Mendip Hills AONB Out of Bounds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mendip Hills AONB Out of Bounds.

Just thought I'd better warn any potential wild campers that wild camping in the Mendips is verboten!

There was a short article in the 'Mendip Times' August edition on the subject: I quote:

"The Mendip Hills AONB service is expecting an influx of visitors with the easing of Covid-19 restrictions and is urging people to use official campsites.

They say this will help the rural economy recover and visitors won't have to worry about a landowner or the police knocking on their windscreen or tent.

Camping and overnight stays are not allowed on any of the visitor car parks, nature reserves or open access areas.

Jim Hardcastle, AONB manager said "We're regularly finding piles of single use wipes and toilet paper behind bushes near visitor car parks as many of the campervans we see staying overnight clearly don't have toilet facilities in them. This creates a real hazard for wildlife and other people".

- Quite apart from the health hazard, I would add, is also just downright disgusting. What is the matter with these people? If you are travelling some distance from home to a rural area, would you do so if you didn't have toilet facilities on board? Do folk expect to see loo blocks built on every AONB just for their convenience? Well, they obviously don't care anyway, and just 'dump' whenever and where ever they feel the need. Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.... I'm sure SMH wild campers don't indulge in these selfish and filthy practices.
    Cynthia

I can never understand their attitude CyberCynth

Should you feel the need to answer a call of nature, even if it's only a pee and you don't have anything with you (and that in itself is a biggggg nono - you knew you were going a distance so why didn't you go prepared) I can understand the call of a tree in the undergrowth but why for heavens sake is it necessary to dump your tissues or wet wipes.

If you are really stuck (and again, why aren't you prepared !!!) what's wrong with putting wet wipes and used tissues in a bin bag and disposing of it in a waste bin Grrrrr

In 2011 we went on a much planned and saved for holiday to Australia and New Zealand but there were several beaches and natural beauty spots that were closed to the public due to the irresponsible behaviour of a few.

Many sites I viewed before we went (trying to organise an itinery) showed pictures of the disgusting leavings of these idiots, some of whom had utilised paper plates as a landing spot for their solids and then left it there as if they were presenting it as a gift so you followed a nature trail and had to be careful where you stepped!!

There are inconsiderate idiots everywhere. If their toilets packed up at home and they had to wait for a plumber, would they use their own lawns?

Of course they wouldn't.

What's the saying Oh yeah "Not in my backyard" !!!!!

Comment

It's so disgusting. I can't understand the mental process behind it all- travelling to a place presumably because you appreciate the beauty of nature and then spoiling it.

Comment

Sometimes, with the best will in the world and despite all planning and preparation ... nature calls. So it was for me when marching in to climb Suilven, our spectacular neighbourhood mountain, I can confirm that Freshly plucked cool and moist Spagnum Moss, capable of holding 3x its own weight of water and naturally antiseptic, will deliver an experience nothing short of spiritual. Added to your ... er ... 'deposit' and covered with the turf you cut in preparation, it will decompose swiftly and invisibly.

Golden rules for al fresco relief:

No.1 .... at least 30m from a water course and always downwind!
        No. 2 ... as far from paths and water as possible, cut turf, use Sphagnum or similar, replace turf. Remove (or burn / bury) any paper products.

(click to enlarge).

IMG_7370b (Small).jpg Suilven Sphagnum (Medium).jpg Your behind will love you for ever!

Comment

Worth a read if you can find one secondhand ,https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-****-Wo...6202324&sr=8-1
          Whether or not it solves your problem, I seem to remember finding it very amusing.
          Away with the Fairies

Comment

Is it really people in campervans responsible for all this waste? I have my doubts.... Nearly all, if not all, campervans will have a loo and sink and my suspicion is that it is car drivers and/or tent campers who are most likely responsible.

If campervans have stayed without any issues in previous years, why are problems only occurring this year, also the year when many public loos are closed? Hmmmm....

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
              Is it really people in campervans responsible for all this waste? I have my doubts.... Nearly all, if not all, campervans will have a loo and sink and my suspicion is that it is car drivers and/or tent campers who are most likely responsible.

If campervans have stayed without any issues in previous years, why are problems only occurring this year, also the year when many public loos are closed? Hmmmm....
              Could be that campervans used to park overnight and use the toilets therefore no issues until this year when there are no toilets for them to use
              I'm not saying it is, just saying that anyone in a vehicle with no toilet, be it a car driver or a tent camper or a campervan, will encounter the same problem.
              Away with the Fairies

Comment

There are campervans and campervans! maybe part of the problem is the closed or retricted size campsites, people going wild camping unprepared. I know from other threads there are people on this Forum who do not have an onboard toilet.
                When we are realy off grid - used loo paper and wet wipes do not go into the loo, in case we have to empty it in the wilds (digging a hole at least 18 inches deep) nor do we use Loo Blue type products (liquid biological detergent does thje job enviromentally) The used loo paper etc goes in a plastic bag in a clippa box. When we return to civilisation the plastic bag goes into a Dog Poo bin. I stress this is emergency action when the loo is full and there is no where to empty it. But it takes being prepared - paper in plastc bag and box - carrying a trowel.

Jon
                Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post

Only quoting the AONB Manager! ".....as many of the campervans we see staying overnight clearly don't have toilet facilities in them......" I certainly wouldn't want to apportion blame on campervan or microcamper owners only. I'm sure there are plenty of day trippers/walkers who get caught short sometimes. However it's more likely to be someone who is at the AONB overnight that will be needing to relieve themselves. mikeroch I'm not sure spagnum moss is that ubiquitous is it? Even so, your recommendation for responsible dealing with deposits wouldn't be followed by some, as I doubt there's many who would bother digging up turf; would they even be carrying a spade/trowel or similar enabling tool?!

Two 'asides' here; the first, that the problem seems to have got much worse since many public toilets have been closed because of Covid-19. Admittedly, people are going to have to 'go' somewhere. It's the lack of preparation and the reluctance to sort out their own mess that's the problem.

The second: Did anyone watch the programme on Channel 5 last night about rubbish (and sewage)? I think to most of the population the disposal of sewage is what someone else deals with. We use the loo, flush the cistern and that's the end of it as far as most people are concerned. I wonder whether this mentality about poo being 'someone else's problem' persists even when they are squatting behind a hedge?

A bit off-topic, but I can't understand why companies (or some of them. at least) are still printing on their wipes packaging that the product is flushable. Well of course it's flushable but the wipes causes massive problems at the sewage treatment plants. We, the service users are having to pay for these blockages when the manufacturers of the wipes should be paying!
                  Cynthia

Comment

As I haven't lived in a house since 2008 I'm used to using and emptying a portable toilet. The canal facilities have been open throughout lockdown which was a lifesaver for me but it really isn't the big deal that house dwellers seem to think it is.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X