Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nomad GB Map

Hello

For those of you who prefer to stay away from campsites you may find this map of some use. Its still very much a work in progress.

www.nomadgb.co.uk/map.html

At the moment I’m slowly working my way round the UK spotting POIs (using Google Earth) that would be of interest to motorhome users. So far I’ve located over 2800 rest stops (potential wild camping spots) and I’ve over 500 links to walks in Scotland and the lake district amongst a load of other POI categories. I’m adding to these on a daily basis.

The map is free to use (and it always will be) and if you want to check out a location you can simply drop the street view man onto the map to have a look around. I hope people find it useful and I’m happy to take suggestions for improvements both to the map and the POI categories in this thread.

I’m not planning to launch the site fully until March/April so it will continue to grow and develop until then.

Thanks
    My map, free to all to use.

Hi Nomad, just checked out your site and looks very impressive have book marked the site on mobile for when out and about. As the developing proceeds do you forsee an app maybe as well?

Comment

I’m not sure, I’d like to have one but I’ve never done anything like that before so not sure how much of a challenge that would be.

I think getting a good set of data together and a decent search engine ranking will be the priorities by April, beyond that I’ll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the feedback though, please spread the word
      Last edited by NomadGB; 08-01-2013, 22:39.

Comment

This looks like an interesting file.

There are a few spots marked which definitely aren't wilding areas, eg throughout the Elan Valley which is privately owned and anyone found camping will be moved on by the active rangers.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
          This looks like an interesting file.

There are a few spots marked which definitely aren't wilding areas, eg throughout the Elan Valley which is privately owned and anyone found camping will be moved on by the active rangers.
          Hi Karen if you let me know which ones are suspect I’ll take them off. Shame, as I was thinking of heading that way in March as it’s an area of Wales I’ve only visited briefly.
          Last edited by NomadGB; 09-01-2013, 09:54.

Comment

Hi Karen, I’ve just had a look round the Craig Goch Reservoir and spotted a well hidden parking sign - 9pm to 7am in the eves on the information stand. I’ve removed that point, thanks for letting me know.

Do you know if any others have these signs as some you can’t get near with Google earth to read all the signs?

I’ve added in the warning below to the ones in car parks.

Please note some car parks in the Elan Valley have a parking restriction between 9pm and 7am. If this location has a restriction please let us know and we’ll remove it from the map.
            Last edited by NomadGB; 09-01-2013, 10:20.

Comment

It's actually all of the Elan Valley. It's a private estate and no overnight parking is allowed on any part of the estate including the car parks and by the reservoirs so all of the links need to be removed.

If you visit, you can park overnight in Dark Lane car park, Rhayader free of charge where motorhomes are welcomed by Powys CC.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                It's actually all of the Elan Valley. It's a private estate and no overnight parking is allowed on any part of the estate including the car parks and by the reservoirs so all of the links need to be removed.

If you visit, you can park overnight in Dark Lane car park, Rhayader free of charge where motorhomes are welcomed by Powys CC.
                Ah, I see. I’ve now found a map of the areas covered by the estate and removed the relevant POIs from the map.

I didn’t have the Dark Lane site so thanks for the information. I’ll be adding in the other Powys CC car parks that allow overnighting as well
                Last edited by NomadGB; 09-01-2013, 15:44.

Comment

More for Scottish Isles

Tonight I’ve added another 179 rest stops covering the following Scottish Isles: -
                  • Mull
                  • Islay
                  • Jura
                  • Raasay
                  • Tiree
                  • Coll
                  • Arran
                  • Luing
                  • Bute

Just need to revisit the Shetlands to add Bunchy’s suggestions.

Comment

New Categories

Just adding two new categories to the Nomad Map: -
                    • Affordable Campsites
                    • Great Chippies

This is in addition to the ‘service point’ category that was added earlier in the week. I’m looking to remove both the LPG and Cashpoint data from the map as I have concerns over the accuracy of the data. I will however be providing links to other sites for this information.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadGB View Post
                      Just adding two new categories to the Nomad Map: -
                      • Affordable Campsites
                      • Great Chippies

This is in addition to the ‘service point’ category that was added earlier in the week. I’m looking to remove both the LPG and Cashpoint data from the map as I have concerns over the accuracy of the data. I will however be providing links to other sites for this information.
                      Ah, I see the fish suppers have made an appearance

If I could just comment on a couple of the Rest Stops you show:
                      (a) the one in Cullen at location 22.525 appears to be the bit of ground used for parking at the end of the no through road past the harbour. That is indeed used quite frequently by wild campers throughout the summer, but it isn't actually a public car park but private land (Seafield Estate) with permission for vehicular access for turning (no through road beyond there) and for access to the council's recycling point sited there. As far as I know the Estate doesn't object to overnight parking there, but be aware that you will have vehicles coming and going to turn, including delivery trucks for the joinery workshop during the daytime, and also large lorries coming in periodically to replace the recycling skips.
                      (b) if the one at New Aberlour at location 22.439 is the one I think it is, it is in a great location in a popular picnic area by the beach with good public conveniences close at hand - but for that very reason it seems to be being rather overused as a camping spot especially during the school summer holidays, with several vans usually to be found there (and often not moving for days at a time.)
                      .......... Sid

Comment

Originally posted by sid b View Post
                        Ah, I see the fish suppers have made an appearance
                        Yes, just added a batch this morning, more to come I expect. We will be taste testing a couple in Fleetwood this weekend

Comment

Just to clarify, the chippies are ones that either I’ve tried and loved or ones that have won the Seafish Awards. Its a hobby of ours, probably why I need to go on a diet.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadGB View Post
                            Yes, just added a batch this morning, more to come I expect. We will be taste testing a couple in Fleetwood this weekend
                            Taste testing chippies.................. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it!
                            .......... Sid

Comment

Originally posted by sid b View Post
                              Taste testing chippies.................. It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it!
                              As it turns out one good, one not as good.

I’ve uploaded the top 5 chippies in each of the regions plus my own personal favourites to the map.

Unfortunately there seems to be a problem with uploading new data to the maps, the problem appears to with Google though so the chippies will be last data uploaded until this issue is fixed. Just means that there will be a big batch of data to upload once its fixed.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X