Wild Camping.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Camping.

Did anyone see the shots of the disgusting messes left by wild campers in Scotland shown in Country File on BBC yesterday?
    It seems that they have shot themselves in the foot because wild camping there will now be much restricted by legislation.
    While I do not wild camp from choice, it could even affect me because I always felt that it was an option in an emergency. But now????
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

I didn't see it but, as a regular and, hopefully, a responsible wild-camper, I couldn't condone it and it could give all of us a bad name.

I, like those I know, are very careful to ensure that, other than occasional tyre-marks, there is never any evidence we've been and, ideally, parking places should be left tidier than we found them. Certainly, if there was any litter by a spot I'd parked in, I'd pick it up to ensure I could never be accused of leaving any behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
      Did anyone see the shots of the disgusting messes left by wild campers in Scotland shown in Country File on BBC yesterday?
      It seems that they have shot themselves in the foot because wild camping there will now be much restricted by legislation.
      While I do not wild camp from choice, it could even affect me because I always felt that it was an option in an emergency. But now????
      Jim.
      Jim Yes I Did
      Wildcamping on the east side of Loch Lomond has been a problem for a long time it is tents and cars that cause the problem .... weekend campers from Glasgow.It was banned last year along the eastern shore.

As of yet they have not banned overnighting in the large lay-bys on the A82 on the western side.

We have always wildcamped, we rarely stay on a site
      Alf
      Last edited by alf39; 12-12-2011, 12:09.

Comment

twin1

Hi Alf
        I watched the programme too. Many many years ago I lived up by the Trossachs very near to the place featured . Could not believe it. It was always so beautiful.
        Safe for for walkers and even then the odd camper stayed overnight by the loch without problems.
        I think its a shame when people leave behind all their rubbish.

Comment

some with more money then sense left genny behind responsuble wild campers leave nothing and often wil tidy up i have been known to tidy up and it cost nothing but a little bit of timeand certainly improves the veiws

Comment

A couple of my friends used to go wild camping - they would often pick up other peoples rubbish as it gave all wilders a bad name.

Comment

I saw the programme and was a little disappointed at what I saw. I have wild camped many times.
              On the Portsmouth side of the Hayling Island Ferry I picked up 2 black bin liners of others rubbish but I wasn't convinced it was all from campers.

Comment

Toilet lark and wild camping

Hi guys may i ask you experts on wild camping were do you empty the portaloo, or casset toilet while wild camping, do you actualy use campsites for that ??.
                And fresh water were would that come from as most campervans/ motorhomes dont have a fresh water tank that will last a week.
                And the dirty water tank were do you empty that, sink lark.

We have wild camped over night ,on the way to a meet or rally, and some yrs ago had 3 nights in mid wales wild camping in a mark 2 trany camper, and 1 night on a campsite to get fresh water, used local loos mostly and portaloo at night if neded lol.

Sorry the qs are all about loos will try to change subject in another post lol

Comment

I don't carry a Porta-Potti or cassette loo - or rather I did for years, unused, because I was too squeamish to face having to empty it! Others generally empty theirs in public loos choosing a time when nobody else is around.

I top up with water supplies from garages, rural taps (there are quite a few of these in Scottish villages) or if I pass a supermarket. I smuggle several empty mineral water bottles into the 'baby room' in supermarkets because these have tall taps perfect for refilling such bottles, then carry them out in a store's bag. If necessary, I repeat the procedure several times. I have been watched by those stores with a 'greeter' on the door but nobody's ever queried my use of the baby rooms with the required baby. NB This water is only for washing. I have a separate supply of flavoured water for drinking.

Waste water is emptied into grids.

Comment

Freshen up Stops

Hi The CCC used to allow a empty toilet, waste water and fillup with fresh water and a Shower for £5 or so have a look on the CCC website

Comment

thanks guys for the great info

Comment

Originally posted by alf39 View Post
                        Hi The CCC used to allow a empty toilet, waste water and fillup with fresh water and a Shower for £5 or so have a look on the CCC website
                        Its gone up to £7 for a 3 hour stop now. Not sure if that is the rate for members or for everyone! Bit steep I think........

Comment

I was going to mention the stopover scheme with the C&CC, It is not economical to use as a single camper but it is great as a family. Use of showers, washing machines etc for 3 hours.

Comment

true guys seems a bit over the top price that and i think yiou have to put coins in washers on top of the price

Comment

re emptying loos - most of us at sometime during the day can find a public loo somewhere so porta pottis needn't be used. See also other threads on uriwells and similar.

If you were wild camping in a tent way off road, you could find somewhere suitable to use. (try reading "how to s**t in the woods" by K Meyer)

If in a camper van you on are on/near road therefore probably somewhere near public loo/cafe loo/shop loo at some time during the day.

Wild camping in a motor home in UK is rarely too far from "civilisation" to get enough fresh water. My 25 litre tank goes a long way.

Small amounts of waste water from sink won't cause problems if run into ground. I don't have a waste water "container" just a collapsible bucket which can be put under the waste pipe. If in the right sort of place I just let the water run out - in fact I only ever use the bucket if on hard standing on a camp site.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X