Wild Camping/Sites North Yorkshire Moors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doblo7 View Post
    I have overnighted in laybyes and didn't know it is illegal ......
    Paul.
    That is different information to what I was told by an ex-traffic cop who has a caravan. There is a dividing line between stopping temporarily, and taking up residence as some 'travellers' are wont to do. Stopping temporarily in a layby is legal because that is what they are there for. However when you put down the legs of a caravan in a layby My friend said that could be considered as taking up residence, or intending to take up residence. He said that it is OK to stop your caravan in a layby and get in it and have a cup of tea / meal but as they have to draw a line somewhere it has been decided that putting down the legs is pushing it. If the caravan is still attached to the car and not surrounded by big red gas bottles, old fridges and other scrap rubbish, you will not get any bother. As for a motorhome I didn't have that specific discussion with him but I cannot see where a dividing line would be between someone in a lorry stopping overnight, a Horse box stopping overnight, a race car transporter stopping overnight, a car delivery flatbed stopping overnight or a Berlingo with a bed in the back stopping overnight. If you say 'if it has a bed it cannot stop' then that rules out a lot of HGVs. If you stop in a car without a bed but with seats that fold flat is that not allowed?
    We usually start looking for a layby if that is what we want, when it starts to get dim in the evening. We bypass a few 'part of the road' laybys and look for one that is a section of old road that leaves a decent gap between us and the road. In France that is easy, they are everywhere, and commonly have tables, benches, barbecues and sometimes toilets. I wouldn't go on anyone's private land.
    All streams flow to the sea, yet the sea is never full. Ecclesiastes Ch 1

Comment

Thanks Gasgas. This is all a bit hypothetical at the moment and my early trips when we can make trips will be to friends who have places where I can put the van.

I once found an ideal layby - a bit of old road separate from the new road as you describe and by a field of cabbages near King's Lynn which you don't describe. I've looked for it since but not found it. There must be lots of fields of cabbages and perhaps the field in question now has turnips. But for the reason stated, and others, this is as said now hypothetical.

I must go and turn off the solar panel or it will cook the battery (unless the electronics stops that - I'm not sure).

Paul.
      Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

Doblo7 If you have a regulator for the solar panel it should not allow the battery to cook. I leave mine connected to the mains and the solar panel all the time. On a bright sunny day the battery voltage climbs to about 13.5 or 13.7 and then the regulator maintains that voltage as best it can. In other words in bright overhead sun the battery (in my case 2 leisure batteries and one engine battery) will reach 13.5 and then when it gets dim or dark the vehicle electronics drop it a bit, when it drops to 12.5 the mains charging takes over and maintains it.
        If you have a voltmeter you can check if the battery is overcharging - on a bright sunny day measure the voltage and if it is anything over 13.7 yes, disconnect the panel. If you don't have a regulator they are about £20 from the usual suspects, and easy to wire in. What is the wattage of your panel?
        All streams flow to the sea, yet the sea is never full. Ecclesiastes Ch 1

Comment

Doblo7 Paul

Re Solar Panel as gasgas says that is the function of the charge controller. I think it may damage your solar panel running it in what is effectively "Open circuit" mode.
          I have used solar panels since 2012 and they have never been switched off. The charge controller does the same job as the voltage regulator on the altenator cuts out when the battery reaches max voltage 14.5volts

Jon
          Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Comment

Thanks folks. I have just checked the instrument panel and I see that I HAD inadvertently left the solar panel on charge: it was registering 2.8 amps with the weather overcast, and the leisure battery voltage is at the top of the scale. The voltmeter is unfortunately not numbered whereas the ammeter is a good one and is numbered but it somewhat dominates the panel. I know the correct wiring with a controller should keep everything in good order. I put the stuff in and it's been there working well for eight years, so it should be working ok now.
            When I leave the van for long periods as now I prefer to turn the panel off, but it probably isn't necessary. Let's hope that not too far ahead we will be able to get out in our vans and put them to their intended use.

Paul.
            Seek to make a virtue of necessity.

Comment

Amazed to see this thread resurrected! Happy memories. We had our little red VW van then, and our lovely scottie dog.
              Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                Amazed to see this thread resurrected! Happy memories. We had our little red VW van then, and our lovely scottie dog.
                And we’ve got happy memories of seeing you, JohnF and of course who could forget FloraDora, at our meets.
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

It is illegal to park overnight in the Lake district national Park .we were stopped on two Rough car parks all day the travelling warden made it clear what would happen if we stayed over night ....When I was working I would see camper vans parked up in tucked away places and see all the rubbish they left behind .
                  BuzznDave

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X