Dover area wild camping spots.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dover area wild camping spots.

Ok, thought I might help out a bit with regularly used and known wild camping spots in the Dover, Kent, area.

Langdon Cliffs - overlooking Eastern Docks. Basically behind Dover Castle. No height barrier. It is a vast National Trust beauty spot site, with cliff top parking and cafe etc and charges admission for entrance during the day. However, during the evening it has a parking area left accessible throughout the night, overlooking the Eastern Docks (Port of Dover). Used by locals for eating their take aways, canoodling, small groups of boy racers etc. but the police pop their heads in now and again so there isn't any trouble. Often used by camper van overnight as a free stopover to catch the ferry. I would suggest you do not arrive until mid-evening and be gone by 8.30am and no one will bother you. About a mile from Dover town centre and a spit from the docks. Beware of cliff edge if you have a dog though, you wouldn't want Rover to take short cut to the ferry......

Dover Patrol Memorial - St Margaret's at Cliffe. Google Dover Patrol Memorial or drive right through St. Margaret's village and look for the brown tourist sign on the left. No height barrier. 5 miles from Dover. A beauty spot with open area of parking where you can fit about six motor homes. Right next to the Bluebird tea rooms. In the summer numerous camper vans every evening throughout the night. Cliff top, can be windy. Suggest arriving after the tea rooms have shut (late afternoon/early evening) and gone by 9am. Be aware, above the tea rooms is a very pricey holiday flat, so treat your stay as you would like a camper to treat the area around your holiday flat if you'd spent a grand to be there for the week! Keep the noise down and yourself to yourself..... 20 mins from Port of Dover. Locals know of it, but too far from Dover or Deal to bother with, just for a snog.......

St. Margaret's Bay - um..... St Margaret's Bay, I suppose..... Council owned huge gravel beach front car park, pay and display during the day. No height restrictions, no marked bays. Drive right through st. Margaret's village and just keep going. Adjacent to Coastguard pub. Five minutes from previously mentioned Dover Patrol Memorial. BEWARE road drops away and twists and turns VERY steep and narrow downhill for about quarter of a mile to car park. Often used by motor homes overnight. Suggest arriving after 6pm and leaving about 8am before parking restrictions kick in. Go for a meal and a pint in the pub. DO NOT park overnight in pub car park, however. That wouldn't be fair. Locals use occasionally during the evening for nefarious purposes, but too close to pub for there to be any trouble. 20 mins from docks, five miles from Dover. Public loos adjacent but your Radar key won't work after they are locked for the night, sorry.

Lighthouse Road, St. Margaret's at Cliff. Opposite the turning for Dover Patrol Memorial and very near St. Margaret's Bay. Use your sat nav, Lighthouse Road. Public unmade road leading to fields and small country park. Drive past all the houses in to the track. VERY MUDDY and unmade but you won't get stuck, don't worry. There are a couple of areas outside the width of the road where it is easy to park overnight without bother. It is wilderness and a bit spooky, so if you want security, don't go here. Do not turn left over the cattle grid to get in to country park unless you can squeeze under 6' 6" height barrier. Lighthouse Road is a dead end and narrows quickly (you'll see it coming) so turn yourself around and face the way to come out before going to bed. Suggest arrival mid evening and leave 9am. Don't use continually as locals walk their dogs here and will get suspicious/grumpy if you're there regularly. Handy for a one nightwear, I reckon.

Walmer Castle - very small car park - Deal. Ok! This is a small parking area near Walmer Castle, adjacent to public loos. Follow the signs for the castle. At the end of Granville Road ( t-junction) you will see the public loo block opposite. There is enough room to squeeze on maybe three campers to the right of it, here. No height barrier, no parking restrictions. It's the off road parking for the loos and beach, basically. Suggest arrival mid evening and toddle off at your leisure, really. Now, do not go to the larger gravel car park directly opposite Walmer Castle unless you have a Hylo or are under 6'6" cos it is height restricted. If you can squeeze in, all well and good cos there are no parking restrictions here either. Half hour from the Port of Dover.

I have more, I'll check them out before posting, but I hope these help.

Panda
    These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Hi Panda

Welcome to the forum, these will be really useful for our members who wildcamp, thanks for sharing.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Good post Pandabloke.
      Being Kent born and bred have used Langdon many times when a Trust member(freebie). St Margarets Bay is odd in that you are logged onto French Mobile Phone Networks whilst there, as the UK signal is blocked behind the cliff.

Tony Anchorman

Comment

Hi Pandabloke,
        thank you so much for your super informative post!! We tried Langdon first yesterday but as of July an automatic gate has been installed that closes at 7 pm. And an official car drove by telling us to leave. We then moved to the Dover Patrol memorial which was a prime place!! We were all on our own (apart from people walking their dogs). Super quiet place with lovely views!! Then this morning I walked the 15 min. down to the bay (a really nice walk via the coastal path).There were three campers there, but officially overnight camping is now prohibited.
        Thank you once more from a family from Germany, now heading for the ferry.
        Kind regards, Sonja

Comment

Hi there. Thanks for the feedback.

This is a very old post and indeed Langdon Cliffs and walmer Castle now gated at night. St. Margaret's Bay is an official pay and display car park but I believe the district council will not give you any grief provided you behave yourself and you have a ticket for the necessary periods. I have spent many a night down there, including quite recently.

However, none of these places is officially a campsite, obviously, so you takes your chances!

Panda

Comment

I stayed on Marine Parade last year. Got there about 5:30am, quite a few other motorhomes there. It was free overnight but I got a 3 hour ticket which kicked in at 7 or 8am so I could have a few hours sleep before the ferry.

Comment

Bit of an amendment here. Lighthouse Road at St Margaret's has apparently become a restricted byway with 'no motor vehicle' signs. Now best avoided to prevent us upsetting the locals, I reckon.

Also Langdon Cliffs is now gated at night, unfortunately. This has driven the boy racers in to one very small car park in Dover, which means that dog walkers, courting couples, ferry watchers and the like, can no longer use that other small car park cos it's full of old Clios. Madness......

Panda

Comment

We have just come across to Holland from Harwich, and there is a very nice sea front road a couple of miles from the ferry terminal where we spent a peaceful night. Harwich that is, not the Rotterdam end. Holland by the way has thousands of nooks and crannies where you can stay overnight, things like sandy car park areas in forests. No need to pay Euros to stay anywhere. (In a campervan that is, not a caravan, I don't think you would get a caravan in some of the places we have been)
                The king knows all that they intend by interception which they dream not of.

Comment