the choices of route on offer and then selecting the motorway route. It STILL won't use the motorway route despite offering it as a choice!

Jon, I am not at all surprised to hear about the accidents in the West being mostly on 'whites'. Even when my Garmin was behaving 'normally' it would suddenly instruct me to turn off the recommended route and send me off into the back of beyond! I've come to the conclusion these satnavs are only any good for short trips. What I tend to do now is set up a route on the Garmin but then switch it off and use my 'Road numbers on a sheet of paper' method until I am just a few miles from my destination. Then the Garmin's switched back on just for the final few miles. They're quite good for directing you to sites from a link road, especially as some camp sites are not always very clearly marked from the road. Either that, or if i want to find my way from the site to the nearest Co-op for a groceries top-up, they're ideal!
        Cynthia

Comment

It sounds like there's something wrong with your sat nav then, Cynthia. It should take you on the route you selected. Hmmmmm... you did cancel the avoid motorways option afterwards, didn't you? I think you must have... Take it to Halfords and let their techie chaps sort it out, I think that's the best option.

I have a new never been out of the box Garmin here, it was my dads, but he never used it. I still prefer my old TomTom!!

Comment

We have a tom tom in the car and we had a snooper in the van but the new van came with a satnav with a built-in reversing camera. Both of the van satnavs have provision for entering the height, width and length of the vehicle. Colin prefers the snooper as it has all the club sites both C&CC and C&MC loaded in. We use the van satnav all the time and seldom have problems with it, the snooper has taken us all over France and was only a problem when it needed updating. The snooper has all the ACSI sites loaded on and each time it took us right to the gate without incident. We do obviously carry a map but seldom have to refer to it. With my appalling sense of direction I was mighty glad when satnavs first became available and I've used one ever since.
            Janet

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              It sounds like there's something wrong with your sat nav then, Cynthia. It should take you on the route you selected. Hmmmmm... you did cancel the avoid motorways option afterwards, didn't you? I think you must have... Take it to Halfords and let their techie chaps sort it out, I think that's the best option.

I have a new never been out of the box Garmin here, it was my dads, but he never used it. I still prefer my old TomTom!!
              Yes, I did cancel the 'Avoid motorways' choice jayjay !

I'll probably go to Halfords on Monday morning, they'll be quieter then and perhaps more likely to be able to spend some time having a look at it. What will make me hopping mad is if they just twiddle with the settings for a micro-second, then hand it back to me all sorted!

Janet The Sitter I'm very jealous that you have 2 reliable satnavs!
              Cynthia

Comment

Originally posted by CyberCynth View Post
                ..............What will make me hopping mad is if they just twiddle with the settings for a micro-second, then hand it back to me all sorted!.................Cynthia
                ..... and of course "they" will be a spotty 12 year old who believes everyone over 40 has passed their usefulness, can't possibly understand anything techie and should be humanely put down.

Tony

Comment

Great idea. I've covered much of the route, wilding all the way, but missed a few sections around southern Scotland but most of the rest I've done, including both Lizard's Point and Lands End along with JoG and Dunnet Head.

I'd also love to do LEJOG - if only I were fit enough to pedal myself and about 22kg of camping gear - and could muster together the time it would take. One day, maybe...

Comment