Lots of special places here in Shetland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of special places here in Shetland

Shetland (where I live) has lots of excellent places. Great for otter watching etc. I used to have a Suzuki carry van that I camped out in. All the islands here have good places to pull over for wild camping.

Sounds wonderful and perfect for me - only I don't do boats!!

Comment

hi bunchy

hi we are hopeing to get up your way later in the year we going work how way up the western isles then over top then your area we just wating for a big hospital visit in feb if they sae denise is o.k down pick how new caravet up called it sunflower 2 week testing it out then home repack then off (diggdeep)

Comment

I’ll be looking at Shetland this weekend so there’ll be some on my map very soon.
        My map, free to all to use.

Comment

Hilarious photo!

Hi All,

There has been a really funny advert in the local paper this week about Shetland and places to camp. I've taken a photo, is there a way I can put it in a post for you all to see?

Comment

Hi - was just about to ask for photos!!!

If you scroll down to the bottom of the post theres a box that says manage attachments, click on that, find your pic on your computer, click on it and click and upload.

Comment

Funny advert from Shetland

Thanks! Here it is!image.jpg

Comment

We used four of those sites (Gardiesfauld, Eshaness, North Roe and Levenwick) during our June trip, though as the ad says they are all sites rather than "wild".

We also took a look at Collafirth Pier, and made use of the toilets in the Burravoe upturned boat!

And it's not just any old boat either!

Oops, it seems that I can no longer attach photos.

Even using the method described by Jayjay fails on both tablet and Netbook.

I'll have to go away and see if I can figure out what's changed!
                Last edited by Artoo0; 19-01-2013, 21:08.
                Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Bunchy View Post
                  Shetland (where I live) has lots of excellent places. Great for otter watching etc. I used to have a Suzuki carry van that I camped out in. All the islands here have good places to pull over for wild camping.
                  I’ve mapped out the locations that might be possible wild spots using Google Earth, I’d be interested in your thoughts as a local. (you’ll need to zoom out a bit to see all the islands.)

http://www.nomadgb.co.uk/map.html#/?...00000000000000

Thanks

Comment

OK, finally managed to attach photo which explains "upturned boat". :so happy:
                    It used to be a lifeboat on the "Canberra" no less!
                    Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
                      OK, finally managed to attach photo which explains "upturned boat". :so happy:
                      It used to be a lifeboat on the "Canberra" no less!
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]3647[/ATTACH]

here’s a link to more info (including prices)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadGB View Post
                        I’ve mapped out the locations that might be possible wild spots using Google Earth, I’d be interested in your thoughts as a local. (you’ll need to zoom out a bit to see all the islands.)

Thanks
                        Hi NomadGB

Clearly we're not local to Shetland, but thought I'd mention that, even as normally "non-wilders", we'd quite fancy spending a night at Norwick Bay (24.198 - photos linked below) on a return visit, though you might need to re-arrange the "furniture"!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1132415...94474622480562
                        https://picasaweb.google.com/1132415...27059444368914
                        https://picasaweb.google.com/1132415...27162691522482
                        Geoff

Comment

Thanks
                          Hi I've looked at your map of possible ideas and all looking good.

From a personal perspective I would mention a few places by name, I don't know how you put them onto google maps, willing to try if you would like!

Beaches good for wild camping;
                          Unst - Norwick, Lund, both beautiful and fine places to wild camp.
                          Yell - West Sandwick is very lovely and suitable for wild camping.
                          Fetlar - you are best to use the campsite as this island is small and you may be asked to move to the campsite which is like wild camping anyway!
                          Muckle Roe - there is a beach called Otters Ayre, you could camp at the end of the road (great view of hills) and then walk (10 mins) down track to a lovely beach with red sand.
                          North Mainland - hillswick by the wildlife Sanctuary, pebble beach, sandvoe near North Roe is a beach at the end of a sea Voe and sandy with unusual pebbles, there is a lay by area ok for wild camping.
                          Nesting area Shetland Mainland - Kirkabister is a rocky beach, good walks around area and a place to pull off road and wildcamp just after the kirk.
                          South Mainland - St Ninian car park area at the end of a track where a huge tombola of white sand begins is often used for wild camping. It is probably one of the most spectacular beaches in Shetland. Spiggie nearby is a place you can wildcamp in the sand dunes. Scord, Sumburgh is a crescent shaped sandy beach with good place for wild camping tho can sometimes smell of seaweed!
                          Burra Isle - Meal beach carpark is often used for wild camping, the view from the carpark is beautiful and there are toilets. The beach is white sand and the sea an amazing Emerald colour.

I can give OS co-ordinates if it helps. There are also great places for wild camping if you like to watch otters or unusual birds. I don't want to inundate you with possibilities!

Hope something there is useful!

Comment

Thanks I've tried to search out your suggestions above and got a bit stuck.

Norwick, St Ninian, Spiggie - I think I’ve got locations.
                            Lund - I can see a big car park from above but can’t get street view to check. Is the car park the place?
                            Muckle Roe - there’s a location NW of Roesound which has a path to a beach, is that the one?
                            North Roe - is that the layby opposite the graveyard?

For Meal, Hillswick, Kirkabister and if any of the above aren’t right, I’d be grateful for OS Coordinates if you have them.

Big Thanks
                            Last edited by NomadGB; 20-01-2013, 22:22.

Comment

Thanks I've tried to search out your suggestions above and got a bit stuck.

Norwick, St Ninian, Spiggie - I think I’ve got locations.
                              Lund - I can see a big car park from above but can’t get street view to check. Is the car park the place?
                              Muckle Roe - there’s a location NW of Roesound which has a path to a beach, is that the one?
                              North Roe - is that the layby opposite the graveyard?

For Meal, Hillswick, Kirkabister and if any of the above aren’t right, I’d be grateful for OS Coordinates if you have them.

Big Thanks
                              Hi, I am using OS Landranger series

Unst is sheet 1 Yell, Unst and Fetlar
                              Lund in Unst has no street just a tiny lane ending at a ruined kirk, car park area and the beach is below. Co-ordinates are 040 568 you may be able to follow on google if you locate Belmont ferry pier in Unst, follow the road A968 north first left a tiny road left again to Wick, tiny track/road keep following and you get to Lund.

Muckle Roe is NW Roe sound

North Roe, yes it is opposite graveyard.

Burra Isle is sheet 4 Shetland South Mainland
                              Meal is on Burra Isle. OS Co-ordinates are 355 375 the nearest place for a google search is Hamnavoe Burra Meal car park is South East. The whole area south of Meal on Burra is beautiful and worth exploring with a crescent beach at the South end called Papil in Shetland but Banna Minn officially. You can't wildcamp in Papil, it is very lovely though to explore, lots of seals most days.

Hillswick is on Sheet 3 Shetland North Mainland
                              I'm surprised it didn't come up on google as it is a little community. OS Co-ordinates are 770 282 You would camp in Tarmac area by toilets, virtually on the pebble beach. There is a beautiful sandy beach across the fields about 5/10 mins walk. There are often seals and occasionally Orcas in the Voe you would be parked up next to.
                              Kirkabister is on the same sheet Co-ordinates 580 493 it is on the East side of Shetland mainland, you can see otters there.

It's ages since I used OS co-ordinates and I have given you lat first long second! I can't remember if that is the right way round.

Good luck! It would be great to meet if you would like when you come to Shetland!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X