wild camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
    Like most others I'm a little apprehensive about the changes that Brexit might bring, I could envisage a less friendly view of us Brits. However, we've travels a few trips to Europe, often two months or so at a time and have stayed in a variety of places, campsites, aires, roadside etc and never had any problem. Having a Romahome helps - I've lost count of the times we've had a knock on the door followed by "I zink dis ees a nice van, please you show".
    Similar to the request for 'the tour' of our narrowboat. Cruising craft in Europe are large, the most popular being Dutch craft, often converted working boats.
    Pat Harris - Life is a journey.

Comment

I agree with France and Germany being very friendly. I would add Sweden, Norway and Finland to the list: lots of beautiful places to stop, the outdoor life is part of the culture and is even set in the law (allemansratten). Denmark instead seems to be more regulated.
      Moving south, plenty of places to stop on the Alps (France, Italy, Austria), with the exception of Switzerland.
      Italy can be a problem during July and August when the tourist season is at its top. Easy in the other months. The intermediate seasons are the best.
      In the winter Italy is tho separate countries: warm and pleasant in the south (very much like the south of Spain) and cold in the North (We have fresh snow right now)

When travelling in Europe I have found a big help in the apps that list stopping places for motorhomes: Park4night is a good one, but there are others like ioverlander.
      In general I prefer Park4night in Europe and ioverlander or allstays in USA and Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
        Like most others I'm a little apprehensive about the changes that Brexit might bring, I could envisage a less friendly view of us Brits. However, we've travels a few trips to Europe, often two months or so at a time and have stayed in a variety of places, campsites, aires, roadside etc and never had any problem. Having a Romahome helps - I've lost count of the times we've had a knock on the door followed by "I zink dis ees a nice van, please you show".
        You make a good point. Over here (south of the channel) we have the same thinking, only the other way around: could we expect a less friendly view of us when visiting Britain?
        If there is some bitterness at political level, will it flow down and affect the behavior of the people?
        I hope and think not. My experience travelling is that most of the people react in a similar way, regardless of the country: if approached in a positive way they will respond likewise.
        There are exceptions, but we experience that also in our own country.
        Sometimes there could be misunderstandings, due to language or cultural differences: the same thing could have a different meaning in a different place.

Two years ago, just before the Covid, I made a long trip in the USA with my own motorhome, and I had the very same worry, due to the US political climate.
        The experience was totally positive: I received a warm welcome in most places: the standard opening was an extended hand with a "welcome to tennessee, or Utah, Montana, Alaska..."
        So let's hope for the best!
        I would like to know your view on this

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
        Working...
        X