Wild Camping/Sites North Yorkshire Moors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Camping/Sites North Yorkshire Moors

We are going to a concert at The Band Room - a tiny venue on the North Yorkshire Moors. Trying to work out where to stay and wondered about wild camping. Does anyone have any ideas?

If we book a site it would mean arriving back there after the concert at about 11.30pm/Midnight which is probably not practical.

We do not know the area at all. Post code of the concert is YO62 7UY

All ideas welcome!
    Last edited by Vanderella; 26-02-2011, 09:32.
    Mary

I'd like to know a bit more about wild camping generally. Is there somewhere to read about it?

Hope you find a good spot

BA

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
      We are going to a concert at The Band Room - a tiny venue on the North Yorkshire Moors. Trying to work out where to stay and wondered about wild camping. Does anyone have any ideas?

If we book a site it would mean arriving back there after the concert at about 11.30pm/Midnight which is probably not practical.

All ideas welcome!
      Hi folks
      The big difference between The C&CC and The Caravan Club is that the latter treat you as grown ups.Once you have booked in you are given your own site key and come and go as you please at any time of day or night,
      I suggest you phone them at E.Grinstead and ask which site is open nearest to your venue. Why rough it,when you can have a little luxury.Hot showers,nice loos,EHU etc etc. and security.

Rowntree park .York is open all year
      There are 12 sites around the moors and most open in march.
      Last edited by Ian.C.S; 27-02-2011, 10:54.
      Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi Mary

Might be worth asking at the Band Room if they know of anywhere. They may even have somewhere on site or at least in the village where they could let you stay.

Looks a brilliant place, I hadn't heard of it before. Who are you going to see?

J

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
          Hi folks
          The big difference between The C&CC and The Caravan Club is that the latter treat you as grown ups.Once you have booked in you are given your own site key and come and go as you please at any time of day or night,
          I suggest you phone them at E.Grinstead and ask which site is open nearest to your venue. Why rough it,when you can have a little luxury.Hot showers,nice loos,EHU etc etc. and security.

Rowntree park .York is open all year
          There are 12 sites around the moors and most open in march.
          Thanks Ian - we did some more research and opted for location with some creature comforts/facilties. Have booked a C & CC CS called South View at Fadmoor. Looks to be only 10 minutes drive or so from The Band Room and they seem to have good facilities for a tiny site, with electric hook ups, toilets, showers etc. The farmer's wife was more than OK with us arriving back late at night and promised to leave the toilet lights on for us as it is very, very dark out there on the moors!
          Mary

Comment

Thanks Ian - we did some more research and opted for location with some creature comforts/facilties. Have booked a C & CC CS called South View at Fadmoor. Looks to be only 10 minutes drive or so from The Band Room and they seem to have good facilities for a tiny site, with electric hook ups, toilets, showers etc. The farmer's wife was more than OK with us arriving back late at night and promised to leave the toilet lights on for us as it is very, very dark out there on the moors!
            sounds perfect,maybe she will have some goodies for sale? fresh milk,eggs,etc
            I love sites like that.
            Have a fab time

Comment

Originally posted by jan View Post
              Hi Mary

Might be worth asking at the Band Room if they know of anywhere. They may even have somewhere on site or at least in the village where they could let you stay.

Looks a brilliant place, I hadn't heard of it before. Who are you going to see?

J
              Hi Jan

We thought about phoning the Band Room but in the end decided against bothering them!

We are very excited as we have always wanted to go to a gig there, they only have about 3 or so shows a year and can only fit in audiences of 100. Billed as 'England's tiniest major venue,' 'The greatest small venue on Earth,' and 'a corrugated iron shed in the middle of nowhere.' - they seem to attract some VERY high profile performers!

We are going to see Sarabeth Tucek on 6th May. John is a real fan of hers and booked as soon as he heard that she was doing a UK Tour. (He says to Google her if you are interested as he thinks she is amazing!)
              Mary

Comment

Bin Wild Camping all our life.

We Eileen and Roger have been camping wild all our lives, all over Europe and England and have never been turned off yet. But you have to make sure you are hidden from the road; we have always made the van look as if has broken down. Dont light a fire, and sleep as soon as it gets dark. Then we are up and away before 8 in the morning just great. Also we have always found some were to camp every night before 6. So no worries and free. Wassail Roger & Eileen.

All ideas welcome!
                Roger Green.Roger Green.

Comment

The more you describe wild camping,the more it sounds like you are hiding from the enemy!
                  thats not my idea of fun,or peace and security.
                  I fear that if you play with fire sooner or later you will get burned.
                  I hope for all your sakes it never happens,but I will not join you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                    The more you describe wild camping,the more it sounds like you are hiding from the enemy!
                    thats not my idea of fun,or peace and security.
                    I fear that if you play with fire sooner or later you will get burned.
                    I hope for all your sakes it never happens,but I will not join you.
                    I agree with you Ian, Roger Green wrote: "make sure you're hidden, make the van look like it broken down, sleep when its dark, off before 8am"

I'm sure it's fine for those that like that sort of thing but I would rather pay a few quid and feel safe, leave my lights on when I am in bed reading, have a lie in next morning, get up open the door and chat to my neighbours etc etc.

I'll be using camp sites I think.
                    Graham
                    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I don't understand why you can't just park up somewhere if there are no signs saying no overnight parking and no signs saying it is private land. Is it illegal in some way that people have to lay low and keep their lights out?

Barbara Anne

Comment

Our van isn't exactly invisible! There are a lot of stroppy landowner's and nervous people around. No point in causing necessary trouble

One day I was having a really lovely walk in the woods and I must have accidently taken the wrong path - an irate landowner started shouting at me at the top of his voice - it totally ruined my walk and I have never forgotten how much he shocked and frightened me.

I agree with Graham about a lazy/relaxed start to the day rather than beating a hasty retreat at dawn.
                        Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Ewig View Post
                          I don't understand why you can't just park up somewhere if there are no signs saying no overnight parking and no signs saying it is private land. Is it illegal in some way that people have to lay low and keep their lights out?

Barbara Anne
                          The short answer is YES.its illegal.
                          You cannot camp overnight on any public highway,that includes laybys and parking places. Most car parks dont allow it,to stop "travellers" setting up campsites.All municipal open grounds ban it.Private property,including forestry and farmland is - Private,unless it says otherwise.
                          You not only risk arrest,you risk attack by undesirables.Your insurance is of course null and void if you camp illegally.
                          Wild campers will naturally try to argue against me,but that IS the legal position.
                          You may I believe FREE CAMP in many parts of Scotland quite legally,scots law is different,but you need to check where.
                          Dont try it in Northern Ireland,your van will be confiscated under the strong anti terrorism laws they have there.
                          In the wilder parts of wales,england and the South west you might get away with the odd night,but it is still not legal.

Comment

I disagree. I've been solo wilding for years and love it. I aim to only use a campsite/CL for one night in about four/five - ie when I really can't last any longer without a shower!!

Ian - there's a lot more 'tolerance' than you may think, particularly in small villages. Meet the locals, use the local shops and bakeries, introduce yourself, be courteous and considerate and you find they advise on the best places to park and will keep an eye out for you. I've parked in some superb locations and met some great characters and very helpful locals - including one chap in Yorkshire who popped across to me each morning with a weather forecast.

Some Councils allow overnight parking in car parks eg Powys around the Brecon Beacons and it helps to bring trade into an area so that everyone benefits.

I wouldn't advocate wilding in city centres (although I know many who do) on a Friday/Saturday night but in rural areas you really can't beat it and it's especially easy in Scotland.

Camping, for me, is about dispensing with materialism, getting back to nature (albeit with netbook, phone...) and being self-sufficient.

Why not have a rethink and give it a try...?

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                              I disagree. I've been solo wilding for years and love it. I aim to only use a campsite/CL for one night in about four/five - ie when I really can't last any longer without a shower!!

Ian - there's a lot more 'tolerance' than you may think, particularly in small villages. Meet the locals, use the local shops and bakeries, introduce yourself, be courteous and considerate and you find they advise on the best places to park and will keep an eye out for you. I've parked in some superb locations and met some great characters and very helpful locals - including one chap in Yorkshire who popped across to me each morning with a weather forecast.

Some Councils allow overnight parking in car parks eg Powys around the Brecon Beacons and it helps to bring trade into an area so that everyone benefits.

I wouldn't advocate wilding in city centres (although I know many who do) on a Friday/Saturday night but in rural areas you really can't beat it and it's especially easy in Scotland.

Camping, for me, is about dispensing with materialism, getting back to nature (albeit with netbook, phone...) and being self-sufficient.

Why not have a rethink and give it a try...?
                              Forgive me Karen,I was not decrying your activities,you are much braver than I.
                              its not for me.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X