Wild camping and the law_

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild camping and the law_

It is my impression that unless a council makes a particular by-law forbidding sleepng/cooking in vehicles and display this by-law at frequent intervals it is not illegal.In fact each council has an obligation to make provisions for any one (eg lorry drivers) to stop and rest whilst travelling for safety reasons.To me it isn't wild camping at all. Sleeping in my Romahome is equivalent to the Hilton to me and I always correct people if they suggest anything different!

Originally posted by janet View Post
    It is my impression that unless a council makes a particular by-law forbidding sleepng/cooking in vehicles and display this by-law at frequent intervals it is not illegal.In fact each council has an obligation to make provisions for any one (eg lorry drivers) to stop and rest whilst travelling for safety reasons.To me it isn't wild camping at all. Sleeping in my Romahome is equivalent to the Hilton to me and I always correct people if they suggest anything different!
    Currently, trespass (which includes wild camping) is a civil wrong, not a criminal offense. Although wild camping is not permitted by law, it is not illegal (a subtle distinction), so you are unlikely to gain a criminal record by pitching your tent on a mountainside or parking your romahome on some scrubland. It can still have severe consequences though and you can face a fine if you are found to be on private land without permission.

So far as I am aware sleeping in vehicles is prohibited on public land and only permissible in designated areas (such as truck stops). I am not aware of any stipulation that councils have to display by-law signs. It is more likely they would have a by-law to allow overnight stays rather than one prohibiting it as this is the norm.

All that aside, people do continue to "wild camp" and most do not suffer any severe consequences.
    Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Hi Janet, I think this link sort of covers it

http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/roads.htm

Sleeping in a caravan or motor caravan is regarded as camping.
      You are not allowed to camp in England without the land owners permission.
      The land owner can only give permission if they are an authorized campsite (unless they are the local authority)
      Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Originally posted by Derek View Post

The land owner can only give permission if they are an authorized campsite (unless they are the local authority)
        That cannot be quite so limiting as it sounds - I camp on my daughter's drive - she is the "landowner" like to see anyone try to tell me I cannot do it. I allow friends to camp on my land - again I'd challenge anyone who told me I cannot give permission for people to camp on my land if I so wish - providing of course I am not trying to set up a public campsite. last weekend had one campervan (and mine was being slept in so that would make two) plus four tents on my land - all friends visiting.

Comment

[QUOTE=Derek;49710]Hi Janet, I think this link sort of covers it

That link makes it an awful lot clearer.
          derek b and Babs

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
            That cannot be quite so limiting as it sounds - I camp on my daughter's drive - she is the "landowner" like to see anyone try to tell me I cannot do it. I allow friends to camp on my land - again I'd challenge anyone who told me I cannot give permission for people to camp on my land if I so wish - providing of course I am not trying to set up a public campsite. last weekend had one campervan (and mine was being slept in so that would make two) plus four tents on my land - all friends visiting.
            Hi Cedas
            I was being a little simplistic, there are exemptions, the First Schedule at the end of this link gives them
            http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/8-9/62
            I think there is also a 60 day rule but that applies to tents only.
            Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

I think I ám correct about bylaws. Whitby has No sleeping/no cooking signs on every lamp-post; I was informed in Plymouth that their by-laws were in the council offices because a car park didn't stipulate no sleeping but the police weren't interested in me ..just an old lady who'd escaped from a nursing home with no clothes on and they wanted to know if I'd seen her. Still I've lost interest .. I've done it for years but never on scrap land..mostly public roads. Most Tesco car parks now have electronic detection of number plates and will request 60 pounds for the pleasure of staying over three hours. The Tescos in Cornwall,Devon do not welcome overnighters. This is why they introduced the electronic scanning because the "travellers" used to arrive and make themselves at home and even if it was only one night they caused problems. My philosophy is never cause offence, be very discreet and then no one can tell if the van is occupied or not. It's important not to give motor-homers a bad name but height barriers etc make it clear we are not always welcome.

Comment

[QUOTE=derek b;49734]
                Originally posted by Derek View Post

That link makes it an awful lot clearer.
                I think the emphasis is on AWFUL rather than clearer - clear as mud to me

Comment

PLLLease can some else read it all and tell me what it means?

when I was a tent camper I used to accept the above field markings/ roughly above 600m rule , a bit more complex with a van but I think if common sense is applied you could get away with one night stays in many places

Comment

Well as I understand it, it means that the DofT doesn't have a clue and neither does the Highways Agency (which is part of the DofT anyway).

Comment

wild camping and the law

I read that and it says that the government bodies asked, know of no national legislation that prohibits or gives the right to sleep in a vehicle on the road. By laws made locally may be in force, probably to prohibit, but there is nothing national.
                      Further to that I believe In Scotland there is a restricted right to camp on wild land but that does not include land within I think 100m of a road. In England there is no right but in some off road places it is common.

Comment

Originally posted by Derekoak View Post
                        I read that and it says that the government bodies asked, know of no national legislation that prohibits or gives the right to sleep in a vehicle on the road. By laws made locally may be in force, probably to prohibit, but there is nothing national.
                        Further to that I believe In Scotland there is a restricted right to camp on wild land but that does not include land within I think 100m of a road. In England there is no right but in some off road places it is common.
                        I don't think the "right to camp on wild land" in Scotland extends to motor vehicles. The right is part of the Scottish Access Code, which says:
                        "Access rights extend to wild camping except where there are seasonal camping restrictions such as on the shores of East Loch Lomond. Wild camping is lightweight, done in small numbers and only for two or three nights in any one place. You can camp in this way wherever access rights apply but help to avoid causing problems for local people and land managers by not camping in enclosed fields of crops or farm animals and by keeping well away from buildings, roads or historic structures. Take extra care to avoid disturbing deer stalking or grouse shooting. If you wish to camp close to a house or building, seek the owner's permission. Leave no trace by: taking away all your litter; removing all traces of your tent pitch and of any open fire (follow the guidance for lighting fires); not causing any pollution."

As far as I know, there is no special right to wild camp in a motorhome in Scotland although people often claim that there is. If anyone has evidence to the contrary, please let us know Having said that, there is certainly a more relaxed attitude to wild motorhome camping in Scotland than in England, and many small communities in the Highlands and Islands welcome it for the extra income it can bring to local shops and businesses.
                        .......... Sid

Comment

Originally posted by sid b View Post
                          Having said that, there is certainly a more relaxed attitude to wild motorhome camping in Scotland than in England, and many small communities in the Highlands and Islands welcome it for the extra income it can bring to local shops and businesses.
                          funnily enough have recently several converations about this year's tourist season in Highlands and Islands - has been quite poor compared with previous years - but consensus is that there are a lot of motorhomers around who don't spend any money locally at all

Sadly I am afraid I agree with them - and it seems that the bigger the motorhome the less they spend - they bring in all their food from bigger and cheaper towns then use our village hall for water/loos and wifi. - do these big motorhomers buy a coffee or drop in a donation? No way - they just park outside and link up to wifi - fill up with water from outside taps and use the loos and on they go...seemingly blissfully unaware that someone (ie US LOCALS) have to pay for this wifi and water via local fundraising

Sorry folks - gripe over - and it really does seem to be the bigger motorhomers that have this attitude - but please when in remote places - although local shops are dearer - please try to support communities by spending something locally.

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
                            funnily enough have recently several converations about this year's tourist season in Highlands and Islands - has been quite poor compared with previous years - but consensus is that there are a lot of motorhomers around who don't spend any money locally at all

Sadly I am afraid I agree with them - and it seems that the bigger the motorhome the less they spend - they bring in all their food from bigger and cheaper towns then use our village hall for water/loos and wifi. - do these big motorhomers buy a coffee or drop in a donation? No way - they just park outside and link up to wifi - fill up with water from outside taps and use the loos and on they go...seemingly blissfully unaware that someone (ie US LOCALS) have to pay for this wifi and water via local fundraising

Sorry folks - gripe over - and it really does seem to be the bigger motorhomers that have this attitude - but please when in remote places - although local shops are dearer - please try to support communities by spending something locally.
                            Not just some motorhomers who don't spend money. I am becoming aware that there seems to be a national hobby amongst some of my peer group, of how little they can spend. I hasten to add that this is NOT generally amongst people who do not have much of the folding.

I know several people who I would class as VERY well off, with high pension income and disposable income who won't spend a penny. I overheard one of my aquaintances say that one of his main aims is to see just how much he can achieve without spending a single penny in a day. He had travelled on buses into London, taken a packed lunch, visited several galleries and donated nothing, not even the 20p for the loo. When I went to Paris for the day with a friend (she had got very cheap day returns on train), she insisted on taking a packed lunch and would only eat in MacDonalds before the journey home because she could be sure how much it would cost. She can go alone next time.

In fact I am getting fed up with this emphasis on getting something for nothing, it is not done quietly but with great pride and seems to dominate their lives!!!!!

Let us make an effort to support local shops and services or they will cease to exist.

Now I am off to local shops.

Comment

The perceived lack of contribution to the local economy was one of the reasons the Isle of Colonsay banned motorhomes and caravans from the island for a short period.

Now they do permit them, but only by prior arrangement, and you must have a pitch booked (or an accommodation address if you're just using the van as a vehicle) before you can buy a ferry ticket.

Catch 22 - according to the Isle of Colonsay's tourism website "unfortunately no potential host has given permission for their contact details to be published here."

Clearly the locals still think that we're more trouble than we're worth.
                              Geoff

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X