Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to spot a good overnight mooring to park at...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to spot a good overnight mooring to park at...

dear all,
    all you experienced motorhome campers, talking about camping without a campsite. Often in urban or semi-urban environs.
    this novice requires your advice on how to spot a good overnight parking place. I recently spoke to a charming old bird who was well camper worldly and she advised that parking 'down the docks' is good. I was surprised. Others have mentioned industrial estates and business parks as good. Pay & display sites are clearly not to be recommended. Noise and anti-social behaviour are clearly to be avoided. close proximity to good things is clearly a bonus.
    so. .....
    Please fill in the gaps :
    1) what type of places do you seek out...?
    2) what do you avoid ?
    lessons from the experts please ?

I generally aim to choose my spot late-afternoon then have a second spot in reserve just incase there are any problems. I arrive later in the evening and leave early morning - usually without being seen but it depends on the area and how remote it is.

I always ensure it's not going to inconvenience anyone, is fairly discreet, within a phone reception area and unlikely to attract boy racers.

I'm not a fan of industrial estates although some people like them - they often have CCTV and some industrial unit holders welcome campers as extra security for their unit.

I generally opt for rural locations -Yorkshire moors, quiet harbours, country lanes.

My advice is
    - leave any area tidier than when you found it (even if it means picking up litter left by others)
    - support local shops
    - respect the locals and if they ask you to move on, then do so
    and, most of all, trust your instincts.

I rarely use campsites except when I'm in dire need of a shower; I find them noisy and expensive. Wilding is much more fun with a greater sense of freedom and improvisation eg finding your own water supply. I'll be away for 5 nights this week - but won't be going anywhere near any campsites.

Enjoy!

Comment

Some good advice there, I think I'll do a bit of "wilding" myself, campsites can get a bit noisy although the ones Ive been to this summer have been reasonably quiet
      http://romahomeandaway.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've never done any "wilding" myself. Though I have occasionally approached farmers to use a corner of a field, which of course means no facilities.

I would feel like an intruder to camp at a beauty spot, spoiling the ambience for people out enjoying nature. I have walked through unspoilt countryside, only to find it WAS spoilt by the inconsiderate parking of campers.

Travellers make a habit of it. Do we not object to them? I am always willing to pay for the use of any facilites as long as the cost is sensible. Which does rule out some sites, but there are always others. I have never looked for "freebies" in anything I do and I do not see camping any different. I suppose I might see it differently if I tried to climb Everest or visit the South Pole though.

Just an opinion. No offence meant to anyone on the Forum.
        Jim.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          I would feel like an intruder to camp at a beauty spot, spoiling the ambience for people out enjoying nature. I have walked through unspoilt countryside, only to find it WAS spoilt by the inconsiderate parking of campers.
          Jim.
          I quite agree!

True wilding is being considerate to all and not parking a huge motorhome in full view of others or causing a nuisance to anyone.

I park discreetly (a Renault Kangoo - nothing larger), after dark and am gone in the morning, leaving no evidence that I was there and, hopefully, the parking spot tidier than when I arrived while also giving any local bakeries or small stores the benefit of some custom.

As for parking in the daytime, this is also with consideration but in reality is no different to anyone who uses a conventional campsite and then heads out for the day to explore the area. Re wilding, I was talking about parking overnight!

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post

i totally agree, hence my original question regarding Urban & semi-urban locales. Any advice please folks ?

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
              I generally aim to choose my spot late-afternoon then have a second spot in reserve just incase there are any problems. I arrive later in the evening and leave early morning - usually without being seen but it depends on the area and how remote it is.

I always ensure it's not going to inconvenience anyone, is fairly discreet, within a phone reception area and unlikely to attract boy racers.

I'm not a fan of industrial estates although some people like them - they often have CCTV and some industrial unit holders welcome campers as extra security for their unit.

I generally opt for rural locations -Yorkshire moors, quiet harbours, country lanes.

My advice is
              - leave any area tidier than when you found it (even if it means picking up litter left by others)
              - support local shops
              - respect the locals and if they ask you to move on, then do so
              and, most of all, trust your instincts.

I rarely use campsites except when I'm in dire need of a shower; I find them noisy and expensive. Wilding is much more fun with a greater sense of freedom and improvisation eg finding your own water supply. I'll be away for 5 nights this week - but won't be going anywhere near any campsites.

Enjoy!
              That's very interesting information, Karenw. I have considered camping wild for a night on the way to and from a distant camp site. Just to break up the journey. Haven't tried it yet but maybe one day. Must admit the daughters are adept at finding me somewhere 'safe' to park. The latest one is in the drive of her house if I must sleep in the van.
              Maria

Comment

Driveways are good! They have many benefits - a safe location, hook-up and water available and are free.

I'm gradually building up a network of driveways across the country and offer free overnights here with water and hook-up as a reciprocal arrangement and it works well all round. It won't replace 'wilding' but it's good in the depths of winter when it's dark by 4pm and frosty shortly afterwards so heat and lighting are preferable.
                Last edited by karenw; 22-06-2011, 13:55.

Comment

If you're visiting mid-Wales, Powys council allows you to stay overnight for free on some of their car parks, so long as you move on after one night and do not return until the following week.

I used this facility in Hay-on-Wye a few weeks ago while visiting the literary festival. Stayed overnight on the Monday, because it allowed me to get to an early talk on the Tuesday morning, and then moved onto a proper site until the end of the week.
                  Neil

Comment

No offence

No offence to anyone on the forum but Wild Camping is illegal.
                    Is it really so difficult to try and chat with the landowner to see if he will give his permission to camp.
                    People have said I camp on the moors away from anyone so I can't be doing any harm.
                    Consider this how many sheep are stolen every year. A farmer see's a strange van go past and park up in a secluded spot.
                    Are they rustlers should he approach them he dosen't know what you are upto.
                    Then other wild campers might think its ok to have a fire next thing the moor is ablaze.
                    Others have dogs (nice pets) at home maybe if they get away from owners they can run amok chasing sheepand livestock sometimes they change from play chasing to attacking. Have you ver seen sheep ripped apart by otherwise friendly family pets I have it's like a battle scene.
                    Most land is privately owned just because its the countryside is it ok to ignore that?
                    It seems to me that people who Wild camp without asking permission are doing it for the excitement.They know it is illegal. That's the buzz.
                    Laws on the whole are there for a reason it is not up to individuals to pick and choose which they obey.
                    Just thought I would put the other side of the argument and yes you guessed it I am a farmer.
                    I would have no objection to someone approaching me in a friendly polite manner asking to camp overnight, but someone just thinking they can park were they like would be very rude and upsetting.
                    I do think that Graham should say wether the forum respects the law and does not condone breaking it.

Comment

Of course if you park on private land or a farm, you should ask permission. If it's not convenient at that particular spot then very often you'll be directed to an alternative location. It's also a great way to get to know an area via the locals and a local economy can also benefit from your custom eg I always make a point of supporting a bakery, village stores etc which have helped me. It can be 2-way. Others who wildcamp in rural pub car parks, with permission(!), will have first had a meal/drink there. This isn't my style of wilding, but many do and wildcamping meets can be arranged in pub carparks and linked to charity fundraising weekends. There was one in Leek last month, which I called in on after my Scotland wilding trip, and this raised over £1000 towards The Prostate Charity.

Wildcamping should not cause offence, nuisance or inconvenience to anyone - that would just give wildcampers a bad name. Wildcamping is not necessarily akin to trespass or even illegal (eg permitted in most of Scotland, in Powys car parks and there are quite a lot of other places) but it must be undertaken carefully and with every consideration for others. I think there's a little misunderstanding on this forum!

Karen
                      (the criminal! )

Comment

Sorry if I have offended anyone including Karen W.
                        But if as you say you scout the area in the afternoon and then park in the dark and gone in the morning . Sounds to me you are not looking to get premission.
                        If you get permission by definition it is no longer wild camping.
                        If you don't and its then Wild Camping and illegal.
                        Of course not if your in Scotland but then I wasn't talking about there.

Comment

Yes "wilding" is illegal in England, but how many other stupid laws do you know?
                          ALWAYS follow a "leave no trace" policy. The advice to even pick up other people's rubbish is good - we do that.
                          ALWAYS ask landowners permission, whenever humanly possible, although it can be very difficult to know who to ask.
                          ALWAYS adopt an instant drive away policy, and park so that you can drive away without reversing etc. ( I can tell you a funny story about that)
                          NEVER set up camp: No chairs, tables, awnings etc.
                          NEVER wild in a motorway service area, the dregs of humanity prowl those places.
                          Try supermarket car parks, esp Tesco. ask the duty manager if you can park o'nite in a corner of the car park. They like it coz it deters scroats.
                          Check out www.ukmotorhomes.net/uk for a list of places approved for wilding, some charge small amounts, some are free.
                          Try any pub, often if you have a couple of bevvies and maybe a meal, they let you stay in the car park. Ask BEFORE you start drinking and set yr bed up before you go in the pub. ( I can tell you another story about that too!)
                          :jump for joy:Jimish

Comment

No, wildcamping is parking somewhere which isn't regulated, ie somewhere other than a campsite or CL etc!

Yes, I reccie an area in an afternoon and return late in the evening. I sometimes park where I probably shouldn't but I don't trespass. I choose my areas carefully because I'm camping solo and very safety-conscious. I also arrive late and leave early - it means I'm seldom seen and this is by choice and I leave no evidence that I've been - and this applies even in areas where wilding is allowed (eg the Powys car parks since they've been mentioned). Sometimes I stay in an area for a few nights (happy memories of an elderly man in Yorkshire who used to pop over to my van every morning with a cup of tea, his already-read newspaper and a weather forecast...) but generally I'm touring so it's one night in each area and then I move on.

Later this week I'll be staying in the same area for 4-5 nights. Wilding isn't strictly allowed but nor is it prohibited. It's one of those grey areas - one where my little van doesn't attract a second glance but a large multi-roomed motorhome may be viewed differently.

Although, wilding may be stated to be illegal, there is actually more tolerance than you might think. Providing no nuisance is caused, there are several Local Authorities and other organisations (eg Forestry Commission) which permit it in moderation, although this is seldom promoted other than by word of mouth. The key is to be considerate and not abuse the facility where it is available. Once wilding, you quickly learn the areas where wilding is welcomed - and where it's not!

Comment

camping almost for free

Have you considered joining Britstops? Costs 25 pounds but then lots of free places suggested eg in an orchard, pub car parks etc. no obligation to buy products from their shops / eat at the meal, though perhpas that would be a nice thing to do!
                              http://www.britstops.com/:)
                              Carpe diem! :)

Comment