Thinking about overnight parking / wilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about overnight parking / wilding

We often visit Hunstanton, usually for a day trip. When the weathers nice we are tempted to stop overnight. The council are very thoughtful and you can park on the single yellow line along the cliff parade from 8.00AM to 10.00PM without charge. Excellent for a day out. I intend to do this midweek to avoid the crowds at weekends. I get two days out for my Diesel usage instead of one.

My plan is to leave our parking spot at the cliff at 10PM then head to a designated spot, sleep then arrive back early for a second day. I intend to keep safe by using common sense. (Arrive late leave early) Park where I can move at a moments notice, not leave litter etc. While I am happy to pay for the secutity of a site for longer spells. The great thing about the Roma is the ability to make up the beds then drive and climb into the back. Providing everything is stowed away we wake and drive. I wont be putting the stabilisers down or use and levellers either. I will be concious of others where we park and not to park where it clearly says not too.

Does anyone else do this. It will save a few pounds too which will be handy as we will be a two pensioner household this year!

Rick
    Growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Hi, you're doing what lots have been doing for years! Welcome to the freedom of wild camping
    Sounds like you've pretty much got it sussed. I recall staying in Hunstanton a few years ago and there was a car park you could park overnight in, for about £5 or something. I think someone said it had stopped operating but don't know if that's true or if it just changed status. I think £5 is a lot just to park, I certainly wouldn't pay it.

Comment

I've been doing this for years too. I see no sense in paying exorbitant fees for a patch of grass on a campsite or facilities I don't need with a fully-equipped van.

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
        I've been doing this for years too. I see no sense in paying exorbitant fees for a patch of grass on a campsite or facilities I don't need with a fully-equipped van.
        The thing is that some sites provide so much to cater to all. That means high site fees. If I intend to stay on a site of my choice then I bite the bullet and pay.

My Idea is to get away fairly locally for two full days with one overnight park / sleep. I have been mailing pubs and the YHA to see if they would mind an overnight if we used their facilities.

The duo is very small so we should be able to tuck in somewhere. I have been google mapping in earnest.
        Karen, have you encounted any problems when overnighting?

Cheers
        Rick

Comment

Staith lane

The excellent NOMAD site http://www.nomadgb.co.uk/map.html shows a spot at the end of a minor road a bit NW of Thornham, looks highly do-able, see http://tinyurl.com/c64dn4h Grid Ref TF727442. Arrive late, leave early, leave no sign, no harm done.

I've never been there mind you, there could be 'go away' signs but it's surely worth a look? The image is lifted from Streetview. BUT... check the tide tables and don't park there when there is a Spring Tide. The Environment Agency Flood Maps show that those puddles might not have been made by rain! See http://tinyurl.com/dy3mqpl
          Last edited by mikeroch; 20-04-2013, 17:15. Reason: add flood map info

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroch View Post
            The excellent NOMAD site http://www.nomadgb.co.uk/map.html shows a spot at the end of a minor road a bit NW of Thornham, looks highly do-able, see http://tinyurl.com/c64dn4h Grid Ref TF727442. Arrive late, leave early, leave no sign, no harm done.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]4207[/ATTACH]
            I've never been there mind you, there could be 'go away' signs but it's surely worth a look? The image is lifted from Streetview. BUT... check the tide tables and don't park there when there is a Spring Tide. The Environment Agency Flood Maps show that those puddles might not have been made by rain! See http://tinyurl.com/dy3mqpl
            Many thanks, You have just given one of my spots away No worries
            I know about this spot and have found vans parked up during the day. I also have a tide table!

Cheers for taking the time to post, it's appreciated.

Rick

Comment

Result

I mailed a local hotel that overlooks the sea. I asked them if we could overnight in their car park. I said I was willing to pay. They came back to me saying that we could, and the charge would be £10. While this does not constitute wilding it is a safe option and a particularly beautiful beauty spot.

Worth a tenner to me and use of the hotels Bar toilets etc.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by saltflybum View Post
                ... I have been mailing pubs and the YHA to see if they would mind an overnight if we used their facilities...
                In years gone by you could camp in the grounds at some YHA hostels for half their usual overnight charge and have use of all the hostel facilities - apart from the beds obviously! I don't know if that's still the case and can't find any reference to it on their website.

I've read somewhere recently that this is still available at some Scottish hostels, but haven't checked if that's correct.

Whether this would be available to vans as well as tents I don't know.
                Geoff

Comment

I you park during the day and sleep during the day then you can sight see at night and not worry about anything.

You too can be like me!

Comment

[QUOTE=mikeroch;68573]The excellent NOMAD site http://www.nomadgb.co.uk/map.html

Just out of curiosity I checked the nomad site for near where I live - it suggests a potential rest stop in a passing place on a single track road about 100 yds from where I live!!

Another suggested rest stop is at the end of a very rough single track road outside a frequently used agricultural shed. A small van might get away with a late arrive/early leave stop there but I know if they coincided with the estate farmers they would not be overly popular.

But nevertheless an interesting site - thanks - I will check it out in future but based on my home experience won't rely too much on the recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
                      In years gone by you could camp in the grounds at some YHA hostels for half their usual overnight charge and have use of all the hostel facilities - apart from the beds obviously! I don't know if that's still the case and can't find any reference to it on their website.

I've read somewhere recently that this is still available at some Scottish hostels, but haven't checked if that's correct.

Whether this would be available to vans as well as tents I don't know.
                      When I went to outer hebrides last year I noticed that SYHAs there offer use of facilities and carpark. Didn't use them in the end as didn't need to. But worth contacting individual hostels to check

Comment

Let Nomad know of any places on his site that aren't suitable for rest stops and he will take them off. I believe it was mostly researched via google earth and what looks ok on there might not be any good, local knowledge wins every time.

Comment