camping nr inverness??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

camping nr inverness??

Probably seems like a silly question from someone who lives up here anyway - but Inverness is 130 miles away. I need to be in Inverness one day in November - don't fancy there and back in one day so I looked for campsites - they all seem to close at end of October. Can any of you suggest campsite or safe place to stop for just one night ?- just one person (so called elderly female alone - ha ha)

There's a rather nice spot at Charlestown overlooking the Beauly Firth...
    Last edited by karenw; 29-09-2014, 20:07.

Comment

thanks Karen

Comment

Portmahomock is a nice little village around 30 miles from Inverness, heading north over the bridge and the Black Isle, onto the Tain Peninsular. There are a few car parks there, overlooking the harbour. I don't think they mind the odd overnighter there out of season. There's a pub on the front as well, maybe ask them if you can park overnight in their car park...

There used to be a C&CC site at Nigg on the B9175, but I don't know if it's still there. I used to know the people who owned the pub there. Called Nigg Ferry. There is a car park there for the ferry, and also one behind the pub. If you follow the road out behind the pub and the cottages, there are plenty of places for wilding there, it used to be very popular in summer. Might even be able to stay a night on the pub car park, right next to the beach if the place is still open.

Other than that, there is a service station on the A9 just after Alness at Tomich where you can stay overnight.
        Cromarty and Fortrose on the Black Isle have other wilders destinations.

Only problem with these is they are not on your way home! Ullapool is a nice little town, I think you used to be able to stay on their Tesco? car park overnight for a small charge.
        Last edited by jayjay; 30-09-2014, 09:16.

Comment

You could try down by 'The Maggot' caravan park in Nairn, there is a public car park accessed by driving through the caravan park, right next to the beach which is open to campers. Or how about really wild and up at Lochindorb, probably around 25 miles from Inverness, south of Nairn before the Cairngorms NP

Comment

This CS is 10 miles from Inverness and appears to be open all year
            http://www.campingandcaravanningclub...rinherbnursery

Don't know anything else about it though.
            Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Portmahomock is a nice little village around 30 miles from Inverness, heading north over the bridge and the Black Isle, onto the Tain Peninsular. There are a few car parks there, overlooking the harbour. I don't think they mind the odd overnighter there out of season. There's a pub on the front as well, maybe ask them if you can park overnight in their car park...

There used to be a C&CC site at Nigg on the B9175, but I don't know if it's still there. I used to know the people who owned the pub there. Called Nigg Ferry. There is a car park there for the ferry, and also one behind the pub. If you follow the road out behind the pub and the cottages, there are plenty of places for wilding there, it used to be very popular in summer. Might even be able to stay a night on the pub car park, right next to the beach if the place is still open.

Other than that, there is a service station on the A9 just after Alness at Tomich where you can stay overnight.
              Cromarty and Fortrose on the Black Isle have other wilders destinations.

Only problem with these is they are not on your way home! Ullapool is a nice little town, I think you used to be able to stay on their Tesco? car park overnight for a small charge.
              Thanks for the ideas Jayjay - will bear in mind for another time but on this occasion I don't want to be too far from Inverness (or Smithton where I have to be) - or if I have to be a bit further out it does need to be on way home - otherwise I'd end up spending more on travel than saving by camping. I rather like the idea of the Nigg ferry one - but for another time.

Comment

I would check out the caravan park above Balloch its about the closest to Smithton, Failing that I would wild camp at Alturlie point, quiet dead end road only 2 miles from Smithton, or you could park up at Culloden Battle Field if you don't mind ghosts, cheap cheerful pub grub at the Culloden Inn 1 mile away.

B.

Comment

Clava Cairns

I always stay overnight at CLAVA CAIRNS carpark when doing my monthly shop

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...ay=844490&lm=0

some 9km east of Inverness. Interesting Neolithic cairns, quiet spot, no height barriers or nasty 'go away' signs. Approx postcode IV2 5EJ

Comment

Thanks - neolithic cairns alway fascinate me!! I'll have to look them up on RCHMAS

Comment

We wildcamped right at the end of the "Glen Nevis" road that goes past the mountain centre. There is an isolated car park about 6 mile

P1020122c.jpg

Comment

wild camping

Originally posted by Donk's Dad View Post
                        We wildcamped right at the end of the "Glen Nevis" road that goes past the mountain centre. There is an isolated car park about 6 mile

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7816[/ATTACH]
                        bet you thought you were in heaven there, Scotland is wilding at it,s best
                        PS http://www.campingandcaravanningclub..rinherbnursery is also a BRITSTOP site stayed there often
                        Margaret and Angus will make you welcome
                        Last edited by doolz; 01-02-2015, 13:13.

Comment

We wildcamp when ever/where ever we can and spent a fortnight in Scotland in 2014 with one night mid-fornight on a site to shower, the same in 2013 in Ireland covering 2000 miles on each trip.

The same for wales is on the cards for this year.

P1020137c.jpg

On a beach on Mull

P1010354.jpg

Edge of a field in Ireland
                          Attached Files

Comment

camping nr inverness??

Great fotos taken in England ,Scotland OR Wales? you sure do like you,r wilding :veryhappy

Comment

Nairn

Hi there, I wild camp a lot throughout the year. I have to travel from North Uist to Aberdeen(my home town) and I sometimes park in Nairn Harbour, which is so close to the beach. I prefer the North Road to Skye so looking here at some of your posts on wild camping places is good for me. There are loads of places to wild camp on the north road and it is relatively quiet. No problems, and beautiful scenery. The Hebrides have so many wild places to camp too, and there are so many motorhomes and campers visit there every summer. No one bothers campers as they are good for the local economy . The ferry is 70 pounds return for a small van, I think up to 4 mtrs ,same as cars. There are a few sites too, I have seen people arrive just for a shower and away again. Most are 1 pound coin operated so no probs there either. Happy camping. Lorraine

Comment